PDA

View Full Version : Hard Cases

wazkelly
11-10-2018, 09:05 PM
When taking photos to load a post about Bass Gig Bags I was dragging some Basses out of their hard cases and when I realised my J Bass was too fat around the bum to fit into a particular gig bag it made me wonder if it fitted into the other hard case which the MMB4 lives in?

The answer was definitely not, but only 5 mm to 10 mm too much too big in a few places including overall length.

This got me thinking as when looking for a hard case online there are so many to choose from and lots of the sellers imply that theirs will fit 'All F types' or something similar. I can safely say that a J Bass will not fit into an Artist Bass Hard Case. Their website product description states 'Will suit Fender P-bass (or equivalent) ,Fender Jazz Bass, Fender Bass VI, and any shape equivalent. It will also fit a Rickenbacker 4003 / 4003S Bass guitar. It has a accessories compartment inside the case.' If I struggle getting a J Bass to fit inside there is no chance for any Riccy shape.

If a Bass hard case is on your wish list I would suggest checking all relevant measurements before ordering one sight unseen. Maybe when doing initial mock build that could be a good time to write down those measurements to assist with researching which case has the best fit.

6 string electric guitar cases do not seem to be as tight fitting as the bodies are generally smaller than a Bass, with exceptions for odd shapes such as V's, Explorers, Firebird, and some of those angry pointy BC Rich looking ones where a more open large rectangular box seems to be the more common way of housing them. I paid $149 for a genuine Epiphone Explorer Hard Case where they are now currently retailing from $199 discounted down to $159 and there is that much spare space for it to flop around inside, the PIT BULL GUITARS DELUXE GUITAR CASE (FOR FV AND EX STYLE GUITARS) at $109.95 is a better buy. The rest of the PBG hard case stock looks the goods too and worth checking them out.

Cheers, Waz

Andyxlh
12-10-2018, 05:18 AM
I have bought 2 of the Pitbull guitar cases for Telecasters and they are outstanding quality and value, I'll be buying a bass one soon. Highly recommend them if they fit your instruments.

Dedman
12-10-2018, 05:46 AM
I have 2 pitbull cases arriving today. I can say that the Bass 6 fits in a Pitbull Bass case, I also had the Graveyard in it and for some reason my Jazzmaster didn't fit any other cases so it lived in it for a while. I now have tweed cases for all my Fenders and black pitbull cases for the rest.
I do wish Pitbull could get some different coverings from time to time. GFS do some cool cases but the freight makes them out of the question.

Marcel
12-10-2018, 10:47 AM
Not all Strats and Tele's are created equal.

I found a deal and got a couple of real dinky-die Fender original hard cases. One for my Fender Deluxe and a second one just because. The Deluxe fits perfectly, nice and snug and nil flopping about.

But as for the other Fender style guitars that should fit it's surprising on which ones don't. My partscaster Denim and Pearl Tele fits nice, as does my '70's era Ason plywood Strat and that's about it. I have 3 other Strat builds and two Tele builds that cannot be shoehorned into those Fender cases. I can excuse the TLA-12 build due the larger headstock to accommodate for 12 strings but the rest it seems only approximate what they try to be with more headstock or a thicker or longer body girth. Maybe I didn't sand them enough when I built them although 10mm to 20mm is a lot of sanding. Yes all the builds are in some inconvenient way bigger.

One that does have me baffled is though for two partscasters I got the parts (neck and body) through the same suppliers being for the Denim Tele and one of the Strats, the Tele fits yet the Strat doesn't. I'm confused and at a loss, and what makes it worse is the pickups in that particular Strat are worth more than any other individual build has cost me. Sad to say and despite its tone that Strat with its fatter more bulbous Alder body is now a stay at home guitar.

Haven't tried a PBG case. Might be more wriggle room in one of those, not like a Fender original case...

wazkelly
12-10-2018, 10:54 AM
Yeah Marcel, that may be just a bit too much sanding to make things fit.
I bought a couple of ABS moulded ones for my 2 Tele's and the Yammy Pacifica fitted which is practically a Strat shape. Might check tonight if the Artist Grungemaster fits as it is an offset shape similar to PBG JMA.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

DarkMark
12-10-2018, 11:42 AM
Given the can do nature of the community I’m surprised I haven’t seen anyone building their own cases. I expect it wouldn’t be a money saving exercise but I might give it go in the future.

Dedman
12-10-2018, 12:23 PM
I did think of it Mark but there is just no way you can make them for any where near what you can buy one for.

wazkelly
12-10-2018, 12:46 PM
Not to mention how heavy it may end up.

corsair
12-10-2018, 04:40 PM
I've built 2 cases for weirdly shaped guitars and can attest to both the cost factor, and the weight of a ply/pine case. I used 3 ply for the top and bottom, with 2x1" and 2 x 1/2" for the sides and other framing. A bit of acoustic foam and sheet foam for the padding/shaped internals and some sort of faux-velvet completed the construction. I acquired the case hardware from Cliff Electronics out of Brisbane - highly recommended, by the way! - and covered with some vinyl bought cheaply off eBay...

Monstrously heavy, even without a guitar onboard, but immensely strong; I'd need roadies if I was to use the guitar on tour, eh!!

wazkelly
12-10-2018, 06:27 PM
As mentioned earlier today I have a couple of Tele hard cases and wondered if my offset shaped guitar would fit?

The Grungemaster just fits around body section however due to offset shape it is too long with headstock protruding inner foam by 12 mm - 13 mm, therefore you would need at least 20 mm more space in overall length.

wazkelly
12-10-2018, 06:32 PM
The Bass Cases mentioned are shown below....
MMB4 in an Artist Bass Case

J Bass in a 'Stagg' branded case

Close up of both Bass bodies in the Artist case..... J Bass is around 25 mm too wide whilst MMB4 is snug with a small amount of space to move around in.

J Bass is also too long for the Artist case.

wazkelly
12-10-2018, 06:35 PM
Genuine Epiphone Explorer Guitar case was posted under my EX5 build diary with shots copied below highlighting how close an EX5 comes to fitting inside the guitar case, and also how much spare room there is once you insert the correct guitar.....

wazkelly
13-10-2018, 07:08 PM
Just remembered my youngest Son has some of his guitars stored with us whilst he is travelling overseas so I wondered if they would fit?
Yeah, Strat shape fits the ABS moulded Telecaster case.....just no good for anything offset

His Blue P Bass copy also fits into the Artist Bass Case as does my Black Fretless conversion P Bass copy

From all of this it would appear you may need a bigger case for any offset F style shaped guitars and basses.

DrNomis_44
17-10-2018, 10:49 AM
I was pretty lucky when I bought a second-hand Fender Squire Telecaster from my local Cashies store a couple of fortnights ago, I mostly bought it for parts for my custom Telecaster build cause the build-quality of the Fender Squire Telecaster left a lot to be desired, anyway, as luck would have it, the Squire Telecaster came with a pretty decent looking hard case.

Some pics:

wazkelly
17-10-2018, 08:15 PM
How to make a Hard Case YouTube Video

http://youtu.be/b0_kn3ds-J4

gordo350
19-10-2018, 04:28 AM
How NOT to make a case! How many mistakes did that guy make.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

wazkelly
19-10-2018, 04:36 AM
When you can one ready made for around $100, why bother.
Only posted for those folks who may have been contemplating doing something similar.

DarkMark
21-10-2018, 10:04 PM
Strikes me as being a left handed case. What was he thinking?

DrNomis_44
12-03-2019, 10:50 AM
That reminds me, I need to buy a new case for my BC Rich Warlock guitar.

corsair
13-03-2019, 04:38 AM
When you can one ready made for around $100, why bother.

Because sometimes standard cases just don't do it; I have 4 oddly shaped guitars that standard cases wouldn't touch, and, being old, OEM cases were out of the question and the Gator cases with the movable internal blocks were prohibitively expensive so I built my own custom cases.
Which certainly protect the instrument but, my goodness, the bastard things are HEAVY!! :-D

Dougr
13-03-2019, 11:07 AM
I built a hard case for my GR1 SF just to protect it. See my build diary for pictures.