PDA

View Full Version : Entwistle Bass Pups

METAL Rulez 4ever
12-02-2018, 05:31 PM
Hi all,

Just wondering with the Entwistle Bass Pickups, I noticed you can adjust the height of the actual magnets with a jewelers screwdriver. What happens if you screw the magnets either up or down instead of adjusting the actually pickups screws? This might sound like a silly question, but interested in these pickups and never tampered with the magnets themselves.

Regards,
Naim.

wazkelly
12-02-2018, 06:50 PM
Hi Naim, I have a pair installed in my J Bass with the Neodymium magnets and they sound great and do have much more output than the stock chinese kit ones. They stand quite tall and I had to chisel out a bit in the PUP cavities to make them fit low enough under the strings plus the screw lugs are in a slightly different position that requires that part of the body to be enlarged also.

The screws can be adjusted a little bit but not enough to truly make much difference. On one of mine I accidently screwed a pole in too deep and the screw fell down inside??? Ended up removing the PUP, took off the cover, and retrieved the screw which was then fed delicately back in place from the top with cover already in place.

Tend to think they serve more of a decorative function than anything else. Unlike on a Humbucker where raising or lowering the screw poles can help to shape your sound to a certain degree.

Most guys seem to install Toneriders which have the traditional fixed pole pieces.

About 35 years ago I dropped a cream Di Marzio Bridge J PUP in an Ibanez P J hybrid copy which had the allen key adjustable poles and they do work properly. Here is a shot of what they currently offer plus the hyperlink....http://www.dimarzio.com/node/2126

Cheers, Waz

Here is the link to my sound demo video ...

http://youtu.be/zCzEjpZdfC0

Simon Barden
12-02-2018, 07:22 PM
The adjustment is there to allow you to balance string outputs. If it sounds OK to start with then don't bother, but if one string sounds particularly weak, then you have the option of raising the pole pieces up on that string, and if that's still not enough, down on the other strings to get the best balance you can.

On a P-bass pickup, you can adjust the height of each end of the split pickups to achieve the same result.

Of course, any major imbalance is quite likely to be down to a duff string or the way the saddles are set up rather than the pickups.

As Waz says, the Entwhistles don't appear to be set up to allow a huge adjustment range, so be careful if you try it, Wind upwards, rather than downwards if possible.

METAL Rulez 4ever
12-02-2018, 07:22 PM
Hi Naim, I have a pair installed in my J Bass with the Neodymium magnets and they sound great and do have much more output than the stock chinese kit ones. They stand quite tall and I had to chisel out a bit in the PUP cavities to make them fit low enough under the strings plus the screw lugs are in a slightly different position that requires that part of the body to be enlarged also.

The screws can be adjusted a little bit but not enough to truly make much difference. On one of mine I accidently screwed a pole in too deep and the screw fell down inside??? Ended up removing the PUP, took off the cover, and retrieved the screw which was then fed delicately back in place from the top with cover already in place.

Tend to think they serve more of a decorative function than anything else. Unlike on a Humbucker where raising or lowering the screw poles can help to shape your sound to a certain degree.

Most guys seem to install Toneriders which have the traditional fixed pole pieces.

About 35 years ago I dropped a cream Di Marzio Bridge J PUP in an Ibanez P J hybrid copy which had the allen key adjustable poles and they do work properly. Here is a shot of what they currently offer plus the hyperlink....http://www.dimarzio.com/node/2126

Cheers, Waz

Here is the link to my sound demo video ...

http://youtu.be/zCzEjpZdfC0

Thank you Waz for your info and video, very informative and helpful. Love the versatility in sounds between the bridge and neck pups. I will invest in them for sure.

Loved hearing the bass riffs to Dancing In The Moonlight (Lynott is God) and Sure Know Something. Legendary bass songs !!!

Regards,
Naim

METAL Rulez 4ever
12-02-2018, 07:26 PM
The adjustment is there to allow you to balance string outputs. If it sounds OK to start with then don't bother, but if one string sounds particularly weak, then you have the option of raising the pole pieces up on that string, and if that's still not enough, down on the other strings to get the best balance you can.

On a P-bass pickup, you can adjust the height of each end of the split pickups to achieve the same result.

Of course, any major imbalance is quite likely to be down to a duff string or the way the saddles are set up rather than the pickups.

As Waz says, the Entwhistles don't appear to be set up to allow a huge adjustment range, so be careful if you try it, Wind upwards, rather than downwards if possible.

Thank you Simon, Thats a real help if you can adjust the volume so to speak of each string so you dont get that booming E string over the high strings.

Regards,
Naim.