PDA

View Full Version : Sound Demo of Lyn #15 - The Solid Body Nylon Acoustic

robin
20-01-2018, 06:41 AM
Hey guys and gals, sorry for my prolonged absence, but life, black dog, sad anniversaries, Christmas, blah, blah, blah, have slightly overwhelmed me.

Between guitar builds I have been trying to keep myself busy by recording my lastest guitar, the nylon string guitar with the under saddle piezo.

I guess I will never be totally happy with any of my recordings, but I have decided to draw a line under this one and call it finished.

The good news (for me at least) is I will be starting two new builds shortly so hopefully that will get me out of my funk, and I will be visiting the Forums more regularly. Looks like I have a lot of catching up to do.

So, if you want to waste 3 minutes and 48 seconds of your precious life, here it is. It is very creatively called Song 8.

https://soundcloud.com/user473075613

Cheers
rob

dave.king1
20-01-2018, 06:50 AM
Really nice tone you've got there Rob, well done and welcome back.

Taking the clubbie for a run with like minded individuals is very good for cleansing the mental health

robin
20-01-2018, 07:56 AM
Thanks Dave, the clubbie has been off the road for about a year now. i think that's part of my problem. I still intend to get her back on the road, but money and motivation are the 2 big factors.

FrankenWashie
20-01-2018, 10:36 AM
Super. Love your work Robin, it’s provided inspiration and drive for some of the FrankenLab experiments, I can’t wait to see what else you have planned!

WeirdBits
20-01-2018, 11:33 AM
Excellent Rob, much applause. 3:48 well spent.

Simon Barden
20-01-2018, 06:02 PM
I've only just returned after a similar absence for similar reasons. My sympathies. I too have another couple of builds, which will hopefully keep me cheered up and motivated.

Track sounds very nice. It's not 100% like a miked up classical guitar but it's a lot closer than all the piezo sounds from electro-classicals that I've heard to date. If you do another such recording, you could try miking up the fretboard and mixing a small amount of that in with the piezo sound. That should add in a little more realism - a bit of finger sound and some extra high frequencies from the strings. It's not something I've done myself, but it's something my producer friends recommend.

robin
21-01-2018, 03:59 PM
@Colin
Thanks mate.

@Frankie
Thanks mate, I must check through some old posts and see how the FrankenLab experiments have been progressing.

@Scott
Thanks mate, you are too kind.

For those interested in my next builds, I'm sorry to say they will both be quite ordinary and boring.

@Simon
Thanks Simon. As per usual your insights are always very helpful and most welcome.

I had done 2 separate recordings, one finger picked and the other played with a plectrum. I don't have fingernails (well I do but not the type for playing the guitar. lol) so when I finger-picked it had that dull, thuddy sound from the flesh of the finger tips and when I "Plectrumed" (I'm copyrighting that word) it was very bright and trebly. I did my best with EQ and compression to brighten up one and dull down the other so as to not make the difference too obvious. I obviously went a bit too far in the wrong direction.

Sorry to hear that you are having a bit of a struggle too mate. I hope you are back on top of things again. It's sometimes a very quick spiral down to the bottom but we both have lots of friends and support here, and once you start your builds I'm sure you will bounce back better than ever. Take care of yourself mate.

rob

dave.king1
21-01-2018, 06:33 PM
If you do another such recording, you could try miking up the fretboard and mixing a small amount of that in with the piezo sound. That should add in a little more realism - a bit of finger sound and some extra high frequencies from the strings. It's not something I've done myself, but it's something my producer friends recommend.

Couldn't agree more Simon.

I generally mic my mates Tak at the neck / body junction over or just below the strings and on the lower bout just behind the bridge, mixing the two give a rather satisfactory result, I apply EQ and light Comp on each track and then a bit more of both and maybe a bit of Verb or colour on the mixed master acoustic track, mic back around 6" or 150mm for you younguns.

Finding the best mic placement can remove a lot if work in sorting the tracks later, moving the mic around and getting the best from the natural characteristics of the room is most of the battle

Stray away from the sound hole, too much boom lives there and it's hard to tame.

OliSam
07-02-2018, 10:44 AM
I watched this guitar come together and felt a fascination for doing one like it. It has such clean and simple lines.
Now I’ve heard it I am powered up to try it out for myself.
Just gorgeous mate!

Sent from outta space using MartianTalk

robin
07-02-2018, 06:44 PM
Thanks Sam, it turned out better than it had a right to. I'm very happy with it.

I say, give it a go mate. If I can make one, anyone can.