PDA

View Full Version : Olivia!

MusicStudent1
08-11-2018, 04:27 PM

Ok, she's not a guitarist. However, I saw her in concert last year and she is a pro performer and an inspiration! Olivia was nice enough to take photos with us fans after her concert. She is too cool....I don't remember if she's a Brit who lives in Austrailia or an Aussie who lived in the U.K. but whatever...if she needs anything...a kidney transplant, for example, I'll donate mine.

Her bass player and guitarist must both have nerves of steel because they were sharing the stage with an angel and neither missed a note. No one did! Olivia was even doubling the guitar solo with her voice which I had never heard before.

I am proud to say that Olivia is my music inspiration!....

Simon Barden
10-11-2018, 01:49 AM
ONJ is definitely an Aussie, but has worked a lot in both the UK and the US.

cork sniffer
10-11-2018, 04:20 AM
She's English. Moved to Australia when she was 5 tears old.
Born: 26 September 1948 (age 70 years), Cambridge, United Kingdom

dave.king1
10-11-2018, 06:12 AM
Back in around 1980 I have a young Chinese guy working for me who absolutely idolised ONJ, even had a room in his house dedicated to her. ( not sure how his wife felt about that )

It was priceless hearing him singing Orivia songs in his heavily accented chinglish :D

cork sniffer
10-11-2018, 10:13 AM
I think I'd pay more to hear that than the real thing. Not disrespecting the real thing but your Chinglish singer sounds like he'd be fun.

Simon Barden
11-11-2018, 06:13 AM
She's English. Moved to Australia when she was 5 tears old.
Born: 26 September 1948 (age 70 years), Cambridge, United Kingdom

Pretty much makes AC/DC a UK band then!

cork sniffer
11-11-2018, 10:06 AM
Yep.
Further to that my wife came to Australia as a baby in arms in 1955 from The Isle of Man, that makes her Manx and our kids half-casts. I love my Manx wife and half-cast kids ;) LOL

wazkelly
11-11-2018, 10:10 AM
There are many 'Aussie' performers not born in in this country......

John Peter Farnham was born in Dagenham, England, on 1 July 1949

James Swan (as Jimmy Barnes was known for the earliest years of his life) was born in Glasgow, Scotland, 28 April 1956

Colin James Hay, lead singer with Men At Work (born 29 June 1953) Hay was born in Saltcoats, North Ayrshire, Scotland

Russell Ira Crowe (born 7 April 1964) in the Wellington suburb of Strathmore Park, New Zealand - better known for his acting (thankfully) as his music is not so good

Only truly Aussie home grown international act was INXS

dave.king1
11-11-2018, 11:38 AM
How about Air Supply & Little River Band Waz

cork sniffer
11-11-2018, 11:44 AM
Rolf Harris, true blue Australian ... haaa haaa

dave.king1
11-11-2018, 12:06 PM
Didn't Rolf get disowned for some reason

cork sniffer
11-11-2018, 12:21 PM
Actually, the English like him sooo much won't let him leave the place ;)

king casey
11-11-2018, 12:39 PM
Didn't Rolf get disowned for some reason

Methinks the good folk of Bassendean won't be too keen on getting him back either.

cheers, Mark.

FrankenWashie
11-11-2018, 02:00 PM

James Swan (as Jimmy Barnes was known for the earliest years of his life) was born in Glasgow, Scotland, 28 April 1956

Colin James Hay, lead singer with Men At Work (born 29 June 1953) Hay was born in Saltcoats, North Ayrshire, Scotland

Russell Ira Crowe (born 7 April 1964) in the Wellington suburb of Strathmore Park, New Zealand - better known for his acting (thankfully) as his music is not so good

Only truly Aussie home grown international act was INXS

You can keep Rusty. Not sure NZ wants him.

wazkelly
11-11-2018, 04:17 PM
How about Air Supply & Little River Band WazYeah, forgot to mention them as was unsure about where Glen Shorrock originated. Also don't know much about Airsupply as i wasn't a fan.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

dave.king1
11-11-2018, 04:55 PM
Could throw in Human Nature ( Bankstown boys ) and Savage Garden.

Not saying I'm a fan but they both made it pretty big on the large stage

MusicStudent1
17-11-2018, 09:51 AM
I haven’t been to a lot of concerts in my life but it just so happens I took a girl to an Air Supply concert in 1983. Wow...not really my music. At one point in the concert, the audience locked arms and swayed back and forth to whatever song they were doing, ha ha! It was as weird as it gets but the girl liked it, ha ha!

Oh yeah, I just saw The Little River Band with my wife. Not my music, either but that main singer guy was a good musician, I have to give him credit for being able to write the songs and sing and play guitar at the same time in front of 100s of people.

I am amazed that the musicians do not appear nervous. They also hit every note and didn’t make any mistakes....I can’t make that claim as I’m plagued with stage fright.

king casey
17-11-2018, 10:09 AM
I took a girl to an Air Supply concert in 1983. Wow...not really my music.

Can't say I'm a fan either but anything that occurred during my imprint years is hard to forget.
Like some inane lyrics...'Love and other bruises...makes us all good losers'. huh?

Also, your first public performance you will be a bag o nerves. After you've done it a few times you'll get used to it.

cheers, Mark.

wazkelly
17-11-2018, 10:30 AM
Many years ago I went to LRB concert in Brisbane just after John Farnham replaced Glen Shorrock and also with American bass player that has since hijacked the band.
Awesome performance and halfway through gig the venue lost power. Didn't stop Farnsie as he and the drummer kept going and he was nearly as loud without pa working!

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

MusicStudent1
17-11-2018, 09:55 PM
Also, your first public performance you will be a bag o nerves. After you've done it a few times you'll get used to it.

cheers, Mark.

There’s one problem...I’ve had a lot of public performances over the years. I always just power through the horror. The absolute scariest was 18 years ago at a national conference at work. We employees put a band together and performed top 40 cover songs for supervisors, upper level management, coworkers, everybody at the end of conference party. And it was filmed. At one point I played EVH’s “Eruption” before “You Really Got Me”....played it a 1000 times as a kid but still had zero confidence. I pulled it off but was a miracle.

That’s why it’s such a blast to see Olivia, Cheap Trick, Lou Gramm, etc. perform. Those are true professionals. No fear whatsoever. They’re all way past their prime popularity-wise, and sound better than ever. Real respect for Olivia for performing while having stage 4 cancer! I am the biggest chicken in the world compared to that!

DrNomis_44
19-11-2018, 02:11 AM

Ok, she's not a guitarist. However, I saw her in concert last year and she is a pro performer and an inspiration! Olivia was nice enough to take photos with us fans after her concert. She is too cool....I don't remember if she's a Brit who lives in Austrailia or an Aussie who lived in the U.K. but whatever...if she needs anything...a kidney transplant, for example, I'll donate mine.

Her bass player and guitarist must both have nerves of steel because they were sharing the stage with an angel and neither missed a note. No one did! Olivia was even doubling the guitar solo with her voice which I had never heard before.

I am proud to say that Olivia is my music inspiration!....

She's pretty good looking for her age.

fender3x
01-12-2018, 09:07 PM
Pretty much makes AC/DC a UK band then!And US. They have something for us all ;-)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

fender3x
01-12-2018, 09:12 PM

Only truly Aussie home grown international act was INXSI think if they learned their chops in your country you get to claim them.

king casey
02-12-2018, 02:36 AM
Funny how so much brevity is given to a nonsensical geographic mindset.
I remember a John Peel monologue after the success of A-HA.
Music execs were scouring Scandinavian fishing villages searching for another one.

cheers, Mark.

fender3x
02-12-2018, 05:34 AM
Funny how so much brevity is given to a nonsensical geographic mindset.

I totally agree with this. Hope it's understood that my comment above was intended as toung-in-cheek. If a geographical mindset were not nonsense how could anyone explain Albert Lee?

dave.king1
02-12-2018, 08:35 AM
I totally agree with this. Hope it's understood that my comment above was intended as toung-in-cheek. If a geographical mindset were not nonsense how could anyone explain Albert Lee?

Indeed, you could also include Jerry Donahue a Pom with his wonderful pedal steel bends on the Tele and John Jorgensen who started out as a Disneyland street minstrel playing a multitude of instruments, made his name with the Desert Rose Band playing West Coast Country rock and now playing gypsy jazz al la Django

Music knows no boundaries and even the geographic style roots are disappearing as live venues become fewer and everyone has access to the likes of YouTube

cork sniffer
02-12-2018, 09:13 AM
I think if they learned their chops in your country you get to claim them.

Just to clear things up ... I disagree.
Not an issue worth a fight about but we are entitled to our personal opinions and I think the country of birth stays (or should) stay with you for life.
I'm happy for somebody to say "I'm Australian, of English (or whatever) extraction". That means to me you are English but happy to embrace Australian ways and life style.

king casey
02-12-2018, 09:47 AM
John Jorgensen who started out as a Disneyland street minstrel

Now I'd like to have that on my resume. 'place of birth'....'Disneyland'.

cheers, Mark.

fender3x
03-12-2018, 02:08 AM
Just to clear things up ... I disagree.
Not an issue worth a fight about but we are entitled to our personal opinions and I think the country of birth stays (or should) stay with you for life.
I'm happy for somebody to say "I'm Australian, of English (or whatever) extraction". That means to me you are English but happy to embrace Australian ways and life style.I have 4 children all of whom have dual citizenship. I see them as 100% one nationality, and 100% the other. (The law sees them that way too, BTW) I was not trying to split the hair. I was trying, lightly I hope, to suggest that a hair can be more than one thing.

My wife is right. I am not nearly as funny as I think I am.

cork sniffer
03-12-2018, 03:02 AM
I am not nearly as funny as I think I am.

And neither am I.

cleanheadsteve
29-12-2018, 10:24 AM
olivias guitarist and bandleader is Andy Timmons. an awesome guitarist from the dallas, texas area. he also can sing just like john travolta on her duet songs

Sent from my Coolpad 3632A using Tapatalk