PDA

View Full Version : Tonerider Split Coil wiring gremlin

wazkelly
04-02-2018, 11:38 AM
Split Coil wiring gremlin

Has anyone had a coil stop working on a Tonerider humbucker?

Wired up my EX-1 with 2 Bourns mini 500k A push/pulls and it was working like a charm. Sadly it had been left in its case for over a year and when dragged out one day around xmas I found that bridge PUP was only operating on one coil and the push/pull no longer working?

Initially I thought it may be a faulty switch but when running a multi meter over the wires I get 4.22k reading across red & black which is for the north slug coil but nothing but "1" across green & white for the south screw coil? Bridge PUP is rated at 8.3k so 4.22k for one coil is about right.

Checked this out on a spare 4 wire humbucker and there should be same reading on opposing coils.

Looking forward to some expert replies before I rip out the PUP and send back under their 5 year warranty for a replacement.

WeirdBits
04-02-2018, 12:31 PM
Are you testing it still wired to the push/pull? If possible, test the switching on the spare pole of the push/pull to see if it has maybe failed locked in the 'up' position.

wazkelly
04-02-2018, 01:04 PM
Are you testing it still wired to the push/pull? If possible, test the switching on the spare pole of the push/pull to see if it has maybe failed locked in the 'up' position.Hi Scott, i have removed all wires from the switch and tested across them in isolation. That way thought i could narrow down where the problem might be?
Got a spare new switch and can run some tests on it and compare to existing one. Just in the middle of another soldering job and should be done in about 10 mins.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

wazkelly
04-02-2018, 01:30 PM
Hi Scott, i have removed all wires from the switch and tested across them in isolation. That way thought i could narrow down where the problem might be?
Got a spare new switch and can run some tests on it and compare to existing one. Just in the middle of another soldering job and should be done in about 10 mins.

Sent from my SM-A520F using TapatalkOther than ohm differences spare new push/pull pot reads the same across all lugs when compared to one installed in guitar, and that is when switch raised and lowered.

WeirdBits
04-02-2018, 01:48 PM
So, with the pickup disconnected completely the green/white pair is giving no reading/open circuit (1 or out of range), or is that a fluctuating 1 ohm reading you're seeing?

Double-check with a higher range on the multimeter, but it is looking like the coil may be open circuit. From memory, I think Toneriders have the fabric tape obscuring the pickup lead to the coil wire connections, so you probably won't be able to see any fault without tearing it apart.

wazkelly
04-02-2018, 03:15 PM
So, with the pickup disconnected completely the green/white pair is giving no reading/open circuit (1 or out of range), or is that a fluctuating 1 ohm reading you're seeing?

Double-check with a higher range on the multimeter, but it is looking like the coil may be open circuit. From memory, I think Toneriders have the fabric tape obscuring the pickup lead to the coil wire connections, so you probably won't be able to see any fault without tearing it apart.Hi Scott, with multi meter set at 200k I get 4.1 and on 20k it reads 4.22 for red & black. At 2M it reads 0.003 but 1 at 2k.
White & green on same settings reads just 1.

wazkelly
04-02-2018, 03:17 PM
Hi Scott, with multi meter set at 200k I get 4.1 and on 20k it reads 4.22 for red & black. At 2M it reads 0.003 but 1 at 2k.
White & green on same settings reads just 1.

Sent from my SM-A520F using TapatalkStrange thing is the guitar has just been stored in its case under a bed for about 12 months. Last time it was played, everything worked fine?

wazkelly
06-02-2018, 10:33 AM
Gotta say a big thank you to Adam at Pit Bull Guitars. Their Customer Service is the Best in the business.

Emailed him late yesterday and he responded very quickly with a replacement PUP to be despatched later this week.

Thanks again Adam, you're awesome.

WeirdBits
06-02-2018, 10:41 AM
Excellent.