PDA

View Full Version : PBG Instruction Manual version 1.0

adam
08-11-2017, 05:12 PM
Good news everybody!

There has been much work behind the scenes on our PBG Instruction Manual.

Massive thanks to Dedman for taking on the job of collating and writing new content for our Manual. Thanks to him, we now have a first draft available for your reviewing pleasure:

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/pdf/Pit%20Bull%20Guitars%20Instruction%20Manual%20vers ion%201.0.pdf (http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/pdf/Pit%20Bull%20Guitars%20Instruction%20Manual%20vers ion%201.0.pdf)

Please do not distribute this, as it is very much a work in progress.

We encourage all members, who have the time, to review this first draft and provide feedback on this thread.

Remember, this should be a Manual directed at a new builder, building their first kit. It should be easy to follow and not use any unnecessary jargon or overly-technical terms.

We also don't want to go too deep in the guitar building labyrinth. For instance, Dedman has included a section about fret leveling. At first I thought this might be outside the scope for the "newbie" focus, but it is an important process and, the way he explains it, is pretty easy to follow (even for me).

If we want to get into instructions for processes like coil-splitting, active battery cavity installation, pickup routing, etc, then we can do this on dedicated Forum threads. I don't think we want a manual that is too imposing for a first timer.

This is a massive project and I believe this is just the first (giant) step.

I envision this Manual as a "Live" document, that will constantly be updated, with new processes and updates for "best practice" (sorry, I work for the Government)

I would like everyone's input. However, if you feel inspired and want to get more involved in this project, send me a PM and we can put together an "A Team" for the peer review process... goddammit.

Kick
09-11-2017, 01:43 AM
I downloaded the pdf to my pc to read when I have time. I'll mention my remarks later.

Andy40
09-11-2017, 03:03 AM
Had a quick glance, lookin good so far.

Is there anything that Dedman cant do?

I bet it took sheer self-discipline not to put any black on there except the font;)

Dedman
09-11-2017, 06:31 AM
LOL Andy, I did manage to get the DM-1 kit in there however :cool:

Sonic Mountain
09-11-2017, 07:02 AM
Just had a quick skim through, that looks really solid! Nice work all. Amazing how much info there is even on a 'basic' level. I'll have a proper read through a bit later on. This will be a great resource.

FredA
09-11-2017, 11:06 AM
Looks great guys!

I would add page numbers in footers for people who may decide to print the doc instead of using pdf, and maybe a small logo with doc title in header? That would ensure that any page extracted from the pdf still shows the PBG logo.

Sonic Mountain
09-11-2017, 01:22 PM
Yep page numbers and a logo on each page - possibly in the header or footer would be a good idea. I'm pretty sure you can set that up in word so that it happens automatically.

Also, just noticed a typo or more likely autocorrect error: Last page "for guitars with floating bridges the same apples..." should probably read 'applies'.

I still haven't had time to have a detailed read through, but I really like the tone you've set and the information is terrific. I'm really busy for the next month or so, but I'm happy to help out with any extra diagrams or anything you might need.

adam
09-11-2017, 03:46 PM
Thanks guys, header included (Logo and Title), Page Numbers added and "apples" typo fixed.

Keep 'em coming.

DaveC64
09-11-2017, 05:45 PM
I found 2 other typos
"If you think you are missing someone" instead of "If you think you are missing something" I thought that was a good one and I also came across "touse" in stead of "to use".
Typos aside a valuable resource, I am sure for years to come it can only get better.
I liked the part about the attaching pots to aquarium air tubing to pull them into position on hollow bodies.
Excellent advice in there I look forward to my xmas Present ES-3 thanks Adam.

Kick
09-11-2017, 11:01 PM
This is what I found:

Use page numbering

There is an index with pagenumbers but that doesn’t help you when the pages itself are not numbered.

I see that this is already tackled!

Page 4: My Build Diary:
"The very first thing you should do, as soon as you receive your kit (or even before), is to start your build diary in the My Build Diary forum and post your build progress."

When reading this I feel like it is a bit ‘mandatory’ that someone must open a dairy. What if I do not want to do this? Or what if I am not handy enough with computers and uploading images?
Perhaps replacing this: The very first thing you should do into this: The very first thing you could do?

Page 6: 4. “Sand, sand, and sand again. Then, when you think you have sanded enough, sand it some more.” – our Resident Luthier’s motto

This advice is NOT for bodies with the 0.6 mm thin veneer!!!
I see that this warning is on page 17: If your kit has a veneered top such as Spalted, Flame, or Quilted Maple, DO NOT SAND THE TOP! The veneer is less than a millimetre thick and it is incredibly easy to sand through it.
So please put this warning at page 6.

edit: forgot to mention that this is a very good document and I think Dedman did a great job on this!

adam
10-11-2017, 05:25 AM
Thanks Kick and Dave C; your suggested edits have been made.

Dedman
10-11-2017, 05:32 AM
it's amazing how many times you can read a document and still find typo's or spooling errors :p

chrissyinbkk
10-11-2017, 05:39 AM
Cannot comment on the manual itself as it is the likes of me that will rely on it... to me it's well done, but being a Pom had to find one tiny error... page 27, the pic of the jack.. we would spell it piece not peice....

Sonic Mountain
10-11-2017, 05:54 AM
it's amazing how many times you can read a document and still find typo's or spooling errors :p

I have this all the time, you can't see the forest for the trees. The amount of things I've printed only to realise there is a typo or something I missed on screen is embarrassing. I wouldn't stress man, this is why you get others to check your work.

Dedman
10-11-2017, 06:25 AM
a few years back I wrote a few fiction stories, I don't know how many times I've read them, loads of people read them on a couple of forums, I read one last week and found several typos LOL :p

Marcel
10-11-2017, 07:32 AM
I felt rather honoured when I saw one of my build photos in the the wonderful work that Dedman has created. Actually I loved it, however I do see the faults in my own work and would prefer that another photo which I'll upload soon be used that has those faults removed.

I also think that where photos have come from build diaries that a comment beside the photo indicating the source would be nice. Something like "Bridge assembly of 'The Blaster' a SGJ-1 kit as done by Forum member XYZ." would be helpful to a/ limit the scope of applicability of some photos and b/ point builders back towards the build diaries by others which gives added weight to how useful they are.

Rabbitz
10-11-2017, 08:26 AM

I guess that's why editors and proofreaders used to exist - it is essentially impossible to proofread your own work.

Your brain plays tricks - it knows exactly what you wanted to say, so that is what you see.

Proofreading was a trade with a three year apprenticeship.

Dedman
10-11-2017, 12:15 PM
I guess that's why editors and proofreaders used to exist - it is essentially impossible to proofread your own work.

Your brain plays tricks - it knows exactly what you wanted to say, so that is what you see.

Proofreading was a trade with a three year apprenticeship.

yep, had a few friends who were proof ,readers, type setters, layout....all those trades are gone.

Kick
10-11-2017, 10:28 PM
I also think that where photos have come from build diaries that a comment beside the photo indicating the source would be nice. Something like "Bridge assembly of 'The Blaster' a SGJ-1 kit as done by Forum member XYZ." would be helpful to a/ limit the scope of applicability of some photos and b/ point builders back towards the build diaries by others which gives added weight to how useful they are.
I totally agree with you Marcel. This way you actually can show what the possibilities are to build your own guitar. Great idea!

Just thinking of it: it could be a nice idea to make a photo collage of builds of GOTM from the past to end the document.

adam
11-11-2017, 04:35 AM

Hi Marcel, absolutely, we should always credit photos where they are not taken by PBG. We'll get onto this for the next Draft.

Also, if anyone has photos that would fill these spots, example: (INSERT PIC SHOWING PROPERLY CLAMPED NECK), post them here or email to me, if you are happy for them to be used.

Marcel
11-11-2017, 07:54 AM
Some clamped set-neck photos you can use.

Kick
11-11-2017, 10:02 PM
I used a block of wood with spaces to prevent damage to the frets:

http://www.webferrets.nl/images/other/kit/43.jpg

http://www.webferrets.nl/images/other/kit/44.jpg

adam
12-11-2017, 04:51 AM
Great photos Marcel and Kick, I will be using a couple of these. Thanks

DaveC64
16-11-2017, 02:09 PM
Great photos Marcel and Kick, I will be using a couple of these. ThanksI used 2 clamps on my sg placed side by side on the tongue.
They were not as big as Marcel's clamp.

stuzl873213
16-11-2017, 10:17 PM
This is what I found:

Use page numbering

There is an index with pagenumbers but that doesn’t help you when the pages itself are not numbered.

I see that this is already tackled!

Page 4: My Build Diary:
"The very first thing you should do, as soon as you receive your kit (or even before), is to start your build diary in the My Build Diary forum and post your build progress."

When reading this I feel like it is a bit ‘mandatory’ that someone must open a dairy. What if I do not want to do this? Or what if I am not handy enough with computers and uploading images?
Perhaps replacing this: The very first thing you should do into this: The very first thing you could do?

Page 6: 4. “Sand, sand, and sand again. Then, when you think you have sanded enough, sand it some more.” – our Resident Luthier’s motto

This advice is NOT for bodies with the 0.6 mm thin veneer!!!
I see that this warning is on page 17: If your kit has a veneered top such as Spalted, Flame, or Quilted Maple, DO NOT SAND THE TOP! The veneer is less than a millimetre thick and it is incredibly easy to sand through it.
So please put this warning at page 6.

edit: forgot to mention that this is a very good document and I think Dedman did a great job on this!

Each time I hit the link I get a 404 error

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chrissyinbkk
17-11-2017, 01:34 AM
The link works fine for me stuzl

D1git
17-11-2017, 07:05 AM
looking good.

only typo that jumped out during a quick look was

For the next step, we need either a 12ft radius sanding block or a large straight edge. A builder’s level, about 600mm (2ft), is also ideal.

think it should read 12in

great work so far, will see if I can draw up a 2 volume 1 tone plus 3 way wiring diagram as I didn't find one on the PBG site

adam
18-11-2017, 07:12 AM
The Instruction Manual is now on the site.

As it says on the cover, this will be a live document and continually updated as we add processes and update processes with new and better techniques.

Thanks again to everyone who contributed to this project.

Simon Barden
02-01-2018, 10:29 PM
Just starting to read through it.

Pg 5, list item 8. "Use a drill size slightly smaller than the screw. If you hold the drill over the shaft of
the screw you should still be able to see the threads on both sides".

As too small a drill bit will still allow you to see the thread on both sides. I suggest this is modified to something along the lines of:
"Use a drill size slightly smaller than the screw. If you hold the drill over the shaft of the screw, you should still be able to see the threads on both sides, but not the main part of the shaft".

Also on Pg 5 in the tools list

"Coping saw (only if your kits head stock came unshaped)" should really read "Coping saw (only if your kit's headstock came unshaped).

(Will do a pdf markup).

Kirk3377
11-06-2019, 08:52 AM
I see nothing about the SH-1 headless guitar. I’m having installation problems with the bridge, and have nowhere to find information that will help me finish it. It would be a big help if that type of guitar had some type of instructions in the build guide. Thanks.

Rabbitz
11-06-2019, 02:37 PM
I see nothing about the SH-1 headless guitar. I’m having installation problems with the bridge, and have nowhere to find information that will help me finish it. It would be a big help if that type of guitar had some type of instructions in the build guide. Thanks.

Ask your questions in the general forums.

We new and inexperienced builders are very lucky that there are a whole raft of experienced builders and luthiers who love to help out.

Just ask, no question is too simple or too hard.

Cliff Rogers
31-08-2019, 06:19 AM
G'day.

I just spotted this on page 26.

Capacitors: .022 caps are used with single coil pickups and .047 with Humbuckers.
I reckon it should be the other way around.

fclare441
11-06-2020, 11:15 AM
Thanks for all the work you have put into the manual and videos, they are really helpful. I have an ST12 and it came with the tremelo springs but it is not a tremolo bridge nor is there a cavity in the back of the body. I assume you just simply screw the bridge in place. Hope this makes sense.
Regards

Clare

Perth Western Australia

colin2121
11-06-2020, 01:05 PM
Hi Clare some photos of the guitar and springs are helpful.
Sounds like you scored some spare parts though. This sometimes happens.
So long as you have the right bridge then it is okay.

Browny1010
13-02-2021, 12:35 PM
Is there a problem with the site? Downloading the Instruction Manual does not work. Tried two devices.