PDA

View Full Version : A warning bell on getting parts...

Marcel
30-12-2017, 07:35 PM
If you follow the link there is a 6 month old Wall street fluff piece about the supply and demand mantra that the 'men in suits' are well known for, but it does remind us all (pro electronics guru's and kit amp/pedal builders alike) that many of those familiar items with long histories (read 'antique amps') may soon disappear entirely from our parts box's... A time will soon come that if it can't go into a car autonomy system or a mobile phone or a TV or PC then it won't be on the shelves of our parts suppliers ...

"Yeah, we can easily get the tubes, but can't get the exact resistors. I do have a very similar equivalent" is already something that I'm finding myself saying to customers. True fact - I've had 3 values of very specific 1/2W axial lead resistor on backorder for over 6 months, and two values only just delivered after a 5 month wait... and I personally can't see the situation getting any better for these components that were very common only 10 years ago.

Heaven forbid the day when every amp in a music store is made entirely from those microscopic SMD components.... It may not be in our lifetimes, but it could well be the norm for our descendants .... Most wouldn't care but some of the music industry people might take up the often despised moto of "Don't go throwing out that old broken amp cos we may just need it in the future for parts..."

https://epsnews.com/2017/06/06/27098/

Simon Barden
30-12-2017, 07:53 PM
Both interesting and scary, Marcel. I've taken the liberty of quoting you in a post in the DIY section of the Sound On Sound UK forum.

Dedman
30-12-2017, 08:07 PM
Well, consider you can build a brand new MG, a brand new Manx Norton, a brand new 32 Ford, complete and to original specs. As they said, very much a supply and demand thing but there is always a void before someone steps up to fill it.

and welcome back Simon

Adam Barnes
30-12-2017, 08:16 PM
Dottto what deady said

Simon Barden
30-12-2017, 08:24 PM
and welcome back Simon
Cheers. Got a couple of kits that should be arriving in the new year so I took a bit of a break before then as I wasn't building anything due to the onset of winter in the UK. New guitar and bass will be stained and Tru-Oiled so I can work on them indoors.

chrissyinbkk
30-12-2017, 08:27 PM
Nice to see you back Simon

Simon Barden
30-12-2017, 08:34 PM
Thanks. Got some catching up to do!

Marcel
31-12-2017, 06:30 AM
Both interesting and scary, Marcel. I've taken the liberty of quoting you in a post in the DIY section of the Sound On Sound UK forum.

No problem Simon...

Dedman
31-12-2017, 07:29 AM
bit the same here at present Simon, too hot to work on guitars, I have a custom coming in March but am going away in April (saving frantically) so I'll be a bit quiet for a while.