PDA

View Full Version : Lp kits?

Mr.Drifter
14-01-2018, 05:06 PM
Sorry for asking here if it's the wrong place. Had a bit of a search for an existing thread, but had no luck finding anything.

Feel free to delete if it's still a sensitive subject, and you can't really discuss yet still.

But yeah, just curious on the lp kit dealio. I recall adam saying there was a trademark dealio, and you weren't sure if you could keep doing the kits in a legal sense because of that. He did say he might have an answer before the end of 2017, but you can never tell with these things hah.
Only reason I'm curious is another rival company in a sense is selling lp style kits, and pre-made lp style guitars. I'm assuming if they are, either it's legally not too bad, or they don't care for some reason.

Mainly curious as I'm keen to get an lp style guitar hah

adam
16-01-2018, 04:55 PM
Hi Mr Drifter, apologies for the slow response... it's been kinda crazy lately.

Bottom line: the whole LP issue is complex and unclear. Some Aussie (and US, UK and European) companies are still selling these kits and even finished guitars, and it might be perfectly legal. They are clearly not the genuine thing and I don't think anyone would confuse them as being genuine.

That said, we are playing it safe and not listing them on our site, at this time. I don't expect this to change anytime soon, but it may resolve if and when new information or advice comes our way.

Mr.Drifter
16-01-2018, 06:55 PM
Hi Mr Drifter, apologies for the slow response... it's been kinda crazy lately.

Bottom line: the whole LP issue is complex and unclear. Some Aussie (and US, UK and European) companies are still selling these kits and even finished guitars, and it might be perfectly legal. They are clearly not the genuine thing and I don't think anyone would confuse them as being genuine.

That said, we are playing it safe and not listing them on our site, at this time. I don't expect this to change anytime soon, but it may resolve if and when new information or advice comes our way.

Ahh, that's fair enough. Thanks for the response, fingers crossed something comes along.

The other question on my mind is, why is it only the les paul shape? Why haven't they gone after the explorer, sg and what not shapes as well? Or is it just because the les paul is the most iconic in a sense?