PDA

View Full Version : Treble bleed and volume taper issues

Seanb880
19-04-2018, 11:47 AM
Hi everyone,

A bit stumped and my google searches have brought up no help.

I'm able to finish off the Pitbull SV-1 shredder guitar and have put on one of those treble bleed options bought through the website.

I'm getting issues with the volume taper, where nothing happens with the sound lowering from round 10 till 4, then it decreases rapidly from 3 to 0.

Any ideas what i can try to fix this? I'm assuming it doesn't matter which way round you solder it to the volume pot?

Would have thought buying the mod through the website meant it would work on the pickups supplied... i guess maybe not?

Thanks for any help.

Andy40
19-04-2018, 02:56 PM
Sounds like you've got a Linear taper pot instead of an audio pot.
Easy fix, get an audio taper pot and put that one in:cool:

WeirdBits
19-04-2018, 03:12 PM
Some clear photos of the wiring would also help, as there are a few possible causes.

Sonic Mountain
19-04-2018, 03:13 PM
I'm getting issues with the volume taper, where nothing happens with the sound lowering from round 10 till 4, then it decreases rapidly from 3 to 0.

Any ideas what i can try to fix this? I'm assuming it doesn't matter which way round you solder it to the volume pot?

I am no expert at all, but I do know that it does matter which outer connection (of the three) you use. One will result in what you describe and one will result in the knob adjusting in a full sweep. I have done this myself, I always seem to get a bit turned around with potentiometer wiring.

It is also possible you have the wrong type of pot, liner vs logarithmic - Normally they have a label like A500K or A250K, and B500k or B250k. A are used for volume, B for tone. 500 for hum buckers and 250 for single coil.

That is just rule of thumb, in reality you can use either A or B for both pots and 500 and 250 for either style of pickup, but the output results will differ.

I wouldl try swapping the outer post connection first and see if that helps.

Edit- oh and Weirdbits is you friend here. I would follow his advice above everyone else :)

Seanb880
19-04-2018, 03:33 PM
Thanks everyone... i'll get some photos up.

wazkelly
19-04-2018, 09:03 PM
Sounds like you may have used the 'B' pot for the master volume instead of tone as they are usually linear and they tend to have that type of nothing, nothing, nothing, everything effect. Hence the reason why I always use Audio taper pots for everything as they are interchangeable and still provide a decent amount of tone control.

Cheers, Waz

Simon Barden
19-04-2018, 09:34 PM
Also sounds a bit like a reversed connection to the pot. But photos may reveal all.

wolfred
10-07-2018, 10:34 AM
Another consideration:-
I tried the Seymour Duncan option of cap and resistor in parallel, and that also gave me little volume drop until about 4 and then rapid volume drop, which I found good for violining volume swells.
More recently I tried the Kinman option of resistor, then cap in series, and that changed the taper to more normal, but still a satisfactory treble bleed.
It's only a few cents worth of components and worth a try as it's easily reversible.