PDA

View Full Version : Song List Suggestions

Zandit75
06-01-2019, 06:25 PM
Hey all, expanding further on Doc's thread of New Years resolutions, I mentioned that I spent the afternoon working through some songs that I want to add to my repertoire.
Those who have listened to some of my music will know that I do a lot of ballads, and that is what I tend to stray towards too often. Additionally, I tend to play a number of songs that would be classed as B side songs. Not a single that was released by the artist, but one that really spoke to me when I heard it.
Most of the places I perform at require some more up-tempo songs, and so, as mentioned, I endevoured to put together a wish list of well known songs that I really enjoy listening to, but not necessarily ever considered adding to my song list.
I have enough songs up my sleeve already to play for over 2hrs, with a couple of breaks in between, but I need more songs to be able to read the crowd better and perform what they are in the mood for.
To give you a taste, here is the list I came up with this afternoon.

Dancing in the Dark - Bruce Springsteen
Tip Of My Tongue - Diesel
Free Fallin - Tom Petty
Flame Tree - Cold Chisel
Horses - Darryl Braithwaite
April Sun in Cuba - Dragon
To Her Door - Paul Kelly
In The Air Tonight - Phil Collins
Better Be Home Soon - Crowded House
Friends In Low Places - Garth Brooks
The Thunder Rolls - Garth Brooks
My Old Man - Zac Brown Band
When Will I be Loved - Linda Ronstadt
Whiskey Lullaby - Brad Paisley
Drowns The Whiskey - Jason Aldean
Take It Easy - The Eagles
Mummas, Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up To Be Cowboys - Waylon Jennings
In Colour - Jamey Johnson
Crazy Little Thing Called Love - Queen
Green Door - Shakin Stevens

Are there any other suggestions that might be thrown my way?
For those who may not have heard me play before, and are interested enough, please feel free to check out my Facebook video page - https://www.facebook.com/daniel.quaile/videos_by

Any suggestion will be considered!

DarkMark
06-01-2019, 08:34 PM
Under the Milky Way tonight- The Church.
Summer time blues- Eddie Cochran.
Ode to Billie Joe- Bobby Gentry.
Rock this town- Stray Cats.
Desire/One- U2

Some popular toe tappers I could imagine you singing solo.

Brendan
06-01-2019, 08:53 PM
Lego House - Ed Sheeran?

Simon Barden
07-01-2019, 02:02 AM
Errata: Shakey's version of Green Door was a cover of a 1956 US song by Jim Lowe, also covered by Frankie Vaughan in the UK later in 1956 (which is more of a big band jazz version).

http://youtu.be/vle44kNHxDg

Sonic Mountain
07-01-2019, 03:24 AM
Here’s some slightly more obscure tracks that might fit the bill.

Pay no mind- Beck
Where is my mind - Pixies
Take this Bottle - Faith no more
Ruby - Kaiser Chiefs
Headache - Frank Black

king casey
07-01-2019, 03:30 AM
Errata: Shakey's version of Green Door was a cover of a 1956 US song by Jim Lowe, also covered by Frankie Vaughan in the UK later in 1956 (which is more of a big band jazz version).

Yes it sticks in the craw when the tunes are credited to the cover artist.
i.e. Joe Cocker's 'Unchain My Heart'
Jeff Buckley's 'Hallelujah'

cheers, Mark.

Zandit75
07-01-2019, 04:08 AM
Thanks for the start guys, please keep them coming!
Thanks also Simon for pointing that out. Is amazing how many songs are like that.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

corsair
07-01-2019, 04:56 AM
That's a great selection, showing eclecticism and taste; I love it!! I, too, have compiled a list of songs/tunes that speak to me yet have never had the chance to play to an audience, which includes 40s swing, 60s torch ballads and 80s punk, amongst others!

Pet sematary - Ramones
Will you still love me tomorrow? - Rainbows' version
Chattanooga choo choo - Andrews sisters, but heavily leaned on by me!!
Baby come back - Equals
Sylvia - Focus
Different Drum - Stone Poneys
Rosalie - La de dahs
HItchhiker - Bobby and Laurie/Roger Miller
Walk away Renee - Left Bank
Crazy - Willie Nelson
Legend of Xanadu - Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich... (getting the whipcracks was good fun!!)
... and just for lols, the theme from the High Chaparral!

....plus many more! Just stuff I really like and/or find challenging to play... loadsa fun for small boys of all ages!!

Simon Barden
07-01-2019, 04:57 AM
To some extent it doesn't really matter, as most people only know the most popular or recent version, but if you give out the original artist info when you announce the song, you may get some people interested in going back to listen to the original version and expanding their horizons. I knew Shaky's Green Door wasn't an original, but I didn't know who originally did it or what it sounded like until I looked it up just now.

I've just looked up another one The Horses - Daryl Braithwaite, and that was originally a 1989 song by Rickie Lee Jones and written by her and Walter Becker (of Steely Dan fame). But it was obviously the Daryl Braithwaite version that most Australians would know being a no.1 there in 1990.

dave.king1
07-01-2019, 05:05 AM
You could also have a look through Linda Ronstadt's catalogue, songs of all tempos there and many of them well known.

Others worth a look are Harry Chapin, Jim Croce, Jimmy Buffet, JJ Cale and if you are daring Warren Zevon there's a lot of fun to be had there. ( we used to cover Carmelita )

king casey
07-01-2019, 05:27 AM
I knew Shaky's Green Door wasn't an original

I didn't know Green Door was a cover, but as most of Shaky's material is, I guess there should be no surprise.
Anyway in my first hand experience it seems those old RnR numbers still resonate with the general public.
Less slow plodding music-to-slash-your-wrists by the better IMO.

cheers, Mark.

Fretworn
11-01-2019, 05:14 PM
Yes it sticks in the craw when the tunes are credited to the cover artist.
i.e. Joe Cocker's 'Unchain My Heart'
Jeff Buckley's 'Hallelujah'

cheers, Mark.

Well it’s shorter than saying Jeff Buckley’s version of John Cale’s version of Leonard Cohen’s cover version of his own cover version of his own song “Hallelujah”.......

One of the episodes of Malcolm Gladwell’s “Revisionist History” podcast goes into some detail of the creation of this song.

Fretworn
11-01-2019, 05:16 PM
And you should play this song....

http://youtu.be/cjNU4RuKqVE

Fretworn
11-01-2019, 05:21 PM
http://youtu.be/VW8cbh_qoU8
And maybe this one

Sonic Mountain
12-01-2019, 12:26 PM
I mentioned Beck in my earlier post, this is another one. He does a fair bit of surreal country music, just a little left of field.

This entire album is one of my favorites. After going down a bit of a hip hop electronic music rabbit hole with Odelay this is a return to what he started doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy6T_Df8f6g

Andy40
19-01-2019, 02:57 AM
If its not already on the list "Don't Follow" by Alice in Chains.;)

Doesn't sound country from the band or title but the song most surely sounds country.

I reckon you could belt that out in your own style and it would suit you. If you ever do a version, stick it up on youtube so i can hear it. Good luck mate.