PDA

View Full Version : Wiring diagrams

Dan M
10-12-2018, 03:05 PM
Hi there.

This is my first post and I'm jumping straight in with questions about wiring.
I was just so excited when I received my kit that I locked myself away and went for it. It's a Christmas present so I've really got to get it finished sharpish.

Anyway.
Firstly can anyone tell me if there is a difference between the 2 pots I have for volume and tone.
One of them says A500K and the other B500K. Not sure which one to use for which.

Secondly does the 5-way selector switch have a correct orientation as it has 7 terminals of which only the first 5 are used and I don't know which way round to fit it.

Thirdly (and this may seem like a silly question to the experienced masses out there) which humbucker is for the bridge and which for the neck?

Almost lastly with the single coil which is the hot wire and which is the ground? I'm guessing the black is the ground but I want to be sure.

Finally, I have an output jack for stereo but I'm wiring for mono so which terminal don't I use?

Sorry to hit you with so many questions in one hit.
I look forward to and welcome your advice.
Cheers, Dan.

Sonic Mountain
10-12-2018, 03:12 PM
Whoa... all good better to ask than stuff up :)

What kit is this?

** My responses, I'm sure I will be corrected about anything I get wrong.

Anyway.
Firstly can anyone tell me if there is a difference between the 2 pots I have for volume and tone.
One of them says A500K and the other B500K. Not sure which one to use for which.

** A for volume B for tone generally speaking. The A is a linear taper, the B a logarithmic, you can use either for either with different results, but A Volume B tone is the normal way to do things.

Secondly does the 5-way selector switch have a correct orientation as it has 7 terminals of which only the first 5 are used and I don't know which way round to fit it.

** Umm.. I think it's circuit board in.. but I don't actually think it matters, does it fit better one way or the other in the cavity?

Thirdly (and this may seem like a silly question to the experienced masses out there) which humbucker is for the bridge and which for the neck?

** yellow wire is neck and red wire is bridge in the Pit Bull kits

Almost lastly with the single coil which is the hot wire and which is the ground? I'm guessing the black is the ground but I want to be sure.

** I think that's probably correct, but will wait for someone to confirm.

Finally, I have an output jack for stereo but I'm wiring for mono so which terminal don't I use?

** can we see a pic? I did this in one of my guitars, but the jack might be different

Dan M
10-12-2018, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the quick reply.

It is a Pitbull kit. IB1

Here is the jack.29361

The second humbucker has a black cable but with the first being red I"ll fit that by the bridge.
Cheers.

Dedman
10-12-2018, 07:14 PM
usually the neck humbuckers wires are longer too

Sonic Mountain
11-12-2018, 05:15 AM
Hmm, the jack is a bit of a tricky one. The large outer tang should be the earth. You may have to do some testing with it plugged into an amp to determine which of the inner ones is correct.

Paging Weirdbits.... Dr Weirdbits to the ER

WeirdBits
11-12-2018, 10:43 AM
'A' pots are log/audio taper, 'B' are linear. 'A' are best for volume and either 'A' or 'B' for tone.

In the PBG IB-1 wiring diagram (https://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/pdf/IB-1.pdf) it uses an 8 lug switch with the centre two 'common' lugs linked with a wire loop. Your switch is a 7 lug version with only a single common, so you don't need the wire loop and just have to connect that single centre lug to the volume pot.

The stereo barrel jack that come with the kits can be tricky to wire as they can vary from time to time, and don't necessarily match the Switchcraft style lug layout. A multimeter is the best way to test which lugs are hot and ground (+/-), or just trial and error when you connect it. Usually these lugs are the ones to use (but it can vary between batches):

Regarding the humbuckers, if you have a multimeter the higher resistance pickup is usually the bridge pup. Otherwise, as already stated, the neck pickup usually has the longer wire. Again, things vary between batches, so wire colours aren't always the same be specific pickup positions.

Sonic Mountain
11-12-2018, 10:56 AM
^ Take this mans advice above all others for this particular aspect of your build :)

Dan M
11-12-2018, 04:05 PM
Thanks guys.
I really appreciate the advice.