PDA

View Full Version : Variations on PBG-2

Andy123
28-04-2018, 11:35 PM
I really think the PBG-2 (https://www.pitbullguitars.com/shop/guitars/pit-bull-guitars-pbg-2-electric-guitar-kit/) has a lot of potential. As it is, it's a pretty cool looking guitar, but I think these additions could take it to another level:

Neck & body binding
Flame or quilt veneers
Contoured top (like a PRS or LP)
Baritone scale length neck
Semi hollow version with F holes
Different trem styles (Bigsby might look classy)

I've probably missed a few cliches out, but you get my drift.

Andy123
29-04-2018, 10:31 PM
Actually, those options would work with the DM-1 as well.

adam
04-05-2018, 06:38 PM
I really think the PBG-2 (https://www.pitbullguitars.com/shop/guitars/pit-bull-guitars-pbg-2-electric-guitar-kit/) has a lot of potential. As it is, it's a pretty cool looking guitar, but I think these additions could take it to another level:

Neck & body binding
Flame or quilt veneers
Contoured top (like a PRS or LP)
Baritone scale length neck
Semi hollow version with F holes
Different trem styles (Bigsby might look classy)

I've probably missed a few cliches out, but you get my drift.

Hi Andy,

I agree and we've been working with the factory on a range of contoured (arch top) PBG-2 kits, with a view to replace the LP kits. I love the look of these guitars and we do sell quite a few of them in their current form.

I like all your ideas, especially the Semi-hollow and Bigsby style trem options.

The Baritone project is still in development... don't know why it's such an issue. There seems to be a problem with a scale length between a guitar and a bass... no idea why. I think they just don't grasp the concept. Will keep working on it.

Aiming for November for the new contoured PBG-2 kits.

FrankenWashie
04-05-2018, 06:45 PM
Ah Feck! Andy’s OP started Igor thinking. We all know where that leads.....

Andy123
16-02-2019, 09:16 AM
PBG-2 seems to be missing from the site at the moment. No longer being sold, site error, or perhaps changes in progress?

adam
17-02-2019, 04:58 PM
Hi Andy,

It's in Hiatus. The PBG-2 is one I'm personally very fond of.

I've asked the Factory if they can do the PBG-2 shape as a carved top. So, basically, it would be our "slightly redesigned" LP kit. Given the language barrier and the propensity for the Chinese to say "Yes" to everything, it's taking some time.

Question is, why would people buy this, when they can get an accurate LP kit from the many suppliers who don't seem to be concerned (GaF) that they are infringing a registered Trademark?

Dedman
17-02-2019, 06:40 PM
I really like PBG-2. I'm sorry I put off getting one for so long, its a bit smaller and lighter than an LP, very comfy to play.

Andy123
17-02-2019, 08:51 PM
It has a similar appeal to a LP but it's definitely it's own design. I'd be reluctant to consider it (or market it for that matter) as a LP substitute. If anything it looks more like a music man.

Why would anyone buy it when they could get a LP kit elsewhere? Because it's a cool looking guitar in its own right.

On that note, if no one else is in hot water over selling LP kits, it might be worth approaching Gibson and asking under what conditions they'd let you sell them.

Mr.Drifter
23-02-2019, 11:23 AM
If others are infringing, but haven't been pulled up for it, it might not be that much of an issue.

That and you could definitely do the shape, but with a slightly different horn, and body shape or so. Give them that 10% difference they desire

Andyxlh
24-02-2019, 05:06 PM
I have my PBG2 kit - with gold hardware - sitting on the shelf waiting for me to start on it. It is lighter, has a 2 octave neck and a more contoured comfy body than a les paul. I'm looking forward to getting started on it, but not until i have the JB4A finished!

Mr.Drifter
24-02-2019, 10:52 PM
Personally I just can't dig them. Something about them feels off. Might be a bit more material on one side/ not symmetrical around the big round bit at the base, which just throws me off.
I'm not huge on the offset/ odd shaped guitars. Though the jazz masters are growing on me a lot, as are the explorers (as much as I do find them somewhat uncomfortable, whilst comfortable. Very odd relationship)