PDA

View Full Version : Fret Dot Inlay Replacement

Woltz
20-03-2019, 02:06 PM
Just looking at replacing the black fret dots on my TL kit neck with paua/abalone dots. I've measured them as 1/4 inch (6.35mm) and most of the stores in Australia sell dots that are 6mm or 7mm. Has anyone replaced with the 6mm and had any issues with the minor size difference?

Side dots it looks like I'll have to drill out bigger because they seem to be around 1/16 inch (1.5875mm) and the smallest paua I can see is 2mm.

vh2580
20-03-2019, 03:15 PM
I have found 6.35mm MOP before and in other cases usually used the 7mm and just carefully used a 6.5 or 7 mm drill bit in a drill but twisted the chuck by hand. A good supplier is below for lots of different shell.
http://www.mopsupplies.com/shell_dots.html

Hardcoretroubadour
20-03-2019, 05:48 PM
If you are drilling out be very careful not to go too far. Might need a forstner bit as they cut flat.

Brendan
20-03-2019, 08:02 PM
Here's a video we prepared earlier on how to do it. Slight change is using a screw into the hole you drill in the fret dots to get it out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yA4c4rTseY&t=16s

I use the 6mm or 1/4 inch dots. 6.35mm is about quarter inch. I get the dots from mopsupplies above.

FrankenWashie
20-03-2019, 09:32 PM
If you are drilling out be very careful not to go too far. Might need a forstner bit as they cut flat.
Or a Brad point, the tangs on the Brad point will help it cut in and the spike helps keep it centred.

Woltz
21-03-2019, 04:10 AM
Here's a video we prepared earlier on how to do it. Slight change is using a screw into the hole you drill in the fret dots to get it out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yA4c4rTseY&t=16s

I use the 6mm or 1/4 inch dots. 6.35mm is about quarter inch. I get the dots from mopsupplies above.

Thanks Brendan, I'd seen the video but wasn't 100% sure what size dots were used in the video.

What size are the side markers?

Woltz
21-03-2019, 04:11 AM
Or a Brad point, the tangs on the Brad point will help it cut in and the spike helps keep it centred.

Yeh I was thinking brad point might be the go if I needed to enlarge.

Hardcoretroubadour
21-03-2019, 05:34 AM

Sorry, brad point was what I meant. A drill press makes this job much easier and less likely to stuff it up, especially if you are enlarging the holes

Simon Barden
22-03-2019, 01:59 AM
It is very easy not to get the drill centred. I was going the other way and replacing pearl/MOP dot markers on a Korean Fender Tele with black dots! The MOP was stuck in really firmly around the edges and the MOP broke up. Couldn't free the remains with a scalpel, which meant that the Dremel came out. Inevitably I strayed a bit and some of the holes became a bit wonky. I needed to drill the holes out as the replacement dots were wider than the originals but same came out a bit off-centre. Looks OK if you don't look too hard or close. Now just waiting for spring in the UK to start properly so I can re-finish the neck properly.

LADAVE
24-06-2019, 05:46 PM
I'm glad to find this thread as I'm wanting to change the black fret markers on my TL1 maple neck to something more interesting.

I'm comfortable with removing the markers on the fretboard. Woltz asked about the size of the side markers - they seem very small - any tips/ warnings about removing them? Thinking I will use the drill press and probably replace them with something a little bigger.

Thanks

David

WeirdBits
24-06-2019, 06:12 PM
Here’s how I did it (https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=3204&p=62873&viewfull=1#post62873) on a build. The original dots go quite deep so replacing them with something a little larger gives you more leeway in positioning etc.

LADAVE
24-06-2019, 07:52 PM
Hi Scott

Thanks for that. Exactly what I was looking for.

Looking at the post you are a braver man than me - very impressive.

I'm doing the 4 way switch on the TL - that's about as far as Im game to go for my first build.

Regards

David