PDA

View Full Version : KA 1210N Amp

dave.king1
28-03-2018, 12:03 PM
Just got given one of these that currently makes no sound, the fact that it is the guts only with no cab or speaker is not the problem.

It's solid state and apparently more than adequate for keys, bass & acoustic but not so good for guitar, no probs there as I already have four guitar amps of various sizes from bedroom to deafening.

Has anyone out there got a circuit diagram ( Marcel I'm looking in your direction ), if not I pull the useful bits such as the reverb tank for another project I have in mind

Branded SoundLab here in Oz and mine was used by one of the local high school's music department

Marcel
28-03-2018, 03:36 PM
Had a quick and unsuccessful hunt for a circuit Dave. All I did find was operator manuals for 10 Euro's each.

Seems in its hey-day it put out about 100W, and there were a few people using it for guitar clean tones.

If it has as you say nil 'guts' or speaker then you may as well rat it for parts, but if all the essentials are still there it may be worth taking in to someone for repair. A circuit certainly helps a lot but is not always needed by a competent tech to effect most repairs.

Half decent keyboard amps do sell for a premium...

dave.king1
28-03-2018, 04:17 PM
G'day Marcel,

It's just the guts my mate Scott got it from the local repair shop for very few dollars simply for the cabinet, I suspect that the repairer let it go for peanuts because of its Korean heritage making the labour to repair unprofitable.

I definitely don't need another 100W clean amp but have been mulling over a 15-20w valve amp with reverb and this thing has more than a dozen pots that may be usable and the reverb tank which really caught my eye.

Maybe an 18w Marshall clone or a Bassman but what I'd really like is a low wattage Twin which shouldn't be a massive challenge

Simon Barden
28-03-2018, 04:30 PM
I believe reverb tanks have different impedances depending on whether they are valve or solid state driven. So the tank might not be suitable if fitted in an all-valve circuit (though many circuits use a mixture of valves for the main signal path and solid state for reverb and effects loops etc.).

Marcel
28-03-2018, 07:28 PM
If it's just a cab and a bare bones chassis it sounds like a fun project to make a tube combo amp...

I'd agree with Simon on the reverb tank... it would be best to check the existing circuits driving the tank and then replicate something similar in your build. If that cant be done with confidence then a new tank of known qualities is probably the best way forward.

dave.king1
29-03-2018, 07:11 AM
It's just the chassis & guts Marcel, Scott wanted the cab for a little valve amp he has.

I had a look at the tank this morning, there is no brand to be seen but it's probably a Belton unit out of Korea or a Mod tank from China and it's 16 ohms in and 2.2K out which is not a million miles from a Twin @ 8 in and 225 out.

Still just plotting & planning and in reality the tank would probably be one of the cheapest items in any amp build so I'm not getting carried away by this one