PDA

View Full Version : VOX, The early beginnings....

wazkelly
12-02-2018, 06:33 PM
Interesting video on the history of VOX and where it all began.

http://youtu.be/oQud4emaSek

DrNomis_44
12-02-2018, 06:48 PM
Seen that a few times, it's quite inspirational and without Vox and their Vox AC15 and AC30 amps I reckon that the early British Invasion would have been a lot different, The Beatles would have sounded a bit different too, one of my life's dreams is to own a Vox AC30 amp.

dave.king1
12-02-2018, 06:50 PM
The first production amp I played through was and AC-30 in 1964.

The amp belonged to a mate of mine in a Sydney band called Rubber Band and was used by the bass player in the Delawares ( Dennis Williams band ) when the did the session work for the Bee Gees on the singles Peace Of Mind and Claustrophobia

Fabulous amp that Kevin sold many years ago but he still has the P Bass that he owned back then.

wazkelly
12-02-2018, 06:56 PM
Can you imagine what the Beatles may have sound like if they were backed by Marshall instead?

DrNomis_44
12-02-2018, 06:59 PM
Wow...that's cool, I wouldn't mind having a go at building an AC30 if I could get all the parts and materials together, yeah they are great amps, the local Darwin Uni's music department has one and I've played through it, was a bit hard to get a good sound out of it and it was actually playing-up when I was playing through it, it definitely needed some servicing, the Uni's music department also had a 45 Watt Mesa/Boogie Nomad amp which was horrible sounding, it was really hard to get any decent sounds out of the Nomad cause it would sound either very clinically clean with no character to it, or very high-gainy and farty with way too much bass.

wazkelly
12-02-2018, 07:02 PM
Hey Doc, maybe Marcel can help you out as I think he has made a VOX clone.

Marcel
12-02-2018, 09:26 PM
Hey Doc, maybe Marcel can help you out as I think he has made a VOX clone.

My AC18W build is based around a mix of the circuits with tremolo from the late '60's and mid '80's VOX AC15's, however I used a Marshall 18W output transformer with Marshall power and HT filtering and have biased the EL84's way cooler than what Marshal or VOX typically do. In all honesty my build through my 2x12 cab sonically sounds more like a clean Fender amp than any VOX or Marshall that I've ever known yet with the gain control pushed past 5 it will dirty up beautifully just like any VOX will... There is two clips on soundcloud where the gain control is at 10 and with nil pedals demo the OD of both the denim Tele and a SD rails loaded Strat

I'm still toying as to weather I mod this AC18W to early '60's VOX AC15 style to include a EF86 input tube or should I just lash out and build a whole new EF86/12AX7/EL84 noise assistance box .... I really need to get someone who knows how to play guitar well to help me decide ....

DrNomis_44
13-02-2018, 01:54 PM
It's interesting to note that in the video they said that Dick Denney created the Fuzztone that was used on "Satisfaction" by the Rolling Stones, in fact the actual Fuzz pedal that Keith Richards used on that song was a Gibson Maestro FZ-1 Fuzztone pedal, one of the very first Fuzz pedals.

wazkelly
13-02-2018, 02:19 PM
It's interesting to note that in the video they said that Dick Denney created the Fuzztone that was used on "Satisfaction" by the Rolling Stones, in fact the actual Fuzz pedal that Keith Richards used on that song was a Gibson Maestro FZ-1 Fuzztone pedal, one of the very first Fuzz pedals.Yeah, i was a bit sceptical about that too and reckon the presenter tried to link the two together.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk