PDA

View Full Version : GPB-4B vs PBA-4

trit
21-02-2018, 07:28 AM
Are there any differences I am missing between these kits (aside from the 2-piece body and PBA-4 upgradability)? Thanks.

https://www.pitbullguitars.com/shop/guitars/gpb-4b-electric-bass-guitar-kit-ash-body/

https://www.pitbullguitars.com/shop/guitars/pit-bull-guitars-pba-4-electric-bass-guitar-kit-ash-body/

Sonic Mountain
21-02-2018, 08:02 AM
Pretty sure the GPB is from a newer supplier, it has a two piece body rather than 4 and may be slightly better quality (haven't physically seen one so not sure)

Someone else might know a bit more....

trit
21-02-2018, 08:57 AM
Thanks. I had assumed as much. Both seem fairly idiot-proofed. But, of course, they haven't met me! :p

wazkelly
21-02-2018, 07:14 PM
Go for the 2 piece body as invariably the standard multi piece ones will have a strip that doesn't quite match the rest. This can sometimes also mean different timber colours of the same species where multi pieces have been used.

trit
22-02-2018, 04:49 AM
Cheers for that.

fender3x
25-02-2018, 08:27 AM
I keep hoping there will be jazz style necks... Not yet, eh?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Magoo
27-11-2019, 09:47 AM
I was curious also, but went for the GPB-4B
Now looking at both, see that the PBA-4 has been routered differently
I guess to allow for bigger pots ?

Simon Barden
27-11-2019, 03:41 PM
I suspect they just come from different factories and they use different routing templates. The GPB-4B has a more consistent rout width, the PBA-4 rout is generally narrower but widened where the pots and output jack go.

But the pots supplied with both kits will be mini-pots. I expect that the loaded pickguards are probably supplied to both factories by the same supplier. But I think you should be able to fit standard-size replacement pots into both kits . If not, it's only a few minutes work with a Dremel drum sander to widen the rout where the pots are. A lot will depend on how the pickguard is positioned. With the smaller pots, you've got more opportunity to end up with the pot holes slightly offset in the rout, which could make fitting larger pots awkward as there's generally not a lot of extra width in the rout for a standard-sized pot (even on a Fender). But the pickguard is pretty wide, so you can easily widen the rout yourself if necessary without anything showing.

Magoo
27-11-2019, 06:07 PM
Cheers Simon