PDA

View Full Version : New DIY footswitch for my Peavey Renown amp.

DrNomis_44
28-12-2018, 03:20 PM
Hey Everyone,

I've got a new DIY project to work on over the Christmas holiday period, I'm going to be making a new footswitch for my Peavey Renown guitar amp, cause it's a real pain to switch channels by fiddling with the channel volume controls all the time, I'd rather just stomp on a footswitch.

So, I went to my local Jaycar Electronics store and bought some bits and pieces I would need to build the new footswitch pedal, only one snag so far, the DIN plugs I bought won't fit into the socket on the back panel of the amp, so I may need to pay Jaycar Electronics another visit tomorrow....

Stay tuned for more updates, will also include a write-up of how I go about building the pedal.....

corsair
29-12-2018, 04:52 AM
You know that there is an outfit called pedal parts, eh?? I use them extensively and find them very good indeed....

http://www.pedalpartsaustralia.com

Then, perhaps when you're done with your pedal, you can help me build the one I need for my Behringer!!

DrNomis_44
29-12-2018, 06:59 AM
You know that there is an outfit called pedal parts, eh?? I use them extensively and find them very good indeed....

http://www.pedalpartsaustralia.com

Then, perhaps when you're done with your pedal, you can help me build the one I need for my Behringer!!

Cheers, I didn't even realize that website existed, will have to check them out, no worries, see if you can find a schematic for your Behringer, shouldn't be too hard to work out, what model number is it?

I just bookmarked that webpage, will definitely be ordering some stuff from it soon.

Andy40
29-12-2018, 07:42 AM
pedalpartsaustralia.com are pretty good Doc. They ship pretty quickly na dI;ve been able to get some parts (like voltage Regulators etc) that Jarcar don't stock. Also good selection of good quality knobs:cool:

DrNomis_44
29-12-2018, 07:58 AM
Wow, just found out they stock the same 3PDT footswitches that Jaycar do, what's more, they only charge $3.90 each for them, whereas Jaycar charge around $11.00 or so, guess I'll be buying from Pedal Parts Plus Australia from now on.

http://www.pedalpartsaustralia.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1145

Seeing as I used to own both a Proco Rat and a Proco Turbo Rat distortion pedal when I was younger, I'm going to be ordering a Ratt Deluxe kit soon, since I've been seriously thinking of building one lately.

DrNomis_44
29-12-2018, 08:22 AM
Here's a pic of the footswitch I made for my Fender Super Twin amp, the one I'll be making for the Renown is going to be along the same lines, but I'm going to see if I can incorporate some status leds, a green one, a red one, and a blue one, haven't decided which colours I'm going to use for each function though:

corsair
29-12-2018, 12:01 PM
Yeah; they're a great mob to do business with!! I went a little mad when I first found them and put LEDs in everything I possessed, eh... harmless, if gormless, fun!!

The Behringer switch is attenuated, and I've had absolutely no luck with a diagram or even any damn help from the agents here in Australia!! It's an FS112GMX, mate; if you see one for sale in a 2nd hand shop, get it for me, please!?!?

DrNomis_44
29-12-2018, 12:31 PM
Yeah; they're a great mob to do business with!! I went a little mad when I first found them and put LEDs in everything I possessed, eh... harmless, if gormless, fun!!

The Behringer switch is attenuated, and I've had absolutely no luck with a diagram or even any damn help from the agents here in Australia!! It's an FS112GMX, mate; if you see one for sale in a 2nd hand shop, get it for me, please!?!?

Will do mate, I'll keep my eyes out for one whenever I pop into my local Cashies shop, if I can't find any I'll have a go at making one.

DrNomis_44
30-12-2018, 06:22 AM
Update:

So I've finished getting together all the needed bits and pieces for making the new footswitch for my Peavey Renown amp, I'm going to be doing some studying of the schematics so I can understand how the footswitching works, with these things it is always a good thing to take your time rather than rush it, there's a better likelyhood that it'll work first time.

Here's a list of the bits and pieces I got together for making the new footswitch:

X 1 Diecast Aluminium case.

X 1 Pack of adhesive Rubber Feet.

X 1 Pack of 25 M3 X 10mm screws.

X 1 Pack of 25 M3 nuts.

X 1 Pack of Hookup Wire in assorted colours.

X 3 7-Pin DIN Plugs (two spare ones just in case I make a stuff-up).

X 3 Panel-Mount DIN sockets that accept the DIN Plugs (again two spare ones in case I make a stuff-up).

X 1 Red 3mm Led with chrome bezel.

X 1 Green 3mm Led with chrome bezel.

X 1 Blue 3mm Led with chrome bezel.

X 5m of Grey 9-core round computer cable.

X 1 Pack of black cable glands.

X 1 Roll of 3mm Goot Solder Wick.

X 3 Metal 3PDT Footswitches.

X 1 Pack of 300 1% Metal Film Resistors.

And...I think that pretty much covers it.

DrNomis_44
04-01-2019, 10:49 AM
Update:

Okay, so I decided to do some work on the Peavey Renown amp chassis today, this involves removing the original DIN Footswitch and replacing it with a new one that accepts the metal 8-pin DIN plugs I bought from Jaycar, all I had to do to remove the stock DIN socket from the chassis, was to undo two small mounting bolts and clip two cable ties, and then disconnect a plug from the circuit board, that's actually a good thing since it makes it easier to solder the new DIN socket to the wires going to the plug I removed from the circuit board, I then made a rough drawing of how the wires were soldered to the stock DIN socket, and then I worked out what pins to solder the wires to on the new DIN socket, which turned out to be not that much different to the stock DIN socket, but it did leave me with three spare solder lugs on the new socket which I could use to provide power for the three indicator leds in the Footswich....cool!!!

DrNomis_44
11-01-2019, 05:59 PM
Update:

Managed to get a fair bit work done on building the new footswitch, got all the mounting holes in the diecast Aluminium case drilled, everything seems to fit, drew up a circuit diagram for the new footswitch but ended up making two revisions to it, I think I've pretty much got it all correct, found a downloadable pdf in a Peavey forum today, which saved me a ton of frustration, so it's all ready for wiring up now, will post some pics soon.