PDA

View Full Version : Neodymium and ceramic pickups

brokin009
06-12-2017, 12:11 PM
Hi Guys,

i have an enquiry and hopefully someone would be able to help. i am looking at building a guitar that will he a 5 way switch with HSH setup. The question i have, will it have any issues if was running both neodymium pickups and ceramic pickups (e.g. ceramic/neodymium/ceramic or the other way around). I know the neodymium is a more powerful magnet than the ceramic magnet, but wasn't sure if they will work to together fine or if i need to stick to the same type.
Any thoughts or opinions?

thanks guys

Sonic Mountain
06-12-2017, 01:26 PM
I'm still pretty new to this, but from my understanding, I think they will work fine. Electrically, guitars are pretty simple, there is nothing that would stop you running very different pickup styles. The problem might be in terms of output, meaning adjustments to the volume whenever you move the switch. I'm sure there would be a way around that though.

Fretworn
06-12-2017, 02:29 PM
You may have to adjust pickup height to balance volume levels, but otherwise should be no problem.

WeirdBits
06-12-2017, 02:29 PM
Pickup height tweaks can also help to balance the volume levels across the different types.

Sonic Mountain
06-12-2017, 02:37 PM
You may have to adjust pickup height to balance volume levels, but otherwise should be no problem

Pickup height tweaks can also help to balance the volume levels across the different types.

Ah of course!

WeirdBits
06-12-2017, 02:41 PM
Stay out of my head Frets! ;)

wokkaboy
06-12-2017, 02:42 PM
bwhahah SNAP Weirdy you got pipped by Fretty !

Fretworn
07-12-2017, 05:41 AM
bwhahah SNAP Weirdy you got pipped by Fretty !

Just spreading Christmas cheer...

brokin009
07-12-2017, 06:01 AM
thanks guys, i thought that may have been the case with just and adjustment of the pickup height. thanks again
hopefully soon i will order my new kit and then the fun begins!!