PDA

View Full Version : Wax Potting Pick Ups

jaybennz
15-11-2017, 12:57 AM
I have some kick ass old Teisco Goldfoil pickups that I want to wire into my current guitar project, the only problem is they're really noisy. Lots of extra squeals and feedback. I am thinking about wax potting them to cut down on any excess noise. I'm hoping between that and lots of copper shielding it should take care of the problem. Does anyone have any info or tips about how to go about wax potting?

dave.king1
15-11-2017, 03:24 AM
Check out Shazrandoms GFS build diary she potted her pickups and put the whole process on YouTube

Andy40
15-11-2017, 04:23 PM
I bought some paraffin wax and Bees Wax from an online candle supplier. Had to buy a heap of the stuff
I use an old 70's crock pot and a meat thermometer.
Melt down 80% paraffin wax and 20% Bees Wax in the crock pot and keep at about 145 degrees F
Then dip the pups in the stuff - 27 mins will fill it right up with wax, if you want a bit less put them in for 15mins
check out this link http://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Online_Resources/Learn_About_Guitar_Pickups_and_Electronics_and_Wir ing/Wax_potting_pickups.html

jaybennz
15-11-2017, 11:12 PM
Awesome. Thanks for the help!

Fretworn
16-11-2017, 05:39 AM
I'd google other peoples experiences with potting Gold Foil pickups. They are naturally microphonic and they their structure may require a different approach.