PDA

View Full Version : Rotary tool options?

Derek82
29-12-2017, 01:12 PM
Dremels seem like the standard, but there's so many options out there. What have you guys had success with to bevel edges, finish, route extra pickup cavities etc? Thanks for your replies!

Derek.

FrankenWashie
29-12-2017, 01:26 PM
Hi Derek, Dremels and their myriad clones are okay to tidy up an existing rout, but to do one fresh you’d really want a palm router as a minimum. You’d need to pre drill, or “hog out” with a series of Forstner bits first and then use the router to clean up to your template.
The dremel style tools with appropriate bases do make good jobs of things like inlay or adjusting control cavities where you don’t have a lot of material removal to do, but you’d be taxing it, and your patience to do a full humbucker rout with one. Just my Humble opinion of course, I’m sure there’s guys who’ve done it with a dremel.

Andy40
29-12-2017, 01:29 PM
Similarly to what FW said, Dremel for tidings but I use an $79 plunge router from the big green shed for proper routs. It does the job

Derek82
29-12-2017, 02:38 PM
Cheers guys!

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

tommycarlos
24-01-2018, 07:43 AM
I just got the cheap Ozito "rotary tool" to enlarge the vibrato route on my JZ-1 (so I could put in a Squire vibrato).

I am really happy with it so far... compatible with Dremel accessories etc...

Next on my list is a plunge router to be able to do more complex routing.

Joe3334
24-01-2018, 10:14 AM
Dremels seem like the standard, but there's so many options out there. What have you guys had success with to bevel edges, finish, route extra pickup cavities etc? Thanks for your replies!

Derek.

This isn't a rotary tool but I have used Shinto saw rasps to bevel edges of guitars and create arm and belly contours. It's a very nice tool to have and it's made in Japan so it's high quality.

Brownsworthy
24-01-2018, 12:12 PM
I have a dremel 400 it has been fairly useful for a lot of different projects though don't expect too much from them as they're more suited to light duties.

The bloke from Crimson Guitars uses a proxxon brand rotary tool which looks a little more robust than the dremel I think they're around $180-200 rrp.