PDA

View Full Version : DingoTone/Finish Question

camcam25796
01-08-2018, 12:39 PM
I have a bass guitar which I am hoping to stain with DT. My question I hope is simple, but I am new to this, so sorry in advance. If I purchase a DT body kit (say Coolangatta Gold) is this the only thing I need or do I need to purchase another finish on top? Also, I have found it difficult to identify the colours of the neck kits, so is there some where that I can find a colour chart/what colour neck finish would look good with Coolangatta Gold DT? Can I use Tru-Oil for the neck finish?

Thanks and sorry if this is in the wrong place.

Fretworn
01-08-2018, 06:47 PM
Welcome Cam,

If you buy a Dingotone stain kit it will come with a bottle for each part of the process, usually base coat, intensifying coat and top coat. Some aren’t fond of the top coat and use Tru-oil, or some other top coat instead. Yes you can Tru-oil the back of the neck, but it is not usually considered adequate for the fingerboard, it you are thinking of staining that. Conventional wisdom is oil the fingerboard with Dingowax, Dr Ducks or some other similar product. Do you have a maple, rosewood or “Blackwood” fingerboard?

wazkelly
01-08-2018, 08:05 PM
Hi Cam, curious to know which kit and whether bolt on or set neck.

Bolt-ons tend to be a different colour with mostly a clear to slight yellow tinge whilst a lot of set necks are the same colour as the body, which is my personal preference as that achieves a more factory finished look. Nothing wrong with staining a bolt on neck same as the body either as I have done that on a couple of Tele's too.

If sticking with DT for base, intensifier & top coat I would reccomend grabbing the colourless neck finish to use as top coat all over, but a big word of warning.....DT takes a very, very, very long time to cure between coats and can turn to crap real quick if you are impatient or in a hurry.

Cheers, Waz

Old Tooth Hopkins
01-08-2018, 09:24 PM
Not an expert, but I've just stained the neck recently using the DingoTone Acacia Colour. Build diary in footer.

It is a bit more yellow than I thought, but I expect it to fade a little bit more. It does look good on Rock maple.

Bloodwood is redder, MichaelS31 has done one on this link (https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ebuildyourownguita r%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fforum%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D5567&share_tid=5567&share_fid=183630&share_type=t)

I am guessing mission beach is even redder.