PDA

View Full Version : New Fretboards

adam
18-04-2019, 05:30 PM
We will start to see some new fretboard materials coming through in the next few months, to replace the Engineered Rosewood, which had a few issues with the early batches and had mixed reviews.

One is Roasted Jatoba, which Ibanez is using.

Anyone have any experience with these Jatoba fretboards.

The other option is PauFerro, which will be coming with our next order of A Series kits in June.

Any thoughts on these and other fretboard options?

Brendan
18-04-2019, 06:33 PM
Oooh like it!

PJSprog
18-04-2019, 10:47 PM
I think either option would be nice. That roasted Jatoba looks sweet.

Sonic Mountain
19-04-2019, 08:08 AM
The Jatoba pic looks great. Be interested to see the other one. Definitely seems a better option than the engineered option.

Fretworn
19-04-2019, 11:06 AM
If it’s a single piece of wood it has to be an improvement.

Mr.Drifter
19-04-2019, 03:13 PM
Thought my 7 string ibby had a jatoba fretboard, but nop. Rosewood.

Pretty sure I've played on ibbys with jatoba, but haven't really noticed much. I don't think I've ever really noticed much in regards to different fretboard materials

TZK321
19-04-2019, 04:36 PM
I'd prefer just about any real wood fret board to a synthetic wood. What about bamboo? I imagine it's cheap and definitely environmentally friendly. FWIW Relish is using it on their guitars.

Andy123
19-04-2019, 11:47 PM
If it’s a single piece of wood it has to be an improvement.
My initial thought when the announcement was made about Rosewood was that just about any solid board that was dark in colour would do the trick. I was surprised to discover the "engineered" alternative that has been used.

These look nice.

Rabbitz
22-04-2019, 02:43 PM
Looks nice.

I know a couple of blokes who have made rifle stocks and knife scales out of Australian rosewood (Dysoxylum fraserianum) which doesn't appear to be one of the CITES species.

I have no idea where to get it or how it would be as a fretboard material but it may be an option.

Apparently it cuts quite a lightish red but will darken to a rich red/brown over time.