PDA

View Full Version : Struggling with wiring on RC-4

Wytsend
19-09-2018, 12:33 PM
My build is almost complete, I have a playable guitar but I can't get the volume/tone controls working right.

I've checked all the connections against the wiring diagram on my stock RC-4 kit build and all is correct, but the bridge volume appears to be acting as a master volume and the mid position on selector switch gives a thin 'out of phase' tone.

I tried reversing the wiring on the bridge pickup, but that didn't work too well - any suggestions?

Sonic Mountain
19-09-2018, 12:46 PM
Would be helpful to see a pic. Weirdbits is our resident wiring guy and will no doubt be along shortly. I would carefully check over your earthing. It will probably be something simple.

WeirdBits
19-09-2018, 03:18 PM
Yep, posting some photos of your wiring is the best to start. Stock parts or some aftermarket upgrades etc?

ILRGuitars
19-09-2018, 04:46 PM
I've found that if something sounds "thin", it's usually an earth problem.

Andyxlh
22-09-2018, 07:23 PM
Agreed, I'd be looking for connections which are earthing out, especially where you have soldered the connections to the pots.
Have a check on each soldered connection, make sure you haven't bridged across two connections. Also make sure you have the four connections on the selector correct, you haven't connected the earth on the selector to an output?

Simon Barden
22-09-2018, 07:46 PM
Wytsend (I like the name), are you anywhere near Reading? If so I'm happy to have a look at it for you.