PDA

View Full Version : Stf-1

gamahucher
21-10-2017, 08:30 AM
Here it is, my first completed build and I have to say, I'm more than happy with the way it turned out though I did make a few mistakes on the way through. I cut a design into the body which was then filled with epoxy resin. Unfortunately, I didn't make the carving deep enough and I had some stain run unto the epoxy but you can still see what I had intended which was the infinity symbol.

I thought I'd bitten off more than I could chew when I realised how much was involved in setting up a Floyd Rose bridge but in the end, although fiddly, it turned out to be surprisingly easy to do. Including the intonation.

I made some changes from the kit on the way through including replacing the plastic pickguard with one I cut from some eucalyptus timber and changed the screws to brass and the knobs etc to cream and in the end I think it looks quite good. Eight coats of of poly went into the final finish and it was sanded to 1200 wet and dry and then micromesh to 8000.

The brass plaque on the top of the neck pocket translates as "In balance is harmony" which is a reference to balancing your life but works quite well with a Floyd Rose bridge which must be in balance between string tension and spring tension to produce harmony.

I completed this as a gift for a friend, hence the name, "Rikenstrat". He hasn't even got it yet so I'm looking forward to seeing his reaction as he has no idea it's coming.

I can't even play the guitar. Might have to learn (and build another one) because this has been a lot of fun.