PDA

View Full Version : New Look Site

adam
24-04-2018, 03:14 PM
Ok, the new look site is live; Press Ctrl F5 to refresh your browser if it does not show the new layout.

Please have a look through if you have the time and do let us know here if you find any issues, or have feedback (positive or negative).

If you can think of a better layout for menus, or think something is missing... let us know here.

As you can see, we've featured some of the GOTY entries in the Home Page slider. I will try and keep this fairly fresh and feature new, completed builds, and mix up the kit styles.

As mentioned before, there's always issues with a changeover, so please bear with us while we address these.

One issue: If you placed an order between the 17th and today, it will be missing. Rest assured, we have it and, it if it hasn't been shipped yet, it will be, or the kit will be on backorder.

While the Site looks different (hopefully an improvement), much of the upgrade is in the back end, so it should be faster and more responsive.

Down the track, we will have more options for Product Bundles, Upgrades, and Recommended Add-ons.

Hope you like the new look.

Simon Barden
24-04-2018, 04:00 PM
Looks good, Adam, and it does load faster.

Andy40
24-04-2018, 04:34 PM
Pretty profesh mate.

Dedman
24-04-2018, 04:38 PM
Defiantly loads quicker for me. Looks swish, I was reaching for my wallet before I knew it. :D

Rabbitz
24-04-2018, 04:44 PM
Looks good.

One 'exception' for me - on the tools page none of the images for the BABICZ items are visible.

cork sniffer
24-04-2018, 04:52 PM
I like it and I'm an old bloke who usually resists change so it must actually be FANTASTIC ;)

adam
24-04-2018, 05:01 PM
Looks good.

One 'exception' for me - on the tools page none of the images for the BABICZ items are visible.

Thanks Rabbitz, you just found an error. Those Babicz items and the other items on that page should be in Spare Parts, not Tools.

No, we don't have pics for the babicz spare parts... it's been on my To Do List for a few months... ok over 12 months.

wazkelly
24-04-2018, 07:07 PM
Looks great Adam and much easier to use and navigate.

Mr.Drifter
25-04-2018, 01:25 AM
Damn that looks good. Nice job man.
Loving pretty much everything about it. The home page just looks awesome. And all the pages are pretty fresh, which I like.
Looking at it again, my only gripe is the guitars shown on the homepage slider are zoomed in too much because of the width of the slider (had a bit of a battle with that myself on my own site, good fun). You could get around it by pushing a white or black border or something around the picture to make it wider, and fit into the frame nicely, which would get the whole guitar in the picture, and looking shmick.

I feel like ideally for new kits that come out, do a fancy shoot with a black background like the first guitar shown on the homepage has. Then show that on a small slider down the bottom for 'new kits', so the whole front page has some fancy looking shots kinda thing. Then when you go to the listing, have the normal shots. More work, but makes those teasers look delicious

VonScott
25-04-2018, 08:56 AM
Great improvement Adam, it loads nice n quick too!

Fretworn
25-04-2018, 09:10 AM
It got a "wow" out of me.

FrankenWashie
25-04-2018, 09:24 AM
Very swish, I must keep igor away from it.

Sonic Mountain
25-04-2018, 11:14 AM
Very late to this party, but yeah as others have said it looks great and definitely loads faster.

adam
25-04-2018, 04:39 PM
Damn that looks good. Nice job man.
Loving pretty much everything about it. The home page just looks awesome. And all the pages are pretty fresh, which I like.
Looking at it again, my only gripe is the guitars shown on the homepage slider are zoomed in too much because of the width of the slider (had a bit of a battle with that myself on my own site, good fun). You could get around it by pushing a white or black border or something around the picture to make it wider, and fit into the frame nicely, which would get the whole guitar in the picture, and looking shmick.

I feel like ideally for new kits that come out, do a fancy shoot with a black background like the first guitar shown on the homepage has. Then show that on a small slider down the bottom for 'new kits', so the whole front page has some fancy looking shots kinda thing. Then when you go to the listing, have the normal shots. More work, but makes those teasers look delicious

Thanks for the feedback Mr Drifter... I was being a bit "Arty" by zooming in on some of the images... plus I had to so the text would be readable.

Good idea about the new kits shot on a black background... but yes, that is a lot more work for yours truly. I think it might be worth the effort though.

I've seen other companies do "Mock Up" (partly assembled) shots on a black background and that does look good.

Mr.Drifter
25-04-2018, 06:40 PM
I wonder if it'd be worth adding a 'what members of the community have done with this guitar' to the kit area, then with a few pics from the forums of finished guitars of that kit, so somebody can see the potential they have, if they haven't already. Whether it's from somebody just putting it together, or somebody going absolutely ham and modding the tits off it.
Again, more work, but another area that could give people ideas and go 'oof'

DrNomis_44
26-04-2018, 12:02 PM
Love the look of the new webpage, looks cool.

Rabbitz
26-04-2018, 05:02 PM
Glad to be of service...

adam
28-04-2018, 01:20 PM
I wonder if it'd be worth adding a 'what members of the community have done with this guitar' to the kit area, then with a few pics from the forums of finished guitars of that kit, so somebody can see the potential they have, if they haven't already. Whether it's from somebody just putting it together, or somebody going absolutely ham and modding the tits off it.
Again, more work, but another area that could give people ideas and go 'oof'

Yep, we have this on the list and just working out the best way to do it.

The "Wish List" is very long.

Andy123
28-04-2018, 11:43 PM
From the home page everything looks in order, but if you click on on any other page and scroll to the bottom, thing are a bit all over the place. There are headings for sections of the site with links underneath them that don't match. For example, the heading for the Babicz stuff lists strings and a pick up. Guitar of the Month lists a bunch of Floyd Rose trems.

chrissyinbkk
29-04-2018, 03:32 AM
From the home page everything looks in order, but if you click on on any other page and scroll to the bottom, thing are a bit all over the place. There are headings for sections of the site with links underneath them that don't match. For example, the heading for the Babicz stuff lists strings and a pick up. Guitar of the Month lists a bunch of Floyd Rose trems.

Looks ok to me using Chrome as the browser....

Andy123
29-04-2018, 04:23 AM
Here's what I see at the bottom of one of the kit pages. Win10, Chrome browser:

Simon Barden
29-04-2018, 05:04 AM
Yes, I get that too, Win 10 and Firefox.

You don't have to look far, first kit on the ST list.

https://www.pitbullguitars.com/shop/guitars/pit-bull-guitars-gs-2q-electric-guitar-kit-ebony-fretboard/

adam
29-04-2018, 08:01 AM
Thanks for picking this up, I'll get the lads onto this on Monday. I really don't have any Jumpsuits in stock, I'd hate for some to be disappointed.

Rabbitz
29-04-2018, 01:22 PM
C'mon Adam! What's Glam Rock without a jumpsuit!!!!

:cool:

chrissyinbkk
29-04-2018, 01:38 PM
Yes, I get that too, Win 10 and Firefox.

You don't have to look far, first kit on the ST list.

https://www.pitbullguitars.com/shop/guitars/pit-bull-guitars-gs-2q-electric-guitar-kit-ebony-fretboard/

Must be windows 10 then...works fine with 7.... not checked on my newer computer running 10

Andy123
29-04-2018, 01:42 PM
I was bang up for the $1 test kit. Right within my budget!

Simon Barden
29-04-2018, 06:44 PM
Must be windows 10 then...works fine with 7.... not checked on my newer computer running 10

Have you scrolled all the way to the bottom of the page?

chrissyinbkk
30-04-2018, 03:01 AM
Have you scrolled all the way to the bottom of the page?

yep, ok for me...its these modern computers you are all using.... stick with the old guns...

Simon Barden
30-04-2018, 03:26 PM
My PC is 10 years old!

Andyxlh
01-05-2018, 05:24 PM
I'm still disappointed about the news on the jumpsuits ☹️

adam
02-05-2018, 05:07 PM
Further to Mr Drifter's (and others) comments, about black background "glamour shots", I've been playing around with the Black Background look.

One issue we've got is that our new Theme is set up for Portrait photos (for mobile viewing), not the landscape photos we have been using.

I had a crack at an ES-1 in Portrait on a Black background.

Let me know what you think, Mr Drifter and others.

Still need to play around with lighting and stuff, but what do you think about the layout.

I did try a Mock build shot and it looked terrible.

Simon Barden
02-05-2018, 06:07 PM
For me it makes it a lot harder to see the parts for that all-in-one style photo. Might work on bodies only and maple necks, but less sure about it with Blackwood necks.

Dedman
02-05-2018, 07:08 PM
if you knock the contrast back quite a bit the black will work. My monitor is calibrated a bit darker than most peoples , this looks pretty good on mine.

Simon Barden
02-05-2018, 07:19 PM
But then it almost looks B&W, well on my screen it does.

Mr.Drifter
02-05-2018, 08:44 PM
I think that looks pretty rad in the original. Doesn't need much changing on my screen

Sonic Mountain
03-05-2018, 06:19 AM
It'll be tricky to light well and not have some kind of light bounce off the black. I think the white backgrounded stuff looks fine.

Fretworn
03-05-2018, 08:34 AM
I think is will be easier for customers to see with a light background. Especially for people using phones to access the site. The black swallows everything in smaller pictures.

adam
03-05-2018, 09:03 AM
Thanks guys, will keep having a play. I prefer the black for aesthetics, but the white works better for functionality.

adam
03-05-2018, 03:51 PM
This works.

I like this so much it's going on the home page slider. I think it was a mistake to not have a Kit as the first image people see... as much as I love Simon's Green IB-7.

Mr.Drifter
03-05-2018, 04:46 PM
Oh damn, that is nice. That's really nice

FrankenWashie
04-05-2018, 07:37 PM
I just found the Wishlist feature....that’s a terrible enabler tool Adam. Igor is cackling in the back of the lab and furiously scribbling build notes.

DarkMark
04-05-2018, 08:01 PM
Typo in P90 dog ear neck pickups. Pickups described as bridge pickups.

FrankenWashie
04-05-2018, 08:10 PM
When you click the bodies link under the spare necks...it takes you back to necks.

Dedman
04-05-2018, 09:32 PM
Strat size case dimensions and descriptions are for a different case

Simon Barden
04-05-2018, 09:49 PM
If I click on 'DIY KITS' from the main page, without choosing any of the sub-options, then on the page that comes up with the title:

Which you can click on (easy enough to do by accident) which then brings up the above title as a separate image, when obviously nothing should happen.

Simon Barden
04-05-2018, 10:05 PM
The currency converter options are now only AUD, USD and EUR. My previous setting of GB £ was originally carried over, but I can no longer select £ again having selected AUD. So you've just alienated all the Brits who might have bought the kits. I know you can't have every single currency up there and the prices can all be converted by the viewer, but it is a retrograde step IMO. New viewers will only see the AUS$ price.

Also, I feel that having the currency converter buttons right at the bottom of the page is a mistake. It took me long enough to find, and I was looking for it. New viewers simply won't know it's there. Can they go back where it was, next to the kit price? It helps indicate to the overseas viewers that you are export-friendly, otherwise you may find your international orders sharply declining.

adam
06-05-2018, 03:51 PM
Thanks for finding these issues, there will be a few things to fix.

I've fixed the "Bodies" category, now it is "Necks", as we don;t do bodies anymore.

The Currency converter is an ongoing project. We are working on Geolocate, which may already be working. Simon, can you please confirm this is working now for the UK.

I'll fix the Unfinished Kits image link

Simon Barden
06-05-2018, 04:18 PM
Not yet, Adam. I did a Ctrl-F5 to force a refresh, but there's still only AUD, USD and EUR options.

adam
06-05-2018, 05:09 PM
Not yet, Adam. I did a Ctrl-F5 to force a refresh, but there's still only AUD, USD and EUR options.

Ok, Darren must still be working on it, but hopefully, when he gets it happening, it will detect where you are and display in your Currency (GBP), without our Australian GST (Tax). If we can get it working it will be amazing.

adam
06-05-2018, 05:11 PM

Hi DarkMark, I can't find this error, is it in the Benson pickups?

adam
06-05-2018, 05:14 PM
I just found the Wishlist feature....that’s a terrible enabler tool Adam. Igor is cackling in the back of the lab and furiously scribbling build notes.

I didn't even know we were getting a Wishlist function... cool. Must admit I've found this useful on other sites to save searching again. I wonder if we (admins) can see what has been wishlisted... I assume so.

Dedman
06-05-2018, 06:05 PM
Necks seem to have vanished

FrankenWashie
06-05-2018, 06:26 PM
I wonder if we (admins) can see what has been wishlisted... I assume so.

are you going to send us Christmas pressies?😁😜

wazkelly
06-05-2018, 07:02 PM
are you going to send us Christmas pressies?😁😜

We already get emails on our Birthdays but xmas pressies would be nice.

Simon Barden
07-05-2018, 10:14 PM
Three items on one page, not sure how widespread it is, but on https://www.pitbullguitars.com/shop/guitars/pit-bull-guitars-es-1gt-electric-guitar-kit/

1) If there is only one option on an upgrade option, e.g. tuner upgrade, then clicking on the option doesn't add it to your selection or alter the total price.

2) Where there are several options to an upgrade option e.g. bridge pickup upgrade, then after choosing one, clicking on the 'clear option' text doesn't clear the item. There is also some spurious text ( /*]]>*/ ) displaying just below the clear option text.

3) Where there are several options to an upgrade option, the initial highlighted option is not displayed as selected and adjusting the price. You have to select another option and then go back to the initial option to get it selected.

Grubsta
08-05-2018, 05:54 PM
Site looks great Adam much nicer look to it and easier to navigate.

Melkor
08-05-2018, 06:29 PM
Looks good with the black background! Very swish!

FrankenWashie
09-05-2018, 04:34 AM
I didn't even know we were getting a Wishlist function... cool. Must admit I've found this useful on other sites to save searching again. I wonder if we (admins) can see what has been wishlisted... I assume so.

I played with this a bit, it doesn’t seem to save the Wishlist to your account at all, if you add something to your Wishlist, you get a browse Wishlist button, but that Wishlist disappears when you close your session.

adam
09-05-2018, 06:31 AM
Three items on one page, not sure how widespread it is, but on https://www.pitbullguitars.com/shop/guitars/pit-bull-guitars-es-1gt-electric-guitar-kit/

1) If there is only one option on an upgrade option, e.g. tuner upgrade, then clicking on the option doesn't add it to your selection or alter the total price.

2) Where there are several options to an upgrade option e.g. bridge pickup upgrade, then after choosing one, clicking on the 'clear option' text doesn't clear the item. There is also some spurious text ( /*]=]=>*/ ) displaying just below the clear option text.

3) Where there are several options to an upgrade option, the initial highlighted option is not displayed as selected and adjusting the price. You have to select another option and then go back to the initial option to get it selected.

Yep, we discovered this yesterday so have turned these off for now, while we get it happening properly in the Test site. Quite a few issues to work on.

adam
09-05-2018, 06:32 AM
I played with this a bit, it doesn’t seem to save the Wishlist to your account at all, if you add something to your Wishlist, you get a browse Wishlist button, but that Wishlist disappears when you close your session.

Hey FrankenWashie, I'll ad this to the list of issues we will be working on this week. We'll get there.

adam
09-05-2018, 06:33 AM
Necks seem to have vanished

Should be back now

FrankenWashie
09-05-2018, 07:38 AM
Hey FrankenWashie, I'll ad this to the list of issues we will be working on this week. We'll get there.

Cool, that will allow me to plan out the number of hiding places required for all the kit boxes in advance! Excellent work Ads keep it up!