PDA

View Full Version : Glue marks appearing when dingotone stain is applied

icarus7681
13-11-2018, 11:38 AM
Ok,
no doubt this is a common problem. When sanding, no glue on ES-1G was visible. Now I have marks I assume is glue. Is there a way to remove them. More sanding maybe ?29029

Bakersdozen
13-11-2018, 04:22 PM
Be careful with sanding that veneer too much given how thin it is. Most common solution, if it is glue that has seeped thru a thinner part of the veneer, is to use a product called goof off with either a small steel brush or firm toothbrush. You can get it from Bunnings and with care and caution you can remove the glue or most of it. I did find that you have to be super careful not to go thru the veneer or make it too smooth. You can then re-stain that area to gradually get it back to blending in. The goof off will dissolve some of the stain already applied. Good luck!

icarus7681
13-11-2018, 04:46 PM
Thanks for that. that's a bit of a problem for me as Bunnings is a long way from Hedland. I could probably get it shipped here , but not keen on waiting. The other thing I was thinking of was covering the marks with some sort of motif or custom feature. How thin is the veneer actually? This kit had some nasty scratches that needed some serious sanding. I hope I haven't burnt through it already. The flame is a bit faint in spots.

20 mins later.... I just ordered some on ebay. Patience... patience....

Bakersdozen
13-11-2018, 04:54 PM
It's less than 1mm thick. Mine has the same issues and I had to be careful to not take the scratches down too much. It's all a gamble being so thin. The Dingotone has helped to level a lot of those imperfections out. But I have areas on mine where I think I went a little to hard or smoothed it out too much. All in all it all seems to be blending okay though once all coats are on. Main ingredient in Goof Off is acetone, but I wouldn't use it un-diluted. May be more accessible in your neck of the woods.

icarus7681
13-11-2018, 06:18 PM
Oh that thin... that may be a problem. I will check it out. This one may get painted after all. I wanted the flame maple...bugger.Thanks for your help mate. This ES will be my 4th build. Heres the other 3.twin was my first.. bad choice for a learner, but much was learnt...hahaha29032 29033 29034

Adam Barnes
13-11-2018, 06:47 PM
Ihey icarus if you cant get hold of goo off try going over it with metholated spirits to raise the grain then very light rub with 400 grit and some turps, thats gotten rid of most of my glue spots.good luck

icarus7681
13-11-2018, 09:26 PM
Hey Adam... awesome... I have all of that right here... thanks... Bakersdozen was talking acetone... metho is similar and turps to clean up and balance the oil based thing... excellent.. Cheers mate