PDA

View Full Version : Butterscotch Question

swinnall
24-12-2017, 07:26 AM
Hi All

I am soon to start an ES-5V kit with the finish to be Dingotone Butterscotch all over.

I am worried about how this finish will look over the white bindings or whether I need to mask the binding? If masking is needed how do you mask around the top curved binding? I am happy with a slightly yellowish vintage binding look if thats how it will turn out.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

Steve W

wokkaboy
24-12-2017, 09:01 AM
Hi Steve, you can mask the binding but it takes time and patience. I usually don't and every 2 or 3 coats use fine steel wool to remove the DT off the binding. Make sure it's cured for at least 2 or 3 days. Or you can wait till the staining is finished and carefully scrape it off with a blade. Butterscotch will look great on a ES-5V

Brendan
24-12-2017, 09:57 AM
Wokks is the champ here Steve - alternate is to mask the big side of the binding and leave the 1.5mm on the top and scrape back at the end. Half way between Wokks and full masking, but only takes a few minutes.

churchie
05-01-2018, 05:36 PM
I have received my Butterscotch DT. Pity that my kit still hasn't arrived yet (....long story)

I am after some advice specific to the butterscotch.

There is a bottle of the stain and a white base, as well as the finishing coat.

Just not sure how to approach the stain/white coat - combine them? alternate them?

Simon Barden
05-01-2018, 07:22 PM
If it's an early Fender-type butterscotch blonde look you're after, then there was normally a thin white spray coat applied first, followed by 'clear' lacquer coats on top. This clear lacquer was actually yellow/amber tinted (true clear lacquers appeared in the '60s), and also yellowed more over time. Later versions use a more creamy base coat, a clear amber tint over that then clear coats for protection.

I know nothing about DT waxes apart from what I've read here, but personally I'd imagine that you apply the white base coat then apply the stain coat on top until you reach the level of butterscotch you desire. But the PBG web site info says the Butterscotch kit has a stain, intensifier and finish coat, (though this may be a cut and paste error in this particular instance).

The kit is supposed to come with instructions (obviously not in this instance) so I'd email Adam for proper guidance.

Fretworn
06-01-2018, 06:53 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVBIp3q3cms