PDA

View Full Version : Decals using Laserjet & clear packing tape.

enikoy
14-02-2018, 09:23 AM
Not sure if this has been posted before (couldn't find in a quick search).

This guy and some others are making decals using Laserjet & clear packing tape. I have tested it myself and the result was great just using an MS Word font, home laser printer and Norton Bear tape. Actually stunned how crisp and solid the print comes off the paper and the clarity of the tape. I applied it on my ES3 poly finished headstock, and it slid about like a waterslide for positioning.

Looks great at the moment but long term you would want to put a coat of poly over the top. And I'd want to test how the tape and poly interact before that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-63xsQqR7w

blinddrew
13-05-2018, 01:39 AM
Going to give that a go.

blinddrew
13-05-2018, 01:55 AM
Well that didn't work. Not sure if I have the wrong kind of printer or wrong kind of tape but the ink stayed firmly in the paper and not on the tape at all. Ho hum.

Dedman
13-05-2018, 07:08 AM
I've tried it and it worked for me

cork sniffer
13-05-2018, 09:58 AM
I've tried it and it worked for me

Did you use ink jet or laser printer?

FrankenWashie
13-05-2018, 10:39 AM
I think we are all just a little bit Guitarded, some of us more so than others😜😂

Dedman
13-05-2018, 12:02 PM
Laser, as soon as it came out of the printer I put the tape over it. I've also printed onto grease proof kitchen paper and ironed it onto the timber.

blinddrew
13-05-2018, 08:18 PM
I was using an inkjet, will sneak it into work and use a laser there and see what happens. :)

ChefBrianNYC
14-05-2018, 12:39 AM
Print on waxed paper or the slippery backing of a sticker sheet. The ink will not really set. Just tried this on my build with mixed results and went with a clear window decal from staples. Only complaint is that it's a little thick.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Dedman
14-05-2018, 05:06 AM
Print on waxed paper or the slippery backing of a sticker sheet. The ink will not really set.

The idea with using waxed paper is you print it in reverse then use a hot iron on the other side to transfer the ink onto the wood. The smoother the wood the better details. I've done a lot head stocks this way.

ChefBrianNYC
14-05-2018, 05:18 AM
That's Cool! I tried the modge podge way but it was a disaster. Definitely going to try that iron trick because that sounds awesome

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Dedman
14-05-2018, 12:03 PM
I'll be doing a head stock tomorrow, will try to remember to take photos

blinddrew
17-05-2018, 04:59 AM
So tried a quick go using the laserjet at work and that works, but I will need to get some clearer tape when I do it properly, the stuff I have has come off a little cloudy - though I guess that could be down to the paper. Might try it on some photo paper to see what that does.