PDA

View Full Version : Popping the grain on an ash body without it looking "dirty"

Derek82
04-03-2018, 11:25 AM
Natural Ash tele. Tru oil finish. I'd like to get thoughts from those who love naturally finished teles or ash guitars in general.

To grain fill with a neutral or brown grain filler, or to use something like birchwood casey sealer then tru oil and wet sand etc.

Does anyone have favorite finishes in pics or completed protects or the like? I'd love to see what everyone else was into. Even if it's not a tele. Anything with a natural ash looking finish would be cool.

Cheers,

Derek.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Marcel
04-03-2018, 01:24 PM
Many many moons ago during a time that most would prefer to forget I found a Ash body Strat partscaster that needed a coat or three of protection.... Silly me hit it and the headstock with 'Golden Oak' furniture wood stain from Wattyl and then covered it over with a few coats of gloss wipe on poly from Minwax.

It didn't turn out too bad in the end, and the Fender Tex-Mex PU's certainly helped with the tone ... but thinking about it now I must remember to go back and re-shape the neck as it's way too fat for my liking ...

Andy40
04-03-2018, 02:08 PM
This is my American white ash semi-scratch Tele. I popped the grain with Walnut timbermate then stained with colourless dingotone.:cool:

Derek82
04-03-2018, 02:32 PM
Many many moons ago during a time that most would prefer to forget I found a Ash body Strat partscaster that needed a coat or three of protection.... Silly me hit it and the headstock with 'Golden Oak' furniture wood stain from Wattyl and then covered it over with a few coats of gloss wipe on poly from Minwax.

It didn't turn out too bad in the end, and the Fender Tex-Mex PU's certainly helped with the tone ... but thinking about it now I must remember to go back and re-shape the neck as it's way too fat for my liking ...That's really nice! It's like butterscotch but better! Thanks for sharing!

Derek82
04-03-2018, 02:45 PM
This is my American white ash semi-scratch Tele. I popped the grain with Walnut timbermate then stained with colourless dingotone.:cool:Ahhh! I was looking for this build in the my build diary. I couldn't find it because it was a semi scratch build! How does colourless dingotone differ from tru oil effort and time wise?

wazkelly
04-03-2018, 05:10 PM
This is how Ash with Tru Oil would most likely turn out as TO adds a slighter amber yellow tinge.

Don't think MM grain fill anything as that pic has retained a very subtle natural grain definition. Ebony Timber mate used as a grain filler is quite dramatic and if using black hardware or scratch plate that would tie it all together. Timbermate comes in many colours and plenty in warmer earthy tones if that is your preference.

Cheers, Waz

Derek82
05-03-2018, 04:25 PM
So.... After seeing Andy's tele build. Dingotone finish would be better than tru oil to achieve something close to this?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180305/bbb16a198f273e135f8e8e2bbc6c7446.jpg

Simon Barden
05-03-2018, 04:38 PM
I'd say yes. Tru-Oil won't make it as dark/amber as the MM in Waz's photos (that would be done with a tinted lacquer) but a bit darker/more yellow than the Tele above.

If you've ever looked at a used Tru-Oil bottle, you'll see small lumps of dried Tru-Oil around the screw thread. These are quite amber. So the thicker the Tru-Oil finish, the more amber it's going to look. A couple of applications will be almost clear and you won't notice any appreciable darkening, though you won't get much protection from the finish and it certainly won't be shiny.

Of course there are clear lacquer spray options as well.