PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on scalloped necks (possible kit idea)

kellymaster
22-01-2019, 05:57 AM
i had a idea for a new kit because i have been having trouble finding scalloped guitar necks any thoughts?

TZK321
22-01-2019, 07:10 AM
Would you have the whole neck scalloped or just the upper frets?

kellymaster
23-01-2019, 07:50 AM
the whole neck just like yngwie malmsteen/richie blackmore

FrankenWashie
23-01-2019, 08:14 AM
ONe of my mates in High school did this with an Ibanez RG. He swore it made him play better, I thought it was a cool idea and it felt slightly faster to play. If it's done well and with care it can look hot, but if it's not and there is variance in the depths and shape of the scalloping, I think it can look completely naff.

dave.king1
23-01-2019, 09:02 AM
I've played a Yngwie Strat and found it very difficult to love.

It was at a jam with a few others and there was some very nice custom shop type stuff on the walls form Fender, Gibson & PRS, we all tried the Strat and then went to something else.

A lovely thing to behold but not to hold, some guitars scream play me and others say just try to play me and this was the case with this one it was particularly difficult not to bend chords, maybe 12s or 13s instead of 10s might have helped

To each his own, that's what makes the world interesting

Mr.Drifter
23-01-2019, 12:00 PM
They're pretty cool, but there's a fair bit of a learning curve to them for playing notes and not pushing them sharp, bit like extra jumbo frets.

But, amazing for fast playing and solo work

corsair
23-01-2019, 04:05 PM
Like Dave, I've played a strat modified to a Malmsteen spec and found it hard to cope with; it certainly rewards a very light touch indeed, which makes it no good for the likes of me!
I would like to try a Blackmore sig strat, just to see if there is a difference....

kellymaster
23-01-2019, 07:44 PM
i think that the pit bull guitar shop should sell scalloped guitar necks and the level of scallop

Mr.Drifter
23-01-2019, 08:06 PM
Like Dave, I've played a strat modified to a Malmsteen spec and found it hard to cope with; it certainly rewards a very light touch indeed, which makes it no good for the likes of me!
I would like to try a Blackmore sig strat, just to see if there is a difference....

Realistically we should all have a light touch. Just enough to get the notes to ring out, but, hard to do when you're used to pushing down hard/ have had one guitar that's less than perfect, and you need to push down hard on for some frets

kellymaster
23-01-2019, 08:57 PM
thanks guys for the advice