PDA

View Full Version : Strat Output Jack Installation Trick?

CascadiaGuitarGeek
14-03-2018, 12:41 PM
So it seems every time I've tried to install a Strat type output jack I run into the same issue. When the jack plate is screwed into the body it crams the leads/wires into the cavity so tight that it cuts out the connection. If I remove the plate from the body and let it float with the cord plugged in everything works fine. I can fiddle with it for a while and find a position that works eventually but it is quite a pain in the butt.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any words of wisdom on what I am doing wrong, or if you have any tips/tricks on how to install it so it works the first time.

king casey
14-03-2018, 02:43 PM
Having done a couple of these lately, all I'd suggest is to keep the wires fairly short.

cheers, Mark.

Simon Barden
14-03-2018, 04:35 PM
All I can say is to rotate the tip connector (the longest spring arm) so that it lies at the bottom of the cavity before tightening the nut on the output socket. Then push most of the wire back into the control cavity before fitting the jack plate and you should be fine.

http://youtu.be/3BMBLNCus5w?t=1m43s

WeirdBits
14-03-2018, 07:47 PM
And, if you have copper shielding in the cavity, make sure the tip arm isn't shorting against the sheilding when a plug is inserted.

CascadiaGuitarGeek
14-03-2018, 11:59 PM
Thanks for the input everyone. I'll definitely try to minimize the amount of slack I have on the wires from now on, hopefully keeping enough length to be able to maneuver the pickguard without too much trouble. I'll also be more mindful of where I have the long lead from the jack and I already like to add some electrical tape over the shielding just to provide a little barrier just in case there is some contact.

I just thought I should see if I'm missing something since it's happened to me three times now where if I have the screws tight it won't work, but if I loosen the bottom screw off then I have sound.