PDA

View Full Version : Live bands playing onstage in the Theatre at uni tomorrow.

DrNomis_44
01-05-2018, 05:16 PM
Hey everyone, as part of the Live Production and Technical Services VET course I'm doing at uni this year, we'll be mixing the Front Of House sound for some bands from the contemporary music department, who will be performing onstage in the Theatre at uni tomorrow, we have been spending most of today getting all the band equipment and PA system set up onstage, ready for tomorrow's show, should be pretty cool.

Dedman
01-05-2018, 06:28 PM
That should be good fun and good experience Doc!

Marcel
01-05-2018, 07:15 PM
So tell us about the rig Doc.... Hire rig? Desk? Speakers? Amps? Microphones? any super cool bits of gear?

DrNomis_44
01-05-2018, 08:33 PM
So tell us about the rig Doc.... Hire rig? Desk? Speakers? Amps? Microphones? any super cool bits of gear?

Well, as far as I know, we are going to be using two mixing desks, a 24 channel analog Allen and Heath, and a digital Venue, the Venue mixing desk is going to be the main F.O.H. mixer, and the Allen and Heath is going to be used sort of as a sub-mix, the guitar amps are a Fender Prosonic Valve amp and a Boss KTN-100 Katana digital modelling amp, the bass amp is an Ampeg (not sure what the model is but it is a solid state amp), there's no super cool bits of gear, unless you count the Venue digital mixing desk.

I can't remember what mics we ended up using but most of them were dynamic types, two of the mics are wireless, I can post a list of the mics used tomorrow after I get home from uni.

DrNomis_44
01-05-2018, 08:34 PM
That should be good fun and good experience Doc!

For sure, I'm totally looking forward to it.

DrNomis_44
04-05-2018, 06:44 PM
Update:

Here we go, as promised, here are some pics of the live show at the uni Theater, I took on Wednesday this week:

This is the 24 Channel analog Allen and Heath mixing desk we were using as our foldback mixer.

This is the Venue digital mixing desk we were using as our Front Of House sound mixing desk.

Here's a pic of the stage setup, the guitar amp on the left is a Fender Prosonic valve amp, and the guitar amp on the right is a Boss KTN 100 Katana amp.

Here's a pic of the musicians on stage, I think we were doing a final sound-check when I took this pic, I tried to take pics of the band playing, but they came out too blurry.

Note: All the gear used in the live performance is owned by the contemporary music department of the Charles Darwin University, no hired gear was used.

Marcel
04-05-2018, 10:08 PM
And your role? Did you get to be a sound guy or a muso?

DrNomis_44
05-05-2018, 07:51 AM
And your role? Did you get to be a sound guy or a muso?

I was actually one of the stage techs setting up all the stuff onstage, when I was taking the pics I wasn't doing much at the time. we're going to be doing the same thing next week, except I'll be on one of the mixing desks.