PDA

View Full Version : RCA socket question

JohnH
08-09-2018, 11:59 AM
Hey guys,

I'm building a little stereo for my studio, and it all works on the breadboard but then I got stumped when it came to wiring it into an actual enclosure. I can't quite figure out how to solder these:

www.jaycar.com.au/gold-rca-socket-red/p/PS0495

Is the ground connection the tab at the side?

(sorry for the rookie question)

Simon Barden
08-09-2018, 08:26 PM
Yes it is. Hopefully you've got a multimeter so you can double check for peace of mind, but the centre (signal) connection passes right through the centre of the socket.

All these connectors will be constructed the same way, so just searching for images on the web will show you side views like this, which makes things clearer.

The red/black rubber/plastic rings are just there to help identify left and right channel connections (and maybe act as dust exclusion devices as well), they serve no electrical purpose that I can think of.

JohnH
09-09-2018, 06:46 AM
Thanks Simon! Now to see if the more permanent version of the circuit still works...

JohnH
10-09-2018, 07:19 PM
Another silly question, but can I soldier directly to the gold plating? Or do I need to scrape it off?

Simon Barden
10-09-2018, 07:26 PM
Yes, solder to it.

JohnH
10-09-2018, 08:02 PM
Yes, solder to it.

Thanks Simon. I was hoping they might be the cause of the fuzzy sound coming out of it, but guess my investigations continue!