PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone having security issues with the website?

FrankenWashie
29-01-2019, 03:37 PM
I keep getting bumped out, Safari tells me the website is not secure?
Anyone else having issues?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Simon Barden
29-01-2019, 04:13 PM
Probably a just expired security certificate.

king casey
29-01-2019, 05:34 PM
Not getting the bum's rush, but not to say Google is messing with our minds.

cheers, Mark

dave.king1
29-01-2019, 06:02 PM
Firefox/AVG tells me the site is not secure when on my PC.

My guess that the level of security could be at an outdated level or the certificate is not registered with the AV giants

wazkelly
29-01-2019, 07:47 PM
Not getting the bum's rush, but not to say Google is messing with our minds.

cheers, Mark

Yeah, I am using Chrome and seeing the same thing.

Brendan
29-01-2019, 09:13 PM
I think its just acknowledging that you are entering details into an unencrypted comms chanel - BYOGuitar doesn't use https:// at this stage.

12thharmonic
30-01-2019, 04:45 AM
That tells you it's not SSL certified. SSL certs are costly. Being this site has no e-commerce. The SSL is not crucial.

Sent from my SM-J105Y using Tapatalk

Mr.Drifter
30-01-2019, 02:30 PM
Yeah, it's not a big deal for a forum tbh.
The store has it, and that's where it matters the most

FrankenWashie
30-01-2019, 02:53 PM
Okey Dokey, I just found it weird that it has never popped up before.

adam
01-02-2019, 02:17 PM
Thanks, I'll let Darren know.

Darren
01-02-2019, 09:09 PM
Yeah, it's not a big deal for a forum tbh.
The store has it, and that's where it matters the most

That tells you it's not SSL certified. SSL certs are costly. Being this site has no e-commerce. The SSL is not crucial.

Sent from my SM-J105Y using Tapatalk

I think its just acknowledging that you are entering details into an unencrypted comms chanel - BYOGuitar doesn't use https:// at this stage.

All of the above!

Recent Chrome updates are flagging sites that do not use encryption as "Not Secure", which is kind of correct, but not. Just because a site has SSL does not mean it is secure, just that data that flows between the website and your web browser is encrypted and can't be meaningfully viewed by any third parties (99.9999% of the time). Chances are that you actually want other people to view the data you are sending to this site anyway, so as 12thharmonic said, it's not particularly crucial.

That being said - I'll get us all secure in the coming week.

FrankenWashie
02-02-2019, 02:15 AM
All of the above!

Recent Chrome updates are flagging sites that do not use encryption as "Not Secure", which is kind of correct, but not. Just because a site has SSL does not mean it is secure, just that data that flows between the website and your web browser is encrypted and can't be meaningfully viewed by any third parties (99.9999% of the time). Chances are that you actually want other people to view the data you are sending to this site anyway, so as 12thharmonic said, it's not particularly crucial.

That being said - I'll get us all secure in the coming week.

Sweet! Thank you for that explanation and follow up.

Darren
05-02-2019, 01:44 PM
It should be good now, assuming I didn't miss something!

Let me know if you spot anything.

If you host on IMGUR or similar, try and use secure urls (starting with https) when posting here if that is an option.

Marcel
06-02-2019, 06:55 PM
Just a note, I've been logged in pretty well continuously for the past year (maybe two) which I suppose is one of the joys of running firefox on a Ubuntu system. Login even stayed when my PC box went into sleep mode which has been ultra convenient. However in the past 48hrs I've been logged off twice. I'm hoping this was only because Darren did something like a reboot to the forum server...

Darren
06-02-2019, 06:59 PM
Just a note, I've been logged in pretty well continuously for the past year (maybe two) which I suppose is one of the joys of running firefox on a Ubuntu system. Login even stayed when my PC box went into sleep mode which has been ultra convenient. However in the past 48hrs I've been logged off twice. I'm hoping this was only because Darren did something like a reboot to the forum server...Hi Marcel, thanks for letting us know. it is very possible that things I have been doing over the last 2 days could have caused that. (changes to cookie path)

Sent from my ANE-LX2J using Tapatalk

FrankenWashie
06-02-2019, 07:02 PM
In ave had the same but only just this afternoon

Simon Barden
06-02-2019, 07:09 PM
it is very possible that things i have been doing over the last 2 days could have caused that. (changes to cookie path)

Cookies!!!