PDA

View Full Version : Geolocated Pricing Take 2

adam
23-05-2018, 05:12 PM
We (actually it was Darren) have added a new Geolocated Pricing option to our site.

This should locate where you are browsing from and display the prices in your currency, with GST (Australian Sales Tax) if you are in Aus and without GST if you are outside Australia.

We have the options of AUD, USD, GBP*, and EURO, which probably cover 95% of Countries we sell to.

*Didn't want to be in your bad books again Simon B.

If you are browsing from Sweden, for example, we don't have the Swedish Krona option (Jag är ledsen), however, it will display the prices in AUD without GST. You also have the option to switch to USD or Euro, if you are more familiar with prices in those currencies.

Note: if you in Australia but have a VPN set outside Australia, or you are working with from servers based in another country (this just happened), then you will see the ex-GST prices, however, once you pay the invoice you will be charged GST (which is based on your shipping address)

Also, please note, when you get to PayPal or ANZ (Credit Card payment), the price will convert back to AUD, as required by Law. The conversion estimates should be pretty close; with a few dollars or so.

There may be some issues, so please have a play and let us know if you can find any bugs.

Simon Barden
23-05-2018, 05:17 PM
Generally looks and works OK for me.

adam
23-05-2018, 08:14 PM
Generally looks and works OK for me.

I'm taking that as enthusiastic endorsement.

fender3x
23-05-2018, 11:31 PM
Everything is showing up in USD for me. Seems to work great.

blinddrew
24-05-2018, 12:26 AM
Looks ok from here as well (U.K.)

Simon Barden
24-05-2018, 01:15 AM
I'm taking that as enthusiastic endorsement.

I'm just not quite sure what benefit the 'select your country' option gives, as selecting a different country e.g. if I'm on GBP and select 'France', then the currency doesn't change to Euros? Or does it then show prices with that country's VAT/GST/sales tax used? For some countries I do note that the kit value changes a bit. If so, it might be worth putting that in words e.g. 'Select your country to show prices with your country's sales tax added'.

adam
24-05-2018, 06:04 AM
The Select Country is a back up, in case the Geolocation doesn't get your country right. Like the Australian customer the other day who worked for a US Company with US Servers. He was seeing the ex-GST prices.

No, they don't include the respective Country's sales/import tax, that would be a nightmare.

The prices shouldn't vary; in AUD they are either with or without our GST. Maybe what you are seeing is the exchange rate fluctuation, which I believe changes in real-time.

If you think you are seeing variations, please grab some screen shots and send them through.

Buchanfarmer
24-05-2018, 08:22 AM
Hi Adam, Banggood.com also use geolocation to publish their prices. Somehow, I never see any fluctuations in the prices. They publish their prices to me (Australian Server etc) in $AU incl GST and also quote any postage etc in $AU + GST.

I was actually attempting to go a degree in IT and the instructors could not see how all this could happen - very sadly their course notes were set about 5 years ago or more. They wanted to re-invent the wheel so to speak and get students to think about how to do commerce on the internet, but they wanted a specific focus on only 2 currencies - a real world view of Banggood I showed them made the instructors think more than twice. They honestly had never thought that maybe their old and outdated course had been well and truly passed by technology.
Yes I eventually told them to put their degree back into a slide rule where it well and truly belonged.

I wish you success on getting the system working well for customers not domiciled in Australia.
Doug.

trv
24-05-2018, 11:38 AM
The old site had CAD as well... just sayin'

Simon Barden
24-05-2018, 03:50 PM
After more testing, it's only the Australian country selection that adds Australian GST and increases the price seen. So it could be simplified to 'Australia' and 'other'.

adam
26-05-2018, 08:13 AM
After more testing, it's only the Australian country selection that adds Australian GST and increases the price seen. So it could be simplified to 'Australia' and 'other'.

Yes, that would work, but it's a handy way of letting people know the countries we ship to. Plus, it is always nice to have your country acknowledged.