PDA

View Full Version : dingotone intensifying coat on naughty oil

Old Tooth Hopkins
14-09-2018, 07:32 PM
From what I gather at the forum, intensifying coat give it a bit more depth and gloss on the overall finish.

Would it work on top of Wattyl stains?

Does it only have the desired effect underneath dingotone top coat?

I am testing out a combination of various spray and stains, which I am hoping to not end up being catastrophic failure.

wazkelly
14-09-2018, 08:13 PM
If you have some spare an experiment would give you answers to those questions.

I am presuming you have used DT and have some on hand? If not, simplest explanation - Intensifier is the same shade as base stain and whatever different properties it has definitely enhances the base already laid down. Not sure if it would adhere or do anything on its own when added on top of a foreign finish such as Wattyl stains, and any colour added on top of multiple Tru Oil coats does nothing as that stuff has already done a good job of sealing the finish underneath. On the EX1 I ran out of base stain and had a few bits around where neck joined body needing more colour and had to use plenty more of the intensifier to come up somewhere near the same colour shade.

Doesn't need to be underneath DT top coat as I never got that final part of the process to work properly and took the easy way out by using TO as the top coat on builds 1 & 2.

Mind you, all my experience was with DT Mk I and believe MkII is an improved formula.

Old Tooth Hopkins
16-09-2018, 12:43 PM
Thanks Waz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andy40
24-09-2018, 06:02 PM
Sorry to chime in so late It wont work unless the base coat is oil based not spirit based.