PDA

View Full Version : A Symphony of Angels

Rabbitz
05-04-2019, 01:36 PM
Mrs Rabz and I went and saw "A Symphony of Angels" at the Sydney Opera House last night.

The Angels playing 20 or so of their biggest tunes backed by the Sydney Lyric Orchestra and the Sydney Philharmonic Choir.

An absolute cracker of a gig.

Dave Gleeson (ex-Screaming Jets) is the frontman and fills Doc Neeson's almost un-fillable boots admirably. Gleeson has a similar voice to Doc but isn't trying to be Doc which was a relief.

The Brewster brothers still have the magic in spades and their axe work was phenomenal. Their tribute to Doc and Chris Bailey during the show was heartfelt and a bit raw - it was, by coincidence, the anniversary of Bailey's passing.

The final encore song was, of course, Am I Ever Gonna See Your Face Again - I thought the roof was going to come crashing down! To be part of a bunch of mostly 50/60/70 year olds to go nuts like that was fantastic, I reckon we've all still got it.

Got chatting to Dave Gleeson's Dad after the gig, he was a pretty proud man I can tell you.

Andy40
05-04-2019, 03:35 PM
Nice one Rabbitz

wazkelly
05-04-2019, 08:57 PM
That would have been a great gig to be at.

DrNomis_44
05-04-2019, 10:01 PM
That would have been awesome.

The Angels were one of those classic Aussie Pub Rock bands which included bands like Cold Chisel, Rose Tattoo, and AC/DC to name a few, did you know that The Angels were originally known as The Keystone Angels.

Rabbitz
06-04-2019, 04:03 AM
Yes I did.

Before they were The Keystone Angels they were the Moonshine Jug and String Band. Yes, a jug band complete with washboards and the lot. I wish I'd seen that! In that incarnation they released and EP - if anyone has it I'd like to hear it!

They were also known internationally as Angel City and The Angels from Angel City.

Chris Bailey, the original bass player was also the bass player for Gangajang.

wazkelly
06-04-2019, 01:36 PM
Originally from Adelaide too, same as Cold Chisel

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Rabbitz
06-04-2019, 02:39 PM
It seems the basis for Oz Rock was formed in Adelaide and the Villawood Migrant (now detention) Centre.

:)

dave.king1
06-04-2019, 07:00 PM
Some pretty useful talent came out of Cabramatta Migrant Hostel, Jon English to name one, Not sure about JPY ( mungy to those who knew him in the late 60s early 70s when he was in Elm Tree ).

True story Andy Imlah the co lead singer in Elm Tree was first offered Yesterdays Hero but because the band was picking up again after JPY left he handballed it to the out of work JPY and the rest is history.

Back on topic, I hope the audience sang the "correct" choruses in Face Again :D

Rabbitz
07-04-2019, 06:23 AM
The migrant centre also spawned Easy Beats, Vander & Young, AC/DC (ok they're related but still quite and effort!)

DrNomis_44
07-04-2019, 03:32 PM
I was lucky enough to see Ian Moss live in concert once before I moved to Darwin from Kununurra, he played a gig at the leisure center, was pretty cool, one of the songs he played was Tucker's Daughter.

Rabbitz
07-04-2019, 04:43 PM
Some pretty useful talent came out of Cabramatta Migrant Hostel, Jon English to name one, Not sure about JPY ( mungy to those who knew him in the late 60s early 70s when he was in Elm Tree ).

True story Andy Imlah the co lead singer in Elm Tree was first offered Yesterdays Hero but because the band was picking up again after JPY left he handballed it to the out of work JPY and the rest is history.

Back on topic, I hope the audience sang the "correct" choruses in Face Again :D

Oh and yes the responses were spot on and hearty.

I am not sure the Opera House has seen the likes of the language before...