PDA

View Full Version : Bass String Top Ferrules?

Matt Pike's Shirt
07-08-2018, 07:00 AM
So I’m building a kit that has the G***** 3 point bridge that allows for a string-thru application. Instead of anchoring at the back of the bridge I want to go ST.

Obviously, for this I need string ferrules. Now the issue is that I can’t find top ferrules for this. I can find plenty of bottoms, and tops for guitar. For bass...nothing. Most basses that are ST just go right through the bridge and eliminate the need for top ferrules. But I’ve seen ST applications on RD’s so I know such a thing exists. Any ideas where I can find top ferrules? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dedman
07-08-2018, 07:38 AM
drill out guitar ones?
or
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pack-of-6-Top-Mount-String-Ferrules-for-Bass-Through-Body-Chrome/132492944082?hash=item1ed931e2d2:g:hrgAAOSw5KtadZc 8

Matt Pike's Shirt
07-08-2018, 07:40 AM
drill out guitar ones?
or
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pack-of-6-Top-Mount-String-Ferrules-for-Bass-Through-Body-Chrome/132492944082?hash=item1ed931e2d2:g:hrgAAOSw5KtadZc 8

Way too skinny, even for a regular set. I play a 135 on my E string.

Fretworn
07-08-2018, 03:48 PM
Before you go down that path makes sure your brand of strings are long enough to cope with the extra distance. Some builders have had issues with this.

Matt Pike's Shirt
08-08-2018, 03:28 AM
Before you go down that path makes sure your brand of strings are long enough to cope with the extra distance. Some builders have had issues with this.

Good call. I think I’ll be alright because it’s 2x2 on the headstock.

Fretworn
08-08-2018, 03:46 PM
Still worth checking as often the E strings are shorter.

Simon Barden
08-08-2018, 09:53 PM
It's less the overall length of string (which is normally fine), as the length of the fully-wound section of the string. There's always a clash of interest on bass strings between making the fully-wound section long enough so that it goes over the nut before thinning down, to making the fully-wound section too long so that it starts to wrap around the string post (which isn't good for the string or tuning stability). It's especially tricky for bottom E strings (or the B if it's a 5/6 string) as there's often only a 3cm gap between the nut and the string post.

It's often a question of trying out different makes, as they rarely give full technical details of wound string length on the websites. An extra 1cm or more of extra string length as it runs through the body can make all the difference between a set of strings sitting properly or with the taped/bound part running over the nut. And it's often down to the set you buy as to how long that fully-wound section is. I've bought sets in the past where the fully-wound length varies significantly from string to string.

If you can get them, I'd suggest trying Peavey Cirrus XL strings, as they are (supposedly) for 35" scale length basses. On my rear-strung Peavey Cirrus bass (supposedly 35" scale length but I measured it at 34"), there's a good 2cm of fully-wound string on the bottom E running-on past the nut.

I've seen topside mounting bass ferrules on eBay from China, but with very little description and a long delivery time. Maybe you could make your own simple brass plate (or even painted steel), with 4 holes in it for the strings and a couple for fixing screws?

Matt Pike's Shirt
10-08-2018, 11:34 AM
I seriously can’t find these things anywhere. Crazy idea: can I just put bottom ferrules on each side?

Simon Barden
10-08-2018, 09:27 PM
You can do. But look for ones that are relatively short compared to the width and use ones that are longer in length compared to the width. Something like these Gotoh TLB-1 ferrules are fairly compact. https://g-gotoh.com/international/product/tlb-1.html

But you could get a set of guitar ferrules and drill out the hole in the bottom to fit a bass string. They'd be smaller and neater than a wider bass ferrule (which needs to take the ball-end as well as the string). You only need to get the top ferrules to take the strings through.

Hobastard
10-08-2018, 09:56 PM
[/URL] https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pack-of-6-Top-Mount-String-Ferrules-for-Bass-Through-Body-Chrome/132492944082?hash=item1ed931e2d2%3Ag%3AhrgAAOSw5Kt adZc8&_sacat=0&_nkw=bass+string+top+ferrules&_from=R40&rt=nc&LH_TitleDesc=0

Simon Barden
10-08-2018, 10:48 PM
Those are 26mm/1" deep! I'd suggest that they are more suited to rear ferrules than top ones, despite the listing title.

Matt Pike's Shirt
10-08-2018, 10:56 PM
Those are perfect.

Sadly, they don’t ship to ‘Murica.

Simon Barden
11-08-2018, 05:34 AM
How thick is the bass body? You want long ferrules on the back, to reduce the overall string length required, and short ferrules on the top so that you've got a decent thickness of body wood to take the pressure from the rear ferrules. You don't want the two sets of ferrules touching in the middle as the top ferrules don't provide any real structural support.

Matt Pike's Shirt
11-08-2018, 05:35 AM
It’s not thick but I can do some light machining to shorten them.

fender3x
02-10-2018, 11:26 AM
I am in the US also. Was able to get the long ones, which I figure I'll use on the back. Got these for the front:

https://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Parts/All_Hardware_and_Parts_by_Instrument/Electric_Guitar_Parts/Electric_Guitar_String_and_Neck_Ferrules/Bass_String_Ferrules_Chrome_set_of_4.html

I think you could use these for front and back, but I wanted the long ones for the back to shorten string length.

fender3x
02-10-2018, 11:30 AM
I really should have said I have these on order...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bass-Guitar-Top-Mount-String-Ferrules-in-Chrome/312142235203?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

They do say they are to be top mounted... Not sure what difference it makes either way...except that rear mounted you'd have another 1" of string...

Simon Barden
02-10-2018, 07:06 PM
I'd be wary of the term 'top mounted' in a Chinese description. Here I think 'top mounted' means that it's surface mounting type because of the lip, and not the countersunk, without a lip, type.

Front mounting ferrules only need to be slightly wider than the string, whereas rear-mounting ferrules need to be a lot wider to incorporate the ball end. This makes their diameter significantly larger. The dimensions of those top mount string ferrules make them rear-mounting types in my book.

I've suggested before, and I'll suggest it again: Get some rear mount guitar ferrules and drill out the holes big enough for bass strings. Shorter and smaller all round. My Peavey bass is 1.6" thick. There simply isn't the thickness to get two sets of 1" long ferrules back to back! You could of course cut down the bass ferrules for the top, but that would still leave a very wide hole with no support for the string as it leaves the hole through the wood.

fender3x
03-10-2018, 05:42 AM
It never occurred to me that top mounted might refer to something on the guitar's back, but that makes great sense.

I plan to do some experimentation. Guitar ferrules are cheap enough to make it worth adding to the list of "test subjects" ;-)

fender3x
16-10-2018, 03:56 AM
Just got a set of the long ferrules. They definitely look more suitable for the back. I have a set of short bass and a set of guitar ferrules. I sort of like the idea of drilling the guitar ferrules out for use on top. May still use the short bass ferrules on top, because I have no idea how to drill one out.... The guitar ferrule holes would be super small for bass E and lower strings....

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Simon Barden
16-10-2018, 07:09 PM
But still bigger than even a thick E string.

I'd just clamp a ferrule in a vice, then stick a drill bit in from the top and drill away. The ferrule is tapered at the bottom so that should keep the drill centered. You'd probably need to clean the hole up with a round needle file and then maybe some rolled up fine grit paper to get rid of sharp edges.

The main internal diameter of my Telecaster rear ferrules are 0.25" (1/4") in diameter, so more than capable of taking a heavy 0.135" low B string on a 5-string with room to spare. Your enlarged through-hole needs to be bigger than the bottom E string diameter, and also allow for the thicker wrap at the ball end, as some of this will probably have to go through the hole. So check on the E string wrap thickness of your bottom E string from your normal manufacturer and have the hole a bit bigger than that. On a Peavey 0.100" bottom E string, I measure the wrap thickness at 0.125". So maybe a 5/32" (0.156") or 4mm drill. I'd drill out all the ferrules with the same sized hole.

fender3x
17-10-2018, 02:15 AM
I'll give it a shot. It's a shame I don't know where to get the ones Gibson used. They look about guitar sized in the pic...28612

wazkelly
17-10-2018, 06:36 PM
I'll give it a shot. It's a shame I don't know where to get the ones Gibson used. They look about guitar sized in the pic...28612

Strange that only 2 string ferrules are being used for the fattest strings in that shot???

fender3x
17-10-2018, 07:33 PM
Strange that only 2 string ferrules are being used for the fattest strings in that shot???I think I read that it's for reasons related to tone. In my case I want to keep the bridge posts from pulling out, so I plan to use all four ;-)

fender3x
29-10-2018, 07:17 PM

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using TapatalkMaybe not a problem that I can't find the Gibson originals...

Instead I used Simon's suggestion and drilled out some Fender Telecaster ferrules. They work fine and seem much tougher.2882728828

Simon Barden
29-10-2018, 08:43 PM
Looks good. Glad you could get it to work. Tuner ferrules aren't designed to take any real pressure on the edges at all.