PDA

View Full Version : Coil Splitting the Stock Pickups

thyoungscientist
15-11-2017, 02:46 PM
Hello Forum Members,
I was wondering if anyone here knows how to coil split them and what push pull pots they would reccomend

The kit is the PRS-1H.

Also, I have looked into the ‘Free-way Switch’, is that any good?

Thanks

Dedman
15-11-2017, 03:07 PM
Hi, to split the coils all you really need are a couple of 500k push pull pots. I don't have a stock humbucker at hand right now to tell you which wires are the split ( I presume they are 4 wire pups) . I'm sure someone will add the info
I have used a Freeway on a build and it was the answer I needed but I was splitting 3 humbuckers plus having bridge,neck and middle .It would be over kill for 2 pickups unless you wanted to do in/out of phase as well as splits. Fiddly things to solder up if you are a novice solder-er like me!

wokkaboy
15-11-2017, 03:22 PM
Hi TYS, can you please post a pic of the pickup wires ? I have a feeling if they are just hot wire and earth they need to be modified to have 4 wires which someone has done a small tutorial a while ago, maybe Scott (Weirdbits).
I think a freeway switch generally has 6 positions so builders with 3 humbuckers use it and still have a toggle style switch.
You will need 1 or 2 x 500k push pull pots depending if you want to be able to control neck and bridge pup on one pot or separate on 2 pots.

If you haven't mucked around with modifying pickups might be easier to get a pair of coil splittable humbuckers that have the 4 wires that make this possible. Have a look on the PBG shop for Entwistle pups

Andy40
15-11-2017, 04:58 PM
DB did the thread

http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=1691

thyoungscientist
17-11-2017, 03:27 AM
I might just wait for enough money to get a seymour duncan or toneriders

Dedman
17-11-2017, 06:18 AM
Tone Riders are great value for money!

Old Tooth Hopkins
17-11-2017, 07:14 AM
Thanks for asking this Young Scientist, I am planning on doing this myself.

Dedman
17-11-2017, 09:39 AM
here is a diagram for a typical LP style wiring with splits on push pulls

and for single vol and tone pots

http://guitarelectronics.com has diagrams for a LOT of combinations, if what you are trying to do isn't there, hit up Weirdbits here on the forum.

thyoungscientist
06-12-2017, 08:20 AM
Awesome thank you