PDA

View Full Version : Custom Strat Modification

captainleeward
22-10-2018, 04:37 AM
Custom Strat Modification.
So here is my answer to the string height adjusting grub screws hitting my palm while playing,
I made this bridge cover. It is made from solid aluminum cut on my Milling machine,
under neath it is a piece of brown rubber 1/4 inch thick screwed to the face of the body.

In a few weeks I will be starting the Pitbull guitar I bought so stay tuned......Cap.

Thanks for looking....

Simon Barden
22-10-2018, 05:51 AM
Probably why Strats originally came with those half-ashtray bridges!

Something that I've just been made aware of that solves the problem (though at a price) are Tone Up stainless steel saddles from Sever Industries in Slovakia. http://www.sever.si/sever-innovations/guitar-and-bass-guitar-hardware/bass-bridges-guitar-saddles/sever-vintage-ergonomic-st-steel-saddles-6-10-8mm
They come in three different string spacings; 10.4mm, 10.8mm and 11.2mm, so you should get a set that will be drop-in replacements whatever the country of origin of your Strat or Tele etc. The grub screws don't protrude above the tops of the saddles as they only screw into the folded over metal at the bottom edge of the saddle.

They also have springs with elliptical ends, which seems to be an answer to a problem that didn't really exist, but probably better than the one large, one small end of standard springs.

I don't know how widely distributed round the globe they are at the moment, but you can now get them in the UK for £45 + postage.

captainleeward
22-10-2018, 09:36 AM
Well thank you Simon, thats very interesting... I'll make a note of them. Cap.

Mr.Drifter
24-10-2018, 11:28 AM
I made sure to get modern saddles when I replaced my bridge for that very reason haha. That is a good idea though. Taking a more modern approach to a vintage part/style

captainleeward
26-10-2018, 12:49 PM
To me those strat saddles always seem unfinished, so the bridge cover I like it.... thanks for your input Mr. Drifter...Cap.