PDA

View Full Version : Review of Fret Board Sticker Kits

wazkelly
30-09-2018, 02:02 PM
When completing my J Bass the kit comes with a P Bass style neck which meant dot fret markers.

Now I know fret markers make absolutely no difference as to how a guitar plays and this was my one indulgence to go for looks over function. And besides, I reckon a Jazzy looks much better with block fret markers, particularly on a Maple fret board.

Here is a link to the eBay seller..... https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Blocks-BLACK-Fret-Markers-block-Vinyl-Inlay-Stickers-Decal-for-Jazz-or-ANY-BASS/151897358847?epid=676325803&hash=item235dc9c1ff:g:GXUAAOSwxN5WWKsd

To prevent the vinyl stickers showing signs of wear from normal playing I chose to add more layers of Tru Oil to protect them and keep them in place. Not sure how long they would stay on for if playing in hot and sweaty conditions hence why I would recommend sealing them down.

On my Swampy Tele as the maple neck & fret board were stained same as the body I felt it needed something different on the fret board. Contemplated glow in the dark powder to create my own dots but then stumbled across this metallic barbed wire sticker kit on Jockomo website....

Here is a link to that website....https://www.inlaystickers.com/products/barbed-wire-fret-markers

CAUTION: The barbed wire sticker kit is a very thin piece of metal and does have sharp edges which meant I had to seal it under several layers of Tru Oil.

Photos of both to follow.

wazkelly
30-09-2018, 02:07 PM

fender3x
01-10-2018, 06:03 AM
Both look great. The Tele is totally bad-ass with that barbed wire "inlay". Other Tele's will run for cover when that one comes down the street...

Sonic Mountain
01-10-2018, 06:49 AM
Never really thought about this as an option....another reason to buy a vinyl plotter.

wazkelly
01-10-2018, 07:36 AM
Plotter would be good for logos too.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Sonic Mountain
01-10-2018, 08:09 AM
Oh yeah for sure, they are incredibly useful. You can run paper through them and put a marker in place of the cutter to draw 1:1 scale plans up as well - perfect for guitar building.

I miss having easy access to them and all the vinyl off cuts at work. I see the odd one come up at pretty reasonable prices for a 600mm wide jobby.

My tool wish list is a little out of control at the moment though, when the $ and deals align I'm going to grab one.