PDA

View Full Version : HBB-5 semi-hollow bass stock pickups

ChefBrianNYC
17-05-2018, 02:51 AM
Rainy tues off work figured why not! Love this bass, someone with more skills should demo it haha

Headphones are a must, it was recorded in my garage but I'm happy with it and feel like it's a good example of how it sounds.

Second link recorded direct in the daw

https://youtu.be/l9Iq9LBJZJ4

https://youtu.be/eVWUhZDF7-o

wazkelly
17-05-2018, 06:44 PM
Good demo.

The pickups don't sound too bad, just not a lot of bright top end tones from that sound clip.

FrankenWashie
17-05-2018, 06:51 PM
Nice work Brian, it looks fantastic being played and sounds great! Wonderful job.

ChefBrianNYC
17-05-2018, 06:58 PM
Thanks guus! I wonder if the top end thing is my fault...been so many years since I've played on rounds I may have EQ'd out the top end...too much string noise changing positions! Haha

ChefBrianNYC
17-05-2018, 07:09 PM
Also, one observation about the pickups from the video: You can watch the compression light on the amp, and set on 3 the bridge pickup solo barely triggers it. Also noticed when plugged in direct to my mixer the input is about 6db less on the bridge everything else being equal. Food for thought. I was assuming the opposite would be true given that the bridge pickup magnet was noticeably heavier than the neck. Or did I just totally install those wrong? I assumed the bridge needed more magnet because the strings vibrate less in that pos....any thoughts appreciated thanks

ChefBrianNYC
17-05-2018, 07:16 PM
I am also embarrassed that I did not use the B string on a fiver [emoji17] ...shame shame

wazkelly
17-05-2018, 07:21 PM
Just ran a multimeter over my set of the same PUP's and each coil reads about 7.91k on each pickup so when paired together they should read about 15.82k or thereabouts. Looks like they are interchangeable and not the same as others where neck is usually a lower impedance compared to the bridge.

Maybe the bridge PUP is sitting too low and might need to be raised a bit and possibly neck one lowered to help even out sound levels. Rather than using meters this is usually best done by ear at normal playing volume.

Cheers, Waz

wazkelly
17-05-2018, 07:22 PM
I am also embarrassed that I did not use the B string on a fiver [emoji17] ...shame shame

If it is your first fiver, you are forgiven as it does take a while to get used to.

ChefBrianNYC
17-05-2018, 07:23 PM
The best thumb rest I've ever had though!

ChefBrianNYC
17-05-2018, 07:24 PM
Neck pu is bottomed out...i will try raising the bridge!!! Thank you!

ChefBrianNYC
17-05-2018, 07:27 PM
Maddening to keep playing the E like it's the A. Other than that it's going ok I've been able to use it walking lines and for that it's amazing! Instantly changed a whole part of autumn leaves for me that gave me fits deciding where to go.
If it is your first fiver, you are forgiven as it does take a while to get used to.

wazkelly
17-05-2018, 07:33 PM
Neck pu is bottomed out...i will try raising the bridge!!! Thank you!

Looking at kit photos on PBG site the routs are similar to those on my EX-5 and suggest removing bridge PUP and cut out some super high density foam that is no thicker than 5 mm to fit the hole and use that instead of springs for height adjustment. For neck PUP, maybe check to see if springs are doing anything at all. If not, remove them and replace with an even thinner piece of foam and screw things down solid.

wazkelly
17-05-2018, 07:45 PM
Maddening to keep playing the E like it's the A. Other than that it's going ok I've been able to use it walking lines and for that it's amazing! Instantly changed a whole part of autumn leaves for me that gave me fits deciding where to go.

Quickest way to get your head around a fiver is to noodle around on 5th fret....on 4th E string this plays an A whilst on the thickest 5th string (if tuned to low B) it should play an E. So instead of playing low E open on 4th you start using 5th fret on 5th string. For patterns with a long stretch down near nut end it is a whole lot easier shifting up the neck to take advantage of an additional string to access that lower note.

Point in case is main riff in Money by Pink Floyd. Much easier to play on fiver as less of a stretch however when swapping back to a four banger it takes a few moments to remember where those notes are in a different position. Good way to force yourself how to explore many different positions on the neck by swapping back & forth between 4 & 5 strings.

Tend to find the low open B and bit too low and hang out mostly around 5th fret and maybe down to 3rd.

Otherwise it is a good thumb rest as you have already discovered.

ChefBrianNYC
17-05-2018, 07:54 PM
Or I could just jam along to some Korn records...but yeah, your idea sounds better!! Haha that Fieldy huh...

wazkelly
17-05-2018, 08:01 PM
You have reminded me I need to make more time to play some of these builds rather than keep moving onto the next one, and the next one, and.....you get the picture.

FrankenWashie
17-05-2018, 08:34 PM
You have reminded me I need to make more time to play some of these builds rather than keep moving onto the next one, and the next one, and.....you get the picture.

i am so +1000 on this comment.

ChefBrianNYC
21-08-2018, 10:37 PM
A good warm tone from the rooster [emoji16]

https://youtu.be/eVWUhZDF7-o

blinddrew
22-08-2018, 04:24 AM
Nice and clean!

DarkMark
23-08-2018, 11:21 AM
Nice sound, nice playing. I like seeing these guitars in action.

ChefBrianNYC
31-01-2019, 09:43 PM
Solo bridge pickup with new DR black beauty's

ChefBrianNYC
31-01-2019, 09:48 PM
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7mbrqi07l6yhfzb/VELVET01%20AEFmtConversion1548948701270.mp3?dl=0

The first real track ive laid down with this beast

Sonic Mountain
01-02-2019, 04:45 AM
Pretty cool. Giving me a real Sleep Makes Waves vibe

For those that haven't heard them, great live version here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QoaAUtQ5as

FrankenWashie
01-02-2019, 06:48 AM
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7mbrqi07l6yhfzb/VELVET01%20AEFmtConversion1548948701270.mp3?dl=0

The first real track ive laid down with this beast

Nice Chef, real Nice. Great work!

blinddrew
02-02-2019, 12:41 AM
Enjoyed that Chef, good work! :)

wazkelly
07-02-2019, 08:00 PM
Sounds great chief. Liked the tune too.

DarkMatterResist
29-06-2020, 10:00 AM
@ChefBrianNYC Heya, I am in the process of building this beaut of a bass, but have come stuck with finding strings that will fit. Can you please send a link to the strings that you are using please? Long scale strings i have tried were not long enough due to the body feeding mechanism. So confused and I cant set it up or play it in its current state.

Thanks so much!

Simon Barden
29-06-2020, 02:43 PM
https://www.drstrings.com/coated-bass-black-beauties

Sonic Mountain
30-06-2020, 08:21 AM
Hmm.. listed as 37 3/4". I posted in another thread a reply with 38" super long scales and OP said they'd still be too short.

DarkMatterResist
30-06-2020, 10:13 AM
@Simon Barden and @ Sonic Mountain .... thanks lads. I had ordered a green coated set (I think they might be DR?) and the music shop called today to let me know they have arrived. I will grab them after work am am praying they fit. I noticed another thread relating to the DHB-5 and it looked like the strings were installed even though they were not long enough and apparently it did not effect the sound.

Is this a design fault on the DHB-5 as it seems to be a common problem?

I will fit the strings and do the final setup this eve and all going well, will enter it in the competition :)