PDA

View Full Version : Dingotone Butterscotch; Ratio/ Applying to body/neck/...fretboard...?

JamesB606
22-10-2018, 02:47 PM
Just got back to the guitar after waiting a few days from applying the first coat of butterscotch

Its looking a little more yellow than I had hoped, I pretty much did a 50/50 mix of the stain and white mix.
I'm not sure where to go next, really wishing I had kept some scrap from cutting the head to work on! Hindsight 20/20 haha.

I also did what I think may be a NO-NO in guitar building.

After reading DingoBass and a few other posts saying we can use the stain coat on the neck as well I decided why not give it a try and used some of the mixed Butterscotch liquid on the neck...and fretboard. I started with the neck but did the fretboard as well because I think it looked strange being so pale on the board and so yellow on the neck. I'm wishing I had purchased a neck finish bottle as well! Captain Hindsight once again.

Anyway, if there's anyone who's got a good formula for the butterscotch finish out there please let me know your thoughts.
And please help me try and fix my mistake on the the neck/finger board!

If anyone is interested or some context is helpful here is a link to the build diary
http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=8982

JamesB606
22-10-2018, 02:50 PM
Here's some pics with the hardware. I'm trying to envision what would look good on the finished piece.
I'm thinking a lighter stain on the fretboard and a heavier stain on the body, maybe a little darker?

Old Tooth Hopkins
23-10-2018, 04:06 AM
I did buy a neck stain and thought it went a lot more yellow, but as it cures it darked a bit. So wait a few days.

I quite like the butterscotch on the Tele!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fretworn
25-10-2018, 06:36 PM
The stain is likely to darken a bit over the next couple of weeks. Not a lot but it will become a bit deeper. How many coats have you done on the body?

JamesB606
27-10-2018, 08:12 PM
The stain is likely to darken a bit over the next couple of weeks. Not a lot but it will become a bit deeper. How many coats have you done on the body?

so far just two

the first was 50/50, the second was closer to 70% stain and 30% white mix

Fretworn
28-10-2018, 04:38 PM
Basswood has smaller pores and can absorb less stain than, say, ash. For the next coat you could try going mostly stain with only a touch of white as the white from the earlier coats may add the needed opaque-ness to achieve the butterscotch finish. But I am just guessing here. One thing you learn quickly is sometimes the guitar has different ideas about what its finish is going to end up like than you do. Sometimes you just have to run with whatever ends up working.

JamesB606
11-11-2018, 03:06 PM
been a bit dull around here, just finalising the colour before i commence drilling, pics soon!

Andy40
14-11-2018, 01:50 PM
Hey James,
Sorry just saw this post. I did a butterscotch tele with dingotone. I thought it turned out okay. I did a number of coats to deepen the colour probably about 50/50 butterscotch /whitewash.
I would sand that stain off the fretboard and keep it clean, but its personal preference. I prefer to truoil the necks instead.
Good luck mate