PDA

View Full Version : Review of Allparts USA Quick Release 5 String Bass Bridge - Black

wazkelly
21-10-2018, 06:56 PM
Fitted one of these to my EX5 a while ago and just got around to adjusting action and intonation a couple of nights ago.

Original EX5 kit bridge is similar to traditional P bass design however the saddle barrels seemed to be a larger diameter which produced an action higher than what I am used to. The problem was that even with height adjustment at it's lowest point, action was still too high.

Looked online for a replacement however Black hardware narrowed the options and ended up choosing this one. Bargain at $54 plus postage compared to a Schaller one for $215!

Modern style quick release 5-string bass bridge. Modern locking saddle design.
66mm centre to centre overall string spacing. (16.5mm individual)
Black finish. Includes screws.

https://www.realparts.com.au/bridges-tailpieces/bass/quick-release-5-string-bass-bridge-black.html

wazkelly
21-10-2018, 07:03 PM
This fiver has a huge amount of tension on the neck and even with truss rod fully wound up tight there is still a very slight forward bow up near the nut end. Main reason for swapping bridges was to achieve a lower action however this thing was buzzing all over the place on most strings and ended up with an action that is still a bit on the high side, maybe not quite as high as before, possibly 1 mm lower??? Not sure but this bridge is a better design with how strings are loaded and if you like to palm mute, as the old guitarist in me does, this bridge is much better for that too.

Took a bit longer than usual with intonation as first I had to get height to stop fret buzzing, then adjust length to obtain correct pitch, then tighten the allen key grub screws to hold everything in place. Not so easy when strings are also in the way of where you need to turn an allen key wrench.

Overall I am impressed with this better designed bridge and would recommend to anyone considering an upgrade..

Just need to beware of buying similar look-a-likes from Chinese eBay stores as the 4 string chrome one I bought was not as well built or finished and only went that way as Real Parts were out of stock. A quick check of their site shows availability 'out of stock' but reckon it would be better to wait rather than opt for something not as well made.

Cheers, Waz

TOPSCRATCH
06-09-2022, 12:28 AM
How are you liking the Bridge? Funny thing; I have the same bridge on a Douglas (Rhondo Music) Fretless I bought years ago. I've always wrestled with the action being high and intonation. I came upon your post researching bridges. I also have an EXP5 build. Perhaps I'll try this bridge on that one. The gold color will clash. I don't see this bridges in Gold. Maybe I'll just sell it?