PDA

View Full Version : DiMarzio Model J's (DP123BK)

fender3x
18-04-2019, 01:19 AM
Thought I'd check here to see if there is any interest in a set of DiMarzio Model J bass pickups. They are in virtually perfect condition, but they are in the USA, and I have no idea what it would cost to ship to Australia, the UK or Europe. Should be around US$10 in the US to ship them.... I would be happy to post pics if there is interest.

I had them on my Frankenbass where they got light use. Only played out with them once. I got them because I was not totally satisfied with how it's Jazz pickup sounded, and wanted it to sound more like a P-bass. If you've never heard them, there are lots of sound clips on the internet. They don't sound quite like a P, but are a bit beefier than a J. They are side-by-side humbuckers (one coil under the E and A strings, one coil under the G and D strings), and are very quiet. Good pickups that do what they are supposed to, but I decided that I wanted Frank to sound more like a P-bass, so I re-routed, and put a set of EMG Geezer Butlers in it. There's no going back now ;-)

The DiMarzios go for $120 on eBay with free shipping. I figure half is $50 with the buyer picking up the shipping.

If anyone is interested, I will throw in a pre-wired control plate. The plate came off of an SX bass. The controls are wired with one volume, one blend pot and one tone, and have Jazz style knobs included. All pots 500K. The cap is an Sprague orange drop. The vol and the tone pot are push pull. Down the pups are in serial (as DiMarzio recommends), up they are parallel--a setting I have never, ever used...so not much wear on the push-pulls. I usually get CTS pots...but these are not CTS. I think I got them from Allparts, but I am not sure. Wiring is not pretty, but it all works and it's quiet.

I'll leave this here for a couple of weeks to see if there is interest. If not, I'll put it on ebay ;-)

fender3x
27-04-2019, 01:38 AM
Just checked with the post office. Looks like a flat rate box to AU would be US$26.85...so the total would be about AU$109. Not sure how long the shipping takes.

fender3x
17-11-2020, 08:26 AM
Sold'em to someone in California on Reverb. Too bad there does not seem to be a cost effective way to ship to or from the US to where most folks on the forum live.