PDA

View Full Version : Copper tape vs conductive paint?

JohnH
02-01-2018, 02:29 PM
Any thoughts on what is best for shielding cavities? I'm as interested in ease of application and aesthetics as functionality (though not to the exclusion of functionality - if one works considerably better than the other, even if it's a pain to install and looks fugly, it's clearly worth using)

WeirdBits
02-01-2018, 02:44 PM
Copper is easier, faster and more consistent. Conductive paint usually needs multiple coats but is better for difficult spaces and if you're doing bare pickups etc. Horses for courses.

Also, conductive paint can tend to go off/harden in the can once it's been opened so if you're not using it regularly or all at once a lot can get wasted. So, potentially plus to cost.

JohnH
02-01-2018, 03:58 PM
Thanks WeirdBits, that makes it a pretty obvious choice!

Bass Guy
03-01-2018, 07:51 AM
I'm thinking of using conductive paint on the Thylacine project as copper might play havoc with the aesthetic, not to mention the size of area I'll need to cover. Any recommendations of brands, types etc?

WeirdBits
03-01-2018, 03:26 PM
I've only used the StewMac stuff (http://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_Electronics/Shielding/Conductive_Shielding_Paint.html), the reviews cover most advice/experience. Give it at least 3 coats with min 24hrs in between, you need each coat to set/dry chemically before the next one is applied.

DrNomis_44
05-01-2018, 09:36 AM
A good idea would be to go to your local Jaycar Electronics store and buy a multimeter, it can be either an analog one or a digital one, reason being is that a multimeter will come in handy for checking that the copper foil, or conductive paint, is conductive where it should be in order to effectively act as a shield to reduce hum-noise in your guitar.

wazkelly
05-01-2018, 06:21 PM
I have used some conductive paint in PUP cavities on Humbucker builds and also on my J Bass but used copper tape in the control cavities for added protection.