PDA

View Full Version : Nut Files

churchie
23-01-2018, 06:09 AM
I think I can predict the answer here but will ask anyway.

I have purchased a new bone nut for one of my builds. It is pre slotted but the slots are shallow and will need deepening.

So what nut slotting files are best?

Decent ones are expensive - especially for casual users. I have used Hosco double sided ones before, which were very easy and nice to use.

There are similar knockoffs on eBay, which I’m sure are inferior. Also there are a lot of cheap welding tip cleaners sold as nut files.

So what does everyone use, and what should I get?

pablopepper
23-01-2018, 06:48 AM
I picked up this kit a couple of years ago and it's done me quite well
https://www.wish.com/c/5953c567630ad371b52cfe93

Not high quality by any means, but they're cheap and far better than a set of welding tip cleaners. Mind you, I got this set on Ebay for almost double what it's available on Wish for.

vh2580
23-01-2018, 09:41 AM
Just saw these while looking at something out of another thread. Not sure what quality is like
http://www.sydneyguitarsetups.com/nut-file-kit-sydney-guitar-setups-australia

king casey
23-01-2018, 10:12 AM
If you are prepared to wait for the post you can get it for slightly less....

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Guitar-Setup-Kit-Nut-files-String-Ruler-Action-Guage-Tools-W-Pouch-Useful/172177285192?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

cheers, Mark.

pablopepper
23-01-2018, 10:41 AM
Just saw these while looking at something out of another thread. Not sure what quality is like
http://www.sydneyguitarsetups.com/nut-file-kit-sydney-guitar-setups-australia

That's the same kit I've got with different coloured handles. It's fine, but available cheaper.

churchie
23-01-2018, 12:17 PM
Thanks team. Will give it a go. $25 much more palatable than $150.

If I get more into building /repairs I can always upgrade.

Marcel
23-01-2018, 12:55 PM
It took me a while to justify the cost but in the end I can honestly say they are worth it. The Stewmac gauged nut files are the business and give wonderful clean nut slots. If you are a bit 'ham fisted' the thinner ones are prone to breakage yet all will last a very long time if treated with respect.. At a little over $10 for each size a reasonably useful guitar set is within grasp.

http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Types_of_Tools/Files/Gauged_Nut_Slotting_File_Set_for_Electric_Guitar.h tml

It is worth noting that their "double edged nut file set" will do both guitar and bass....

Only real complaint is the slow freight. My last order from Stewmac took 6 weeks to get to me in regional Queensland.

Simon Barden
23-01-2018, 04:09 PM
Good quality nut files like the Hosco ones are the best, but they are expensive.

The double sided files work but will give you V shapes notches,not straight sides, to your slots. From a practical point of view I don't think it matters too much as the sides of the V are still steep slopes and so still provide a lot of resistance to the string coming out of the slot when you bend a string, though you might want to leave just slightly more depth to the slots than you would with straight sided slots when you subsequently file the top of the nut down. Aesthetically the wider (at the top) slots don't look quite as neat, so it is worth filing the top of the nut down as the slot width narrows the more you remove the excess height.

I had a set of those generic three-colour handled files before I invested in a set of 10 individual Hosco nut files, and the Hoscos are easier to use (though that still doesn't stop me from being an idiot and occasionally cutting a slot too deep).

One alternative that's an intermediate in cost between the generic double-sided files and the individual Hoscos is to order some nut files from Crimson Guitars. If you always use one gauge of strings, then you only need six of them, which should also cope with one gauge up or down. https://crimsonguitars.com/store/nut-slotting-file-blades/

My only word of caution with those is the time factor. As they are made to order, they will take quite a while to be made. I ordered a bass notched straight-edge and a 7.25" radius block from Crimson on 1st Jan as both items were shown as 'in stock' and I'm still waiting for them as they weren't in stock and have to be made.

The more guitars you build, or the more guitars that you end up setting up for other people, the more the investment in a really good set of nut files makes sense.

Overlander
23-01-2018, 06:27 PM
I'm sure I'll get heckled for this suggestion, and as a complete noob to the forum I'll willingly accept a flaming lol....

I had good success in doing the final shaping and getting the depth right on the nut of my first (bass) build using a drill bit of the correct size held in a pin vice....

I just measured string diameter with the verniers, then selected the closest - slightly larger drill bit to use.

I also used various other tools, including a really terrible cheap set of nut files, hacksaw blade and various shaped jewelers files, to remove the bulk of the material initially.....

But the drill bits worked perfectly to finish the slots off, creating a near perfect radius at the base of the slot.

The pin vice I had on hand (and was cheap at only around $10) and would cover from guitar up to bass strings no problems.

The drill bits were on hand and between the metric and imperial ones I managed to get drill bits very close the the string sizes.

Not saying this is a great solution, but it worked for me :)

Sent from my ZTE T84 using Tapatalk

Simon Barden
23-01-2018, 07:35 PM
Bass nuts are a bit different and TBH, I've never seen any nut files that were designed for bass (though I'm sure someone out there will be selling some). I've always just used a mixture of square and round needle files, and pick which part of the tapered end of the round file has the best diameter for the bottom of the string slot.

Drill bits are a great idea, no flaming required!

corsair5517
24-01-2018, 04:25 AM
Has anyone ever used torch cleaners for oxy-acetylene plants?? Before nut files were a 'thing' available to the general public - in NZ, at least - that's what we all used?? Anyone as old as me?? daveking??

chrissyinbkk
24-01-2018, 04:30 AM
Has anyone ever used torch cleaners for oxy-acetylene plants?? Before nut files were a 'thing' available to the general public - in NZ, at least - that's what we all used?? Anyone as old as me?? daveking??

We use the same thing as nozzle cleaners for our HP jets, I've never made a nut so shouldn't really comment but I would have thought the thinner ones would bend too easily, whereas the proper nut file you have the strength as it is used sideways on if you catch my drift...

corsair5517
24-01-2018, 04:35 AM
I didn't say it was easy... or even efficacious! You had to be very careful indeed with the skinny ones..

chrissyinbkk
24-01-2018, 04:46 AM
Some places do sell them as nut files.... like I said I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but would have thought it would take an age with these..

gronk
14-02-2018, 04:10 AM

I have used these and they work ok. The main problem is that the thinner ones are too flexible, which makes it harder to get a consistent depth across the slot. I recently bought a jewelers saw ($19) and I am now using a piece of guitar string to cut the slots for wound strings. It's a little slow, as the string is not very abrasive, but the bonus is that it cuts exactly the right size! :cool:

fender3x
13-01-2019, 10:59 PM
These are super cheap...and since so am I, I tried them for a bass.

I was prepared for them to have been a waste of cash, but they actually worked pretty well. You can get them for guitar or bass. Haven't tried them for guitar, and it may be that they are so thin that they would bend easily. But for bass, they seemed to work well. Aside from the price, the obvious advantage to them is that they are the same shape as a string rather than square or v-shapped.

They worked well enough for bass that I plan to get a set to try with a guitar nut. If we all live long enough for me to complete that project, I'll report on how it goes...

patrickparks1
26-04-2022, 12:03 PM
I ordered this set of bass nut files from Amazon. About $40 and they did the job nicely.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08JGDN2V2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had been planning on getting the music nomad bass nut files, but decided that I wasn't doing enough guitars to justify the cost.
https://www.amazon.com/MusicNomad-MN673-Diamond-Slotting-Storage/dp/B09BSZKQT5/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1B0X6A5YPJLPR&keywords=music+nomad+bass+nut+files&qid=1650945769&s=musical-instruments&sprefix=music+nomad+bass+nut+files%2Cmi%2C70&sr=1-5

jarro_2783
26-04-2022, 03:39 PM
Ooh that's a nice find if they work. I've been looking around for some myself, because the bass kit I ordered doesn't come prefiled. Good to know that they work ok.