PDA

View Full Version : ES-5V video demo

blinddrew
15-07-2018, 04:17 PM
Rough and ready video of my ES-5V played through a yamaha THX10 mostly set to clean, except for the penultimate run on a basic crunch setting. Last clip is unplugged to give the sound of the guitar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA-H3o-k90I&t

Dedman
15-07-2018, 04:56 PM
nice work Drew!

blinddrew
15-07-2018, 05:37 PM
Thanks Dedman. :)

FrankenWashie
15-07-2018, 07:14 PM
Great work Drew, makes me envious as I just can’t sing, and definitely can’t play and sing.
wonderful stuff!

blinddrew
15-07-2018, 07:49 PM
Cheers FrankenWashie, I'm really not much of a guitarist so it's pretty much ornamentation for the voice when I'm playing. Fortunately we have a cracking guitarist in the band now so that's taken all that weight off my shoulders. :)

Simon Barden
21-07-2018, 06:11 PM
Fortunately we have a cracking guitarist in the band now so that's taken all that weight off my shoulders. :)

They've cut your head off? ;)

blinddrew
21-07-2018, 07:33 PM
I'm sure they've considered it from time to time. :)

blinddrew
01-10-2018, 02:26 AM
Here's another vid of the Troll in action, first gig in anger (no Simon, not Ongar): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb065tMRgHY
Audio is just from a phone but it's broadly indicative. :)

[EDIT to remove the 's']

FrankenWashie
01-10-2018, 03:47 PM
Noice. I really wish i could play and sing at the same time. I have enough trouble walking and thinking

blinddrew
02-10-2018, 12:17 AM
I have enough trouble walking and thinking Thanks Frankie, but you missed the bit where I fell off the stage at the end... ;)

wazkelly
02-10-2018, 06:35 PM
Surprisingly versatile for just a neck pickup equipped guitar.

blinddrew
02-10-2018, 07:49 PM
It is, yes. They're all variants of 'fat' but there's a good bit of tonal range. Definitely not a one-trick pony.

Andyxlh
05-10-2018, 06:28 AM
What a great looking and sounding guitar, and I'm with the singing/playing comments, fab job!

Boneman
09-05-2020, 05:14 PM
Liking the sound of the guitar. (I've a kit inbound). Finish looks GREAT and that's exactly what I'm going for. "Au Natural" as blondes have more fun. Stock pickup? I'm very impressed!

What finish did you use on this exactly? I'm wanting to get as much acoustically as possible... but still want a nice gloss as well.

EDIT: Saw your build diary on this. Tru oil, eh? Yeah, I don't think that stuff would ever properly dry here in my location. LOL. I live in a SWAMP. (sort of).

Great job all around!

Boneman

Cape Coma (Coral) FlawDUH, US

Simon Barden
09-05-2020, 05:57 PM
There aren't that many finishes that will dry well in high humidity.

I'd suggest having a look at the Solarez "I can't believe it's not lacquer" range of products. Dries in a few minutes in UV/sunlight (which you will have a lot of). I'd like to try some but it's either rare or stupidly expensive in the UK. Seen it used by a few decent guitar builders on YouTube. You won't need the grain filler, just the finish.

Bakersdozen
09-05-2020, 09:55 PM
There aren't that many finishes that will dry well in high humidity.

I'd suggest having a look at the Solarez "I can't believe it's not lacquer" range of products. Dries in a few minutes in UV/sunlight (which you will have a lot of). I'd like to try some but it's either rare or stupidly expensive in the UK. Seen it used by a few decent guitar builders on YouTube. You won't need the grain filler, just the finish.Likewise in AU, that shit ain't cheap. I dreamt about using that stuff after seeing Chris from Highline Guitars' video sometime back. Still something I'd really love to try one day

Simon Barden
09-05-2020, 10:32 PM
I did splash out and bought some Aqua Clear grain filler. It's OK, but I'm not totally convinced. Rather like a water-based poly gel (from the smell at least), with some micro-granules in.

But the Solarez stuff I can get is about 3x the US price, so £90 (AUD 170) for a pint of it (with delivery). More than the cost of a lot of the PBG kits! No idea how many applications I could get from that either, so a lot to spend just to see how good it is. But you could do all your clear coating in a day if you are in a hurry!

blinddrew
11-05-2020, 06:08 AM
Hi Boneman, sorry just saw your post but it looks like you're all covered. Good luck with the build, whatever route you take. Might be worth thinking about timing your build so that you're finishing in whatever period of the year has the driest (relatively speaking) weather.