PDA

View Full Version : July GOTM

Brendan
02-06-2018, 09:40 PM
July Guitar of the Month (for Guitars and Basses finished in June 2018)

Enter your finished guitar or bass here to be judged for the Pit Bull Guitars July 2018 Guitar of the Month.

Please remember:

For Guitars or Basses finished on (or before) the end of June 2018

One guitar/bass per member per month
It must be a Pit Bull Guitars kit (mods and upgrades acceptable)
Guitar or Bass must be finished and playable

We need at least 4 photos:
· full guitar shot from the front;
· close up of the body finish;
· shot of the back of the guitar; and
· close up of the headstock (please, no brand name logos)

Please post your photos in this thread. If you are having issues posting photos on the forum, please email them to brendan (at) pitbullguitars (dot) com

Please note: This competition is open to amateur guitar builders only. If you are making and selling guitars for profit, you are ineligible. Also while there are some stunning guitars around - you never know what the judges are looking for, so we encourage anyone who's built a Pitbull during the month to enter!

Competition for June closes at the end of June 2018 (Perth Western Australian time).

The sorts of things we judge on include:
· How well have the body and neck been prepared
· Is the choice of finish for the style of guitar appropriate
· How well has the finish been applied
· How well has all the hardware, pickups, etc, been installed
· Does it have the "Wow Factor"
· Which guitar would you make a beeline for in a guitar shop. That is, which one would you most like to take home.

BTW - remember that the winner is invited to be a guest judge the following month!

Spychocyco
07-06-2018, 10:45 PM
OK, I'll go first with my MM-1Q, lovingly called the Haxis, that I just completed over the weekend. I once wondered if I'd ever finish either of these guitars, now I've gotten them both done within a month of each other. This was supposed to be my first build, and I chose it because I'm a full-fledged member of the cult of Music Man, and I thought an Axis-style guitar was the perfect build for me. I actually just added the JK-1 from last month's contest on impulse.

The plan for this one was royal purple stain with a back that looked like natural mahogany because I like that look on some of the higher-end guitars that I've seen. I ran into some challenges with that, though. After much mixing and experimenting with stains, I never got quite the color I wanted for either. I got a purple that I liked for the front, and it is purple, even though it looks more like a dark red in the sunlight. I've included a bench shot of it that shows the purple tint, but it's really hard to get it to look in pics like it looks in person. As it turns out, it seems pretty much impossible to stain basswood to the color of mahogany, so I had to go with a painted back. When I ordered, the only MM1 kit available had black binding, so I didn't want to paint it black. I played around with a lot of colors until I found this hammered pewter that looked interesting on my test pieces. It was supposed to be a textured paint, and was on the pine that I played on, but the texture didn't pop on the basswood. Still, I'm not unhappy with the way it turned out. It's finished with Tru-Oil -- a whole bunch of coats and lots of sanding and buffing.

This kit definitely had more issues than the JK-1. As you can see, there are some glue spot issues that I decided to live with because I was afraid to do much sanding on the quilt veneer as I didn't want to cut through it. I worked them as best I could with a wire brush and did a little sanding, but I just couldn't get the stain to take on them. Also, the neck holes were too far to the side and not straight. I had to plug those and re-drill.

The neck is sanded to 2000 grit and finished with a Birchwood-Casey oil and wax blend, just like a real deal MM. I've gotten pretty good with that finish on the three projects I'm working on and plan to give it to a few other guitars I have laying around. The red spots that you see on the fretboard are stray pen marks from my fret-leveling. Unfortunately, it's permanent marker. I tried to sand it out, but didn't want to cut too deeply. Hopefully, they'll fade with time and play.

As far as upgrades, this kit is mostly stock. I upgraded the electronics to a CTS pot and Switchcraft switch and jack, and I put some Dragonfire Classic PAFs in it. Very different from the Screamers I put in the JK-1, these are warm, a little looser and better for classic rock/Southern rock-style dirt. I briefly considered putting humbucker-sized P90s in it, but decided that wasn't a good idea with the Floyd. It will probably get a Floyd upgrade in the future, but that's a large chunk of change, and we're still in the bonding phase. :)

Apologies also for my junky, old ATV in the background, but I was trying to get the best sun that day and didn't realize my background was not ideal until later. :)

Probably not a high bar for the other competitors this month to top, but there it is.

26864 26865

26866 26867

Spychocyco
07-06-2018, 10:52 PM
26868 26869

26870 26871

wazkelly
08-06-2018, 07:42 PM
Top effort and looks good.

Building 2 at the same time makes sense and has lots of benefits with applying the learning much quicker across both projects, plus something else to work on when one is drying or curing.

Wayne.Mumford
08-06-2018, 07:58 PM
Nice one Spycho,you got a nice flame finish ther. Any problems with the Floyd Rose, did you have to add extra springs to pull the bridge down when tuning?
Wayno.

CascadiaGuitarGeek
08-06-2018, 10:36 PM
Nice work Spychocyco. I love the contrast between the red top and grey back. A very unique colour combo.

Spychocyco
08-06-2018, 10:38 PM
Nice one Spycho,you got a nice flame finish ther. Any problems with the Floyd Rose, did you have to add extra springs to pull the bridge down when tuning?
Wayno.

Thanks. The FR was surprisingly easy. I was worried about that. It took a bit of trial and error adjusting of the springs and the claw, to get everything right, but it wasn't the nightmare that I was worried about. I ended up with all three springs on it and the claw almost all the way in to get the action right. It doesn't have a ton of back action now, but enough for the rare times I use it that way. The stock Floyd is definitely not the best I've used. The fine tuners are pretty rough and it just doesn't seem really sturdy, but it works.

Hardcoretroubadour
09-06-2018, 05:16 AM
Love those colours, especially the matt look to the back colour, well done mate

Guvna19
09-06-2018, 08:14 AM
Wow Spycho, great way to start another month. I doubt anyone wouldn't love that flame top, what a ripper!! Love the zebras too!

cheers
Guvna

Andyxlh
09-06-2018, 07:10 PM
That looks fantastic. I'm a huge fan of the VH model, I have an OLP Axis which is great. Mine is purple too!
Great job, and a wonderful start to the comp!

nitroburner1000
11-06-2018, 10:14 PM
26868 26869

26870 26871

Very nice setup. Youve got the perfect colour combo, the red and cream contrast bringing in the black and grey on the back. Love it.

DarkMark
17-06-2018, 07:27 AM
I think Spychocyco has scared the competition off this month.

blinddrew
17-06-2018, 04:42 PM
15 days left this month. At least 10 more coats of oil to do. Then the build. Think I'll be looking at July before I finish.
Mind you, given what everyone else is producing I'll just be there to make up numbers! :)

wazkelly
17-06-2018, 06:29 PM
15 days left this month. At least 10 more coats of oil to do. Then the build. Think I'll be looking at July before I finish.
Mind you, given what everyone else is producing I'll just be there to make up numbers! :)

Don't be too hard on yourself Drew.

blinddrew
17-06-2018, 07:44 PM
FIrst proper build, so I'm looking at it as a learning curve, it's mostly 2-steps-forward-1-step-back, but sometimes it's more of a break-even thing! Skipping the self-deprication for a moment, the thing that has really shot my build is the fretboard; that's just never going to be right.

wazkelly
17-06-2018, 07:52 PM
the thing that has really shot my build is the fretboard; that's just never going to be right.

Looks pretty good to me from the last photos posted.

blinddrew
17-06-2018, 08:05 PM
Overall it's coming along ok, but I do worry about whether the damage to the fret board will affect the playability when it's done. I shall find out in due course...

DarkMark
17-06-2018, 10:10 PM
Overall it's coming along ok, but I do worry about whether the damage to the fret board will affect the playability when it's done. I shall find out in due course...
I use flat wounds (chromes) on my guitar. They don’t even come into contact with the fret board itself.

blinddrew
17-06-2018, 10:51 PM
I suspect that will be case here as well. But I think we may be drifting off topic for this thread! :eek:

cork sniffer
18-06-2018, 06:45 AM
the thing that has really shot my build is the fretboard; that's just never going to be right.

I think extra points should be awarded for overcoming these problems.

Spychocyco
23-06-2018, 02:58 AM
I think Spychocyco has scared the competition off this month.

Tough competition this month. huh? :p Can't be my build, though. Maybe everyone's just on vacation?

FrankenWashie
23-06-2018, 05:42 AM
Tough competition this month. huh? :p Can't be my build, though. Maybe everyone's just on vacation?
Maybe in the Eurozone, not on the Australian side.

Andyxlh
23-06-2018, 06:03 AM
Hey the Axis has my vote!

FrankenWashie
23-06-2018, 06:13 AM
Hey the Axis has my vote!
Tough choice eh?😂

Dedman
23-06-2018, 09:01 AM
quick someone send me a kit! LOL

DarkMark
23-06-2018, 03:09 PM
One of the easier months to judge so far. Picking a runner up might be a challenge.

FrankenWashie
24-06-2018, 03:50 PM
I’m not normally one for entering GOTM, but here we go.

Korean Deluxe ST kit.
Kit stock other than:
-volume pot that required changing out, now Alpha Mini 500k
- aftermarket Gotoh string trees.

The finish is clear gloss Rustoleum on the body, and DT clear on the neck, finished Satin for easy playing and it is SILKY to play.

I have deliberately left the body unfilled to highlight the grain structures and pattern. I wanted the body to remain a tactile element under your hands as you play and handle it. It is a similar story on the head, allowing the finer grain feel to come through on the front and rear.

The pickups are bright and break up well, I angsted with changing them out for a while, but I want to play them in and see how they go.

I’ve called it finished in June though it has been together a while, as the final parts were sourced and fitted this month. (String trees).https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180624/c06d649a6a8001cb3d4c9b05ea95e60b.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180624/2cd655ea582c74b887baa7dc8a0ae151.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180624/dd92e0d2796617d44e27005a1ee31834.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180624/63787d0a8eea0d6025ac2cf11030fca8.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180624/d56bf46cc2dc9325398e88344941088a.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180624/7893cfb23c86940b9789023bc03213f2.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180624/8e977d892a8c06e292aa9efc9e871934.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180624/c877931ecad15660d964baaece97831f.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180624/7d1fbb10c3ea846c596c6d316925dc3f.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180624/015f486bfbd96d7d04759cdd4bc414bb.jpg

Thanks to Sonic Mountain for the assistance with headstock graphics, and others for their suggestions and feedback during the build.
One of the reasons this forum is so good is due to the efforts and assistance provided by its members, so thanks to all for participating.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

wazkelly
24-06-2018, 04:56 PM
Very nice Frankie.

blinddrew
24-06-2018, 05:03 PM
Dammit, now i want to build a strat as well!
Nice work there. :)

Sonic Mountain
24-06-2018, 05:57 PM
That really has come up well Franken.

Andyxlh
24-06-2018, 06:35 PM
Wow that's a super looker. The body wood is fab.

FrankenWashie
24-06-2018, 06:58 PM
Wow that's a super looker. The body wood is fab.
I did little more than try my best to highlight that grain pattern, sometimes less is more.

DarkMark
24-06-2018, 07:01 PM
I count seven guitars, one for each day of the week? Nice build FrankenWashie, nice clean looking guitar there.

FrankenWashie
24-06-2018, 07:07 PM
Dammit, now i want to build a strat as well!
Nice work there. :)

That really has come up well Franken.

Very nice Frankie.

Thanks Gents, very kind of you all to say.

cork sniffer
24-06-2018, 07:31 PM
I’m not normally one for entering GOTM, but here we go. Korean Deluxe ST kit.

I like that guitar so much that 3 years ago I payed stupid money to buy what I now know we can build ourselves :-(

FrankenWashie
24-06-2018, 07:49 PM
[QUOTE=cork sniffer;168800]I like that guitar so much that 3 years ago I payed stupid money to buy what I now know we can build ourselves :-(

27093[/QUOTE

Ooooooh, BLACK pickguard......ideas. Cheers CS.

FrankenWashie
24-06-2018, 07:58 PM
I count seven guitars, one for each day of the week? Nice build FrankenWashie, nice clean looking guitar there.
Umm, yeah sure, seven.....just seven🤫🤭

cork sniffer
24-06-2018, 08:03 PM
[QUOTE=cork sniffer;168800]Ooooooh, BLACK pickguard......ideas. Cheers CS.

It's the one in the first link.
If you like black ... I also got the one in the second link my special girl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9WByQc1aZk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oafszc1zrCY

FrankenWashie
24-06-2018, 08:16 PM
[QUOTE=FrankenWashie;168803]

It's the one in the first link.
If you like black ... I also got the one in the second link my special girl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9WByQc1aZk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oafszc1zrCY

Very nice rigs...lucky man. My next large expenditure will probably be a better amp. Can’t see me getting a Fender USA past the minister.

cork sniffer
24-06-2018, 08:29 PM
[QUOTE=cork sniffer;168806]Can’t see me getting a Fender USA past the minister.

The minister for finance at our home ALWAYS says the same, "OK we only live once BUT this will be the last". I suspect she has a bad memory.
As my kit assembly experience expands I'm not as interested in giving money to the big boys as before.

nitroburner1000
24-06-2018, 09:14 PM
Beautiful clean lines Franky, i really love it

DarkMark
24-06-2018, 09:33 PM
[QUOTE=FrankenWashie;168807]

The minister for finance at our home ALWAYS says the same, "OK we only live once BUT this will be the last". I suspect she has a bad memory.
As my kit assembly experience expands I'm not as interested in giving money to the big boys as before.

Me neither Cork Sniffer. But how do I tell Mrs DarkMark I’ve ordered a second guitar kit without asking permission? She might give me a stern look.

cork sniffer
25-06-2018, 05:54 AM
how do I tell Mrs DarkMark I’ve ordered a second guitar kit without asking permission? She might give me a stern look.

Firstly, you used the past tense "ordered" so you win, all that's left to do is act obsequiously in order to obtain forgiveness or to put it another way grovel :-)

Sonic Mountain
25-06-2018, 06:24 AM
Forgiveness is easier to get than permission.

FrankenWashie
25-06-2018, 07:17 AM
Beautiful clean lines Franky, i really love it

Thanks Nitro, I really love playing it!

king casey
25-06-2018, 07:27 AM
Forgiveness is easier to get than permission.

...and asking permission only gives them the opportunity to say 'no'.

[edit] p.s. Yes, excellent minimalist rendition Frankie.

cheers, Mark.

FrankenWashie
25-06-2018, 07:39 AM
...and asking permission only gives them the opportunity to say 'no'.

[edit] p.s. Yes, excellent minimalist rendition Frankie.

cheers, Mark.

Its been a long standing policy, beg for forgiveness, not for permission. Many thanks KC

EFG Guitars
25-06-2018, 07:53 PM
As part of my efforts to encourage creativity, self reliance, personal achievement and a bigger sense of the picture for our kids, I purchased my 11 year old son an AG-1F kit for his birthday. We have spent the past 8 months of weekends working on it...learning patience, dealing with issues, working the problems, and above all, not hurrying. We are both delighted with our collaborative efforts and, even more, with the results.

It sounds great and looks fantastic.

He now takes it to his guitar lessons with great pride, knowing it is the only one of its kind....and that it is his.

He wanted a gloss finish...which sounded alarm bells in me. But after numerous tests with different finishes, polishes and loads of elbow grease, it has come up great. For playability we sanded the neck back to a satin finish. The custom EFG logo is from my sons initials.

It may be some time before we build another kit...but just like having kids, it ends up being the wonderful things you remember...so will no doubt have another go at it. Perhaps one for me this time.

Cheers, Tom & Elmo (Switzerland & Australia)

Andyxlh
25-06-2018, 08:03 PM
Wow that's looks great, nice colour too!

EFG Guitars
25-06-2018, 08:13 PM
Cheers Andy....the colour is one of the blues from Crimson Guitars out of the UK. First we did a black stain to pop out the grain, sanded it back, then did the blue.

FrankenWashie
25-06-2018, 08:54 PM
As part of my efforts to encourage creativity, self reliance, personal achievement and a bigger sense of the picture for our kids, I purchased my 11 year old son an AG-1F kit for his birthday. We have spent the past 8 months of weekends working on it...learning patience, dealing with issues, working the problems, and above all, not hurrying. We are both delighted with our collaborative efforts and, even more, with the results.

It sounds great and looks fantastic.

He now takes it to his guitar lessons with great pride, knowing it is the only one of its kind....and that it is his.

He wanted a gloss finish...which sounded alarm bells in me. But after numerous tests with different finishes, polishes and loads of elbow grease, it has come up great. For playability we sanded the neck back to a satin finish. The custom EFG logo is from my sons initials.

It may be some time before we build another kit...but just like having kids, it ends up being the wonderful things you remember...so will no doubt have another go at it. Perhaps one for me this time.

Cheers, Tom & Elmo (Switzerland & Australia)

Hot Damn that is nice! Fantastic work and an even better build story, really impressive work guys, I tip my hat to you both!

DarkMark
25-06-2018, 09:31 PM
A great project to do with your child. I especially like the headstock, EFG.

Spychocyco
25-06-2018, 10:22 PM
Well, dang, and here I thought I was going to win. :)

Nice grain on that ST Frankie. I particularly like how the grain on the neck complements the body. Good call, I'd say, to leave it natural.

And EFG .... wow. That's an incredible finish and a gorgeous piece all around. I'm not really an SG guy, but if I came across that in a guitar store, it would probably come home with me.

FrankenWashie
26-06-2018, 04:04 AM
Well, dang, and here I thought I was going to win. :)

Nice grain on that ST Frankie. I particularly like how the grain on the neck complements the body. Good call, I'd say, to leave it natural.

And EFG .... wow. That's an incredible finish and a gorgeous piece all around. I'm not really an SG guy, but if I came across that in a guitar store, it would probably come home with me.

Cheers Spycho, I reckon there is probably a couple more to come later this week, but I think it’s going to be a tussle between Purple and Blue this month!

wazkelly
26-06-2018, 04:40 AM
Cheers Spycho, I reckon there is probably a couple more to come later this week, but I think it’s going to be a tussle between Purple and Blue this month!Don't write off the nude finish so soon Frankie.
3 very good entries so far.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

JB RETRO
26-06-2018, 05:03 AM
Sometimes it's nice to see some elegant understatement. Sweet FW

cork sniffer
26-06-2018, 06:41 AM

VERY good result and GREAT back story.
I'll be watching out for your next build.

FrankenWashie
26-06-2018, 07:53 AM
Sometimes it's nice to see some elegant understatement. Sweet FW

Cheers JB, Greatly appreciated.

FrankenWashie
26-06-2018, 08:01 AM
Don't write off the nude finish so soon Frankie.
3 very good entries so far.

Thanks Waz, if nothing else they are three very contrasting builds, which is great to see. The flame level on Haxis and the EFG is somewhat special though, really well turned out builds.

Volgar
27-06-2018, 11:05 PM
Hi everybody !
It's my turn to post my guitar, which I finally finished after several months! haha
I have not only created a guitar, but also a new passion and insurance to repair my guitars myself and I would like to thank Pitbull Guitars for that!

Here is my JMA-1L, called the "Illumaster"!

It was painted in matte nitrocellulose vintage white, and the neck had its little tru-oil treatment!
She is extremely easy to play, and I find her personally extremely beautiful!
I don't really think I'll win this month but I will at least have feedbacks on my work!
https://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2018/26/3/1530111637-img-1411.jpg
https://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2018/26/3/1530111632-img-1426.jpg
https://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2018/26/3/1530111641-img-1419.jpg
https://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2018/26/3/1530111642-img-1423.jpg
https://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2018/26/3/1530111630-img-1422.jpg
https://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2018/26/3/1530111635-img-1425.jpg

Spychocyco
28-06-2018, 02:55 AM
Hi everybody !
It's my turn to post my guitar, which I finally finished after several months! haha
I have not only created a guitar, but also a new passion and insurance to repair my guitars myself and I would like to thank Pitbull Guitars for that!

Here is my JMA-1L, called the "Illumaster"!

Oh, man, you put it together backwards. :p

Seriously, though, nice work. The first one is a great learning experience, and it is a bit of an addiction. I'm working on everything I can find now. :)

FrankenWashie
28-06-2018, 04:46 AM
C’est manifique Volgar! Fantastic work!

Andyxlh
28-06-2018, 05:18 AM
Well done Volgar, the body finish looks very smooth and pro. Nice match with the pickguard. Really super job!

Volgar
28-06-2018, 08:12 AM
Thank you ! :)

Serban
28-06-2018, 03:39 PM
Hi everybody.
been an old fan of Nirvana , i manage to get me a small Nirvana-sanctuary. I got in total 17 guitars wich includes 6 replicas of the Nirvana era. The 3 Mustangs, 1 Jaguar , 1 Vandalism Stratocaster and finaly the RD bass of Krist Novoselic , all moded to look and sound like the originals (so i think ). The RD bass is a DIY KIT from Pitbull guitars . It took me several month to paint it , given the fact that i have a lot of work to do at my job. In the end the finish it's acceptable , the sound it's great and the personal colection it's done. Maibe if i will find the time i'll make the Jagstang myself. Ai have a CNC router and maibe some day...
I'll try to add the pictures soon.

Andyxlh
28-06-2018, 04:20 PM
Very nice Serban! The finish looks deep and shiny. Don't know much about Nirvana, but that's a good looking instrument!

Serban
28-06-2018, 04:38 PM
After making the final tuning for the RD bass , the next step is to refinish the pickguard. The 45 degree edge it's not constant and the fine lines don't show up very good.
Thanks for the apreciation.
Maybe if the admin alows me i'll show the others guitars that i moded. I even made a Jimi Hendrix replica. But it has a Fender print on the headstock. Its just for personal colectin. Actualy , i dont even know to play guitar the way i did 20 years ago. I'm a parent with more hobbies. :)
I also have 3 Subies that i'm moding.

wazkelly
28-06-2018, 09:08 PM
Nice Bass Serban.

Suggest posting your other guitars in the 'Non Pit Bull' section as I am sure there would be many forum members keen to see what you have done.

Cheers, Waz

Sonic Mountain
29-06-2018, 06:21 AM
Great looking Bass!

Sonic Mountain
02-07-2018, 09:34 AM
Oooh..sparkly. Very nice

Brendan
02-07-2018, 10:10 PM
Comp now closed.

New one up shortly...

Brendan
07-07-2018, 10:28 PM
So to the results - a really tight peleton this month, with a hankie between first and last in terms of points, but we'll get to that later...

The comments:
Spychocyco's MM-1Q
Whether it's purple or red I like the finish on this, the quilt is really popped. An interesting choice for the back, one I wouldn't have thought of and it works.Nice choice of pick ups too. Defiantly a nice outcome.
Really nice looking build. Plus points for pickup upgrades and custom logos. Personally I'm not to keen on the grey back with the dark red top, though the top itself looks very nice.
I like the unique colour combination. Is the finish a bit uneven on the edge of the belly contour or is it just the photo?
Really like this one a lot. Very hard to do a veneer topped guitar as theres no margin for error and theres always glue marks. colours are great and suit the whole setup, matching the hardware perfectly. The finish is really good and even though the back didnt come up like as planned it still suits. Nice headstock shaping and decal.
Tastefully finished kit. Perfect colour choice that has brought the quilt to life. Pewter sides and rear give it a bit more tough industrial look which looks cool.
I love the rich, vibrant quilt on the top, almost like a dark flame rippling over a flat surface. The purple may be lost in the photos but the dark red looks great anyway, the minor glue spots are the only detraction. I'm not so sold on the back colour, it's fine by itself but for me it clashes a little too much with the beautiful top. The trem rout looks like it needs some colour or black to hide the bare wood. Headstock looks great with the custom graphics. Very nice.
classy build love the colour and the hardware. The quilted top looks amazing !

FrankenWashie's Korean ST
The fact that this is finished rather than still in bits a year later makes me think Igor actually built this kit. A great example of "Keep it simple" this would call me from across a shop full of bursts and fades.
A nice, simply finished kit. As the point of building it was to evaluate the kit quality, lack of upgrades is understandable (only replacements for faulty kit parts). The neck plate looks a bit wonky, but seems to be how the factory holes were drilled. Although the choice of a large headstock does fit in with the '70s look of an untinted clear body finish, for me it loses the guitar its 'wow' factor.
Clean, simple & shiny. What more could you ask for.
Nice clean lines, very neat and the white pickguard compliments the nude finish, although im not a true fan of light natural timber finishes. The subtle finish suits the grainy design as a high gloss finish would tend to detract. Another great build. Dont know if thats a scratch or natural blemish just under the bridge area.
The Spy had to wait another 16 days for next entry submitted by FW. Superb natural finish where the raw bits of timber have some wild grain that blend into one another, complimented by a subtle tint in the finish. Love the headstock graphics too.
Plain, simple, beautiful. I love the natural look, the grain, the white pickguard and headstock both front and back. The finish just makes you want to run your hands over it. Strangely, although I love the white pickguard I find the white trem cover a little distracting, not sure why. I think I'd just love to see a clear cover showing off more of the wood and displaying the springs, instead of the opaque white. Regardless, gorgeous.
another classy Franky build the grain looks sweet. Maybe some pau shell dot markers would really have set it off !

EFG Guitars AG-1F
What a great way to spend family time. The time spent certainly paid off. The worn denim finish suits the SG style, a rock n roll beast. Great 1st build.
Great looking guitar with lots of wow factor. I like the logo and the change to a bell-shaped truss rod cover. The finish on the rear of the guitar looks a bit patchy but also makes the finish that bit more original.
The worn denim look strikes again. This is a great job guys. The logo has come up really well.
Great effort on this one, blue goes great. A real eye catcher. Your son will be stoked. The only down side could be that the stain looks a little patchy esp a blemish by the rear control panel cover but that could be the pics.
Awesome job with such a vibrant blue flame top. Love the personalised headstock logo and proper shaped truss rod cover too. Basswood can be tricky to stain and your weather look on the back works a treat. Good back story too and would have liked to kept up with a build diary along the way.
A fantastic project to build with your son. Vivid, striking and wild colour, both the darker blue on the sides and headstock and lighter blue and pronounced flame on the top. Maybe a touch busy for my tastes, but love it anyway. Nicely shaped headstock and great logo.
awesome colour and the flame maple looks great. Nice build. Blue really suits a SG shape

Volgar's JMA-1L
Do we allow lefties in GOTM? Just joking. Classic colour combo for a Jazzy and the paint work looks perfect. A neat and professional job all round.
I like this guitar a lot. Original headstock logos and nice pickup upgrades. The build diary details quite a few problems that were overcome and the final result looks great.
Great job Volgar. It is simple and classic and often that is better than over the top fancy.
An awesome looking offset, love the matt finish with the red, makes it pop. A lot of attention to detail and everything matches well. Id like to pick this one up!.
Don’t see many lefties and had to check how strings were installed to make sure some Right hander hadn’t done a Hendrix to a JMA-1. All F shapes look great in vintage white and neck clear has just enough tint to add an aged look. Cool headstock logo too.
A nice, clean, elegant JL. The finish looks nice and the colour works well with the pickguard. I would love to see it with a darker, oiled look to the fretboard. Nice headstock and custom logo. Great first build.
clean build the red plate and white paint go well with this shape well done !

Serban's RD-4
MMMM glossy black ```` Great paint work and I like the string thru mod .Very neat and professional looking.
Great looking bass with a really nice gloss finish. I like the string-thu body solution to the weak bridge design. It would have been nice to see a logo on the headstock (preferably an original one).
"None more black". Great finish. It might just be the photo, but the bridge seems to be a bit crooked.
The weirdest shaped guitar ive seen in a long time but it does the trick, looks stunning in black and chrome. Great finish seeing as black is the hardest to achieve, and gloss at that. Great effort.
Very shiny which is not an easy thing to do with Black. String through ferrules were a good idea and probably help to keep the 3 point bridge well seated. Crazy shape, not my style but you have done a good job and faithful replica.
That is some heavy duty black gloss, it's hard to tell where the pickguard ends and the body begins. An awesome, almost liquid, looking finish. The fretboard appears a little dry in contrast to the liquid finish, but a really great looking bass.
black paint and guard on this shape it looks ready for a fast loud band ! top effort ! no close up of headstock but looks like it's missing a logo !

Brendan
07-07-2018, 10:32 PM
So, the runner up - congratulations Spychocyco!
http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=26864&d=1528128038

And the sprinter's jersey goes to FrankenWalshie - the Korean ST has pipped everyone at the post!
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180624/c06d649a6a8001cb3d4c9b05ea95e60b.jpg

blinddrew
07-07-2018, 10:59 PM
Congratulations all, once again a whole range of stunning guitars. :)

Sonic Mountain
08-07-2018, 04:42 AM
Great work all and congrats to Frankie and Spychocyco.

Andyxlh
08-07-2018, 06:19 AM
Congrats guys, I liked all of the guitars this month, and the two winners are superb.

wazkelly
08-07-2018, 06:48 AM
Congrats all entrants, another tough month where FW & Spy got the chocolates. Well done all round.

wokkaboy
08-07-2018, 09:03 AM
congratulations Franky and Spy, I couldn't split the points between all entries were of a high standard !

Dedman
08-07-2018, 09:17 AM
congrats Igor and Spyd!

FrankenWashie
08-07-2018, 09:43 AM
Wow! Very humbled, thanks for all the feedback and compliments.
Congratulations to Spyco and I want to say great jobs by everyone, some really great build work going on peeps, keep it going!
I love being a part of this wonderful community!!

DarkMark
08-07-2018, 09:51 AM
A tight peleton indeed, and an impressive collection of performance enhancing equipment. Congratulations FrankenWashie and Spychocyco and everybody else. Who would want to be a judge?

Fretworn
08-07-2018, 06:19 PM
Congratulations guys.

(and did that Wokka fellow decide to creep out of his hiding place?)

nitroburner1000
08-07-2018, 09:24 PM
Great work to all builders this month esp the winner and runner up. Wow very hard to choose this month.

trv
09-07-2018, 12:00 AM
Some real nice pieces this month. Congrats Frankie, that Strat is so fresh and so clean!

EFG Guitars
09-07-2018, 06:02 AM
Congratulations on all of the builds and thanks for the constructive feedback on our first build. Having spent the time building it with my son, I was reminded of times before everything came off the shelf or was thrown away when it stopped working. "Creating" empowers & inspires us towards our un-tapped potential. And if you can make music from what you create, then it just keeps on inspiring. Good indeed.

Spychocyco
09-07-2018, 10:58 PM
Awesome. I thought there were quite a few entries this month better than mine, but I'm stoked anyway.

Thanks to the judges for the feedback. Looking forward to climbing back in the saddle on another build soon -- when I figure out which one is next.

Volgar
12-07-2018, 06:06 PM
Congratulation !

FrankenWashie
13-07-2018, 05:44 AM
congrats Igor and Spyd!
Motht grathiouth of you Sir, but it wath all the marthter. I wanted to paint it black.......