PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for ST-1 upgrades

Walrus
19-10-2018, 06:04 PM
I built an ST-1 a couple of years ago. I want to upgrade it so that it can be used by my son who is learning guitar.

I'm looking for ideas for upgrades to take it up a level.

Here are my ideas:
- loaded pickguard to improve pickups. There's the Pitbull options for about $35, but will any others fit? Or is it better to buy some new pickups and rewire?
- new tuning pegs to help it to stay in tune (it's not bad actually).

Optional
- new bridge. Or might just block the stock bridge to stabilise tuning.
- new nut

Any thoughts or tips?

Walrus
19-10-2018, 06:05 PM
This is the original build thread.

http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=1890

Dedman
19-10-2018, 07:56 PM
My formulae would be
Either leave the stock pick ups for now, or go to Tone Riders. Great value for money.
Tuners, leave them for now or go Mini grovers
Bridge the Wilkinson ones are good value and have a steel block with is a big improvement.
Bone nut.

Of course it all depends on your budget, but that's just my suggestion. My black strat is pretty much what I listed there and its a great guitar.

Brendan
19-10-2018, 10:06 PM
Quick and simple upgrade is new pots and caps - little change can make a big difference in sound. I like the Toneriders I have in my P Bass and Entwhistles in my J - both are a good an relatively inexpensive upgrade - depends on what sort of sound you're going for...

dave.king1
20-10-2018, 05:23 AM
The only change I have made to mine is replacing the pups with Tonerider Vintage Classics

Andyxlh
20-10-2018, 05:39 AM
I'd agree with this, in order for me...
Bone nut
Roller string trees (both available on eBay cheaply)
Pickups tonerider for sure, there's different types for different styles of music. Great value from Pitbull. If he is a hard rock nut you could buy a loaded pickguard cheap from China with 2 humbuckers in it, eBay. The cheap humbuckers are pretty good imho, much better than the cheap single coils
Machine heads, Grover from Pitbull. Amazing value, I'll be replacing all of mine with these eventually. This might be number one depending on the quality of the stock ones, I have had great stock sets and ones that slip and have rough gears.
Bridge, wilkinson
Pots and caps... cts and orange drop cap from Pitbull

Fretworn
20-10-2018, 05:47 AM
For me upgrading the tuning machines is a given. It’s better for a learner to have a guitar that is easy to tune and stays in tune. I’ve used Wilkinsons mostly and have had no issues. Also for a learner using an ST, I’d suggest taking Rob Chapman’s advice and block the whammy bridge. This will make it a pseudo hard tail, but whammys are a distraction to beginners anyway. It will also help him develop better finger strength, better technique etc. When his skills improve you can look at upgrading the pickups and electronics to make it sound better.

Andyxlh
20-10-2018, 07:30 AM
For me upgrading the tuning machines is a given. It’s better for a learner to have a guitar that is easy to tune and stays in tune. I’ve used Wilkinsons mostly and have had no issues. Also for a learner using an ST, I’d suggest taking Rob Chapman’s advice and block the whammy bridge. This will make it a pseudo hard tail, but whammys are a distraction to beginners anyway. It will also help him develop better finger strength, better technique etc. When his skills improve you can look at upgrading the pickups and electronics to make it sound better.
Excellent answer

Walrus
23-10-2018, 05:05 PM
Thanks @Dedman. I hadn't planned on spending that much money - so I need to think that through. Maybe if I started with the small upgrades first?

Walrus
23-10-2018, 05:06 PM
Quick and simple upgrade is new pots and caps - little change can make a big difference in sound.
As someone new to soldering, is that a difficult job?

Walrus
23-10-2018, 05:08 PM
That seems really sensible, thanks for the tips. Tuners is definitely easy....and I've removed the whammy anyway - it's just a bad idea unless the bridge is quality.

Walrus
23-10-2018, 05:10 PM
depending on the quality of the stock ones
The stock ones on this guitar are actually ok - but there is enough movement in a couple of them to warrant replacing.